Troy Perkins named MLS Player of the Month

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by lawrenceterp, Aug 31, 2007.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Sala and Pickens have better fundamentals than Condoul. They exhibit far superior command of their areas. Pickens has been victimized by his back line's dreadful play, but has not made anywhere near the number of errors that Condoul has.

Hesmer is going to be a good one. After bouncing around the league for a while, it looks like he might catch on in CLB. And I refuse to bet against any keeper whose nickname is 'The Hebrew Hammer.' :)

Hartman is fading fast, and I have no interest in betting my house on him. Rimando has experience, but little else, over Condoul. I'll give you both of those.

Well, now we have Condoul in the bottom five keepers in MLS. Still pretty low.

I just thought of this. Condoul reminds me of the Nigerian and Brazilian keepers I saw in the '99 womens world cup. Absolutely shocking fundamentals, but a lot of extra motion often misinterpreted as 'flash'

That was the last time I watched women's soccer.

2. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Yeah, but wasn't that 4-3 in OT Brazil-Nigeria match one of the more fun matches you've ever watched? :D

I was there in person because it was the doubleheader with the US-Germany match at The Big Jack. Good times.

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Fun, in a car crash kind of way. It was a bit like watching the end of the last NE-NYRB match. A lot of disbelief and head-shaking.

4. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Brazil tried to give it away. Then again, most women's matches have three-minute goofball scrambles in the box where the defensive team can't clear it and the attacking team can't put it in the damn net. This one just had more of them.

Then Roberto Carlos-doppelganger Sissi took that free kick and finished it.

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am Winoman, and I approve of this message.

6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I was already thinking this, and you could replace Condoul with Erpen and you have an apt description. That's not to bash Erpen (relax people), but just to say that I think they both appear better than they are through athleticism and skill, when the mental game is lacking.

That said, he has impressed because he's done better than expected. I thought he would bomb out after watching the first game.

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he did the same in some other games I've watched recently. Not to mention he was responsible for the winner in both the DC and RBNY matches - in DC the ball went through his hands and into the the net - yeah it was raining and it was also well struck, but he could have punched and tried to catch - goal DC. He also let in the winner that Angel struck from a very tight angle - again, goal NY.

But this thread is about TROY. Our defense has become very strong recently, thanks in no small part to Troy - this is well deserved recognition for a quality keeper!

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's funny though how whenever a defense starts shutting people down, the keeper gets the award. I think Namoff's return has been every bit as important as Perkins ... except maybe the Toronto game where Perkins was MOTM.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Nevermind, he sucks.

10. gratedjuice

gratedjuice Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perkins is a class player. Hes fun to whatch and if you pay attention you can learn a lot about being a keeper. he'll definately be up there for the next world cup.