Trump Presidency X-like American History X, but without the laughs

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lin Wood became nationally famous for representing Nicholas Sandmann, the Cincinnati high schooler who became famous for the picture of him smiling/smirking at an American Indian in DC. Now he's one of Trump's most passionate and crazy advocates on election litigation.

And "crazy" may be literal here.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...lin-wood-claimed-god-directed-him/5716153002/

There's a lawsuit regarding the breakup of his former law partnership. Among the pieces of evidence are electronic communications from him to others at the law firm stating that his (Wood's) actions were commanded by the Almighty. And he also referred to himself as the Almighty. Another email referenced his determination to ruin others financially in his own Valentine's Day massacre.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Defund the police" isn't a goal. It's an opening position in bargaining.

If you start with a mealy-mouthed position like "reform", you are never going to get anywhere. "Reform" means nothing.

ElJefe, luftmensch, ElNaranja and 9 others repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This level of corruption is simply staggering and infuriating. This dude should never be a senator.

Sen. David Purdue (R-GA) has made 2,596 trades during his Senate term — about as much as the next five most active traders in the Senate combined, the New York Timesreports.
    Many trades were in companies with stakes in policy matters before committees he served on.

Deadtigers, dapip and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Openly corrupt, on the belief that a sitting Republican Senator can do whatever he wants in Georgia. He might be right, too.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's make up our mind.....I am hearing from the Squad that is is a policy demand. What is it exactly?:rolleyes:
    The original point made by Obama, and discussed here for weeks now, is that it is a snappy slogan and self defeating one to boot.

raza_rebel and EyesOnBall repped this.
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how you can look at the cities on both coasts that are shifting funds from the police departments to community services and not draw the conclusion that it is happening because of the mantra.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with your post, but as you said, it has shifted the discussion from just "reforming the police" to shifting funding away from police departments and to community services. The entire reason the last two sentences in your post is even being discussed right now is because of "Defund the Police". Prior to this summer, the discussion was around officer training and with little to no discussion about reducing their load.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I am not sure how you can come to that conclusion either. There is basically zero evidence. So let's agree that we disagree.

xtomx repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Rightsize the police and then the military! Who's with me?

tenor (4).gif

Mike03 and dapip repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe my hometown blinders were on, but I thought he got fairly famous nationally for representing Richard Jewell in his lawsuits against the FBI, AJC, etc., etc., for being an initial suspect in the 1996 Olympic Park bombing.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea at all how that's supposed ti follow logically.

xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You do know what negotiation is, right? You don't start where you expect to end up. And if you don't take your position seriously, the other side won't either.

ElJefe and luftmensch repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ding ding ding

The reason I posted the tweet is that AOC and Dan Pfeiffer agree on the key point.

Activists don't care about Dem pols. They want to reform their local police forces by attacking their funding. Federal politicians actually have little influence over local policing anyway. tldr; the DNC doesn't control activists.

Dems would benefit from central messaging. But also, they need to confront the central issue instead of trying to make it safe and tidy. So it would help if AOC and co didn't go on about it. But also Biden did successfully confront the issue and stake out a clear position on it, and it didn't hurt him at all.

That's my understanding as well. Reform like "training" is the safe way of doing nothing.

In the end there is no way to avoid the central conflict which is directly challenging the powerbase of police leadership - by hitting their cash.

Obama is obviously correct here that the slogan is counterproductive to building social support for change. But I also believe the slogan achieved real traction in terms of organising because it captures the core concept. An activist in LA rightly does not give one fvck if Conor Lamb is going to get re-elected in PA.

As usual, the real problem in the US, as Jon Stewart points out, is the false narratives that the media gets bogged down in - instead of making any real change.

Mike03 and song219 repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #4014 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    I believe there was a fascinating battle for DA in LA County - part of a wider effort to get progressive DAs who aren't the political pawns of the police unions who back them

https://www.latimes.com/california/...-elected-prosecutors-are-feeling-the-pressure

IIRC Mayor Garcetti is redirecting 150m from LA police to other services.

Vietor's interview with Gascón is fascinating because it squarely confronts the issue that if you take money away, the mantra will immediately be "less front line police!/more crime" no matter what you call it.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It is such a complicated issue because we know suburban voters now have majority support for BLM since Floyd but also largely don't support budget cuts for police. But they also hold local concerns about the size of budgets, and significant cuts have since been made in the Corona times.

If you ask me, a better political slogan is something like "unbundling' or something more in the cost cutting / restructuring direction.

But at the end of the day, isn't this more a local government issue than federal?

As I understand it, Biden has few levers to address issues with police unions?

16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Obama actually was leading reform within policing. DoJ Holder was actively investigating police departments and pushing consent decrees to reduce use of force. 1994 Crime Bill gave the DoJ the authority to police the police.

He was actively trying to demilitarize the police, but could only do so by an executive order in 2015. Trump immediately reversed that. It's been law since 1990 under the National Defense Authorization Act to let police get surplus military goods.

Recently (although 2020 is going to be out of whack), the Fed Govt is paying for about 20% of police budgets nationally. I'm sure it isn't consistent from municipality to municipality. That's a significant chunk.

But yeah, ultimately it's a local issue. Even a DoJ consent decree can't fix anything if the department refuses to change and the local govt who signs the policing contract doesn't go along.

The Jitty Slitter and charlie15 repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is where I found the politics of the issue in LA to be so revealing but also insane.

1. Police Unions financially support the campaigns of regressive DA's who then refuse to prosecute violent cops.

2. Where pols support defunding/unbundling (or even just a standstill) police unions start straight up with the message of less cops/more crime!!! even when that is not true

3. Police unions make a reality of "more crime" by doing go slows on certain crime - e.g. property crime - to punish progressive politicians

The whole thing is rotten

David Simon was way ahead of his time

Mike03 and dapip repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LaTosha Brown is not happy with Obama

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 12.07.48.png

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I have spent most of my professional life around negotiations. One thing I know, some openings statements in negotiations can be a deal breaker, specially if the other side is looking for an opportunity not to come to the bargaining table.

On that note, as a matter of fact, I can argue that the slogan gave the Police and specially their unions much needed oxygen and breathing room. It allowed them to avoid a full head on collision with the public. This term slowed the momentum and distracted the emerging consensus among the public to go further than ever in curtailing reckless and illegal police behavior.
    The term requires nuance and a lengthy explanation, so from the get go, it is a losing mantra. One thing some fail to realize, despite everything, the Police is a pretty popular institution in the American society, still polling pretty high despite the all the horror stories. I can't wrap my head that rational and intelligent people don't realize (or pretend not to) that is it a ********ING stupid and self defeating slogan.

onefineesq, luftmensch, Unimane and 3 others repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The whole saga is really sad at the end of the day

charlie15 repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IMHO, it worked both ways. If you are somewhat liberal and saw all the images of the police going full fash and displaying their expensive toys while clubbing and gassing pacific protestors, you probably understood what “Defund” was aiming for.

OTOH, if you have a “Blue Lives Matter” sticker in your car, think protestors should not walk by your front lawn, and think that a counterfeit $20 deserves the death penalty, you also probably enjoyed the Trump TV spots blaming Biden for the police slow response.

TBH, there’s not that many people in this country that is in the middle on any issue, and the fact that liberal cities are the ones taking some steps towards reform tells you where it had a positive effect, and also the other way around.

russ and luftmensch repped this.
  22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don’t know why the thought of him pardoning everyone but Melania made me laugh...but it made me laugh a lot. Out loud. I don’t care...do you?

Auriaprottu, xtomx, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Trump dream - if she's in prison then no alimony!

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    He would have to send it to her prison account.

xtomx and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    She'll have the Top Ramen and Kool Aid packets she can not eat

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.