Troy Perkins

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mike4066, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys happy with his play? I thought he was caught out of position way too much today (and other days). Just wondering what some DC fans think of him.

2. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Rimando now! Oh wait...

3. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    totally blame the coaching !

how can the past Defender of the Year (Bobby Boswell) ... and

the past MVP (Gomez) go to mediocrity ?

how can Fred, Emilio and Moreno be so misused ?

coaching, coaching decisions and coaching tactics.

Tom Schoen must be SHOWN the door !

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well I'm glad everyone is taking some time to cool down before posting measured reactions to tonight's performance.

:D

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Troy Perkins NOW!

What are we talking about?

6. dtduffy

dtduffy New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Washington, DC
    We are still talking about the same Troy Perkins who bailed out the defense numerous times this year and kept us in multiple games, right.

7. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Member

Aug 6, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troy probably could be a contender for defender of the year, he's saved our defense so many times.

8. Foousic

Foousic New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Washington/Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is idiotic.

9. stupidjet

stupidjet New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    rockville, maryland
    their were some other players who made some bad decisions...cough...great game and i'm so proud of DC UNITED!!!!

and you FANatics are amazing!

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United just got eliminated from the playoffs, there's going to be about are thousand similar idiotic threads over the next few days.

11. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Member

Aug 6, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Simms.

12. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Perkins ZERO for this playoff failure. Sure he takes risks, and most times hes money. He was this series. This was all defenders letting Perkins down. Perkins had almost no chance on any of the goals. Perkins is young, and coming into his prime. Hell be back next year, and probably for a while after that for sure.

13. asciibaron

asciibaron New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Millersville
    I believe Perkins over the season has performed well. the team has been in a funk since September - i have no idea why, but it seems the entire team just went flat.

i can not sit here and fault Troy, esp. after pulling a yellow card while knocking down what could have been a 3rd goal.

as Perkins matures in play, we'll see him courted by the EPL where he'll excel. he did not lose the playoffs for DC, the defense and coaching are the issue.

-steve

14. jwgreen40

jwgreen40 Member

Jun 18, 2003
    I noticed that our drop off in wins/ties happened right after the Chivas Guadalajara game which was the last game Josh Gros played in. I really think that was a big factor here. Josh is just such a disruptor and fighter to the end.

15. asciibaron

asciibaron New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Millersville
    THIS.

16. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Perkins was caught out a couple of times, but that's mostly 'cause our back line got abused. Two of his out-of-the-penalty-area jaunts came when Burch and Vanney were out of position on an offside trap. Seriously, though, we didn't pressure Chicago for SQUAT in the middle third of the field for the first 50 minutes of the game, and were sorta soft on them in the defensive third. That's why I was not-so-secretly pleased when McTavish came on and got a yellow within 5 minutes for a challenge on Blanco the diving wonderp***y.

Yes, as a matter of fact I AM gonna say that when I mention Blanco....

...the diving wonderp***y...

Cripes, the girls on my daughters u12 team two years ago threw fewer hissy fits.

17. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    That's' why I hate those damn international competitions that we constantly lose in. We started the season crappy after our loss to Chivas. We righted the ship and kicked ass, then we lose to Chivas again at the end of summer and go back to utter crapiness and season is over. It's like playing in those games against Chivas really crippled United's confidence. You could really see a huge difference in the team after those losses.

Even with Gros this team still needs a left winger, he does not solve that problem.

18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Perkins is not even a little bit of the problem. Which starting goalkeeper in MLS would you take over Perkins for an entire season? Reis (who got hosed by Gros)? Hartman (which hair color this week?)? Cannon? or Onstad? All good, but none demonstrably better over the entire season. Maybe, and just maybe, only Guzan has the skill, "potential" and ability to separate himself from the other, for MLS standards, very good keepers.

19. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bit misleading. The last really good match we played this year was the home match against the Revs in early September. We had no really good performances after that game.

(Yes, we had a couple of wins after that, but we did not play well in those wins. And yes, that includes the home Toronto match -- we were awful against a terrible team in the first half, and the second half was so explosive only because Toronto was terrible.)

20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything.

Its just every time I watch DC I think Perkins takes too many chances and is out of position way too much. Granted some of it is the back lines fault but not all.

21. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I think the issue might be finding a backup keeper who can play real minutes, not only if Troy gets injured but if Troy needs a rest day.

Granted, as some have pointed out, keepers dont need much rest from game to game and they are usually sharper when they are playing regular matches, not starting and then sitting.

Troy will bust his SS in the offseason, cause he is a hard f'ing worker and get better at the stuff he is bad at. No doubt Simpson will push him.

I'd just like to see a better quality keeper to back up Troy. Maybe draft a young guy and develop him. I know Crowe has size but is not a very finished product, and I'm not sure Nolly is the guy we want for a backup position.

22. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troy is a great keeper and I'm proud to have him on our team. He has bailed this team out too many times to count (last Chicago game of the season, 9 saves was it). And enough talking about bad coaching, some of you guys act like we came in last place?