Trophee de Champions help thread

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by GIO17, May 21, 2012.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    To the Coupe de France winners of Lyon & the Ligue 1 Champions Montpellier, congratulations on winning your recent titles. As you know the Trophee de Champions will be played this coming July at Red Bull Arena in the NYC/Northern NJ area.

If you need some help with how to get to the home of Thierry Henry and the New York Red Bulls of MLS, please don't hold back with your questions. If you wish to ask in this thread or P.M. me, it's fine either way.

Just want to help out you good folks when you come over to the states for the first trophee in the next French league season.

2. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  3. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Looking forward to it. I have my match ticket and airline tickets but still looking for a decent hotel. The thing is, I probably need one near the airport (I arrive Friday at midnight and leave Monday at 7am!) but I would like one that has convenient transport nearby that goes into Manhattan. Any ideas??

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    What's your price range? (Roughly)

5. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ive seen some rooms as low as $65. I'd love to get it down lower (around $50ish) because I'm a cheap-ass in some ways.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I doubt you'll find lower than $65, although it's important to also consider transit costs. If you get a hotel with a) PATH train access and b) an airport shuttle then you'll save quite a bit of money on transit.

If you stay right by Newark airport you'll have to use NJ Transit to access the Newark/Harrison area and the fares to and from the airport are inflated (one way:$8.50 to Newark Penn, $12.50 to Manhattan). The PATH by contrast is $2 and would give you access to Manhattan and Harrison.

If you have any questions about a specific location, I'll do my best to answer.

7. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's very helpful information. Thank you so much!!

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Like ASU55RR said, Its better if you stay in newark because you will be paying the difference in train transportation plus if you are flying in if the hotel doesn't have a shuttle then that is another $5-8 bucks you'll be paying. I did a priceline name your own price for Newark (fri-saturday) and managed to get the Best Western Robert Treat court for $77 (tried from $60 and up) after taxes it came out to $96 a night. I'm only going to be there friday to saturday as I'm taking advantange and going to the game friday night too rather than go back to philly to just go back a few hours later.

I also have an extra ticket for the game if anyone wants to go.

If anyone here doing anything friday night or saturday before the game let me know. Be nice to meet some BSers.

CoDave repped this.
  9. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is this match going to be on any tv channel in the USA?

10. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia