Trolling

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by WishHoustonHAdATeam, Jul 6, 2005.

1. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    Sorry, i am sure this is not in the right place, and i will be ridiculed for asking a what is probably simple question but what exactly is "trolling"?

2. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, lets see. I am a DC United fan, so I spend a lot of time on that board. However, if I go to, say, the Columbus board and make a comment or 2, either positively or negatively, some may consider that trolling. Most would consider stirring up trouble on another teams board trolling. I think many people take the trolling thing a little overboard, though. Sometimes a person from another teams board can make a good contribution to any discussion and I would not consider that trolling.

Hope that made sense. It's early still.

3. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I think it's only when you go on another team's board and bash them. Any fans that don't want you on their board period, whether you know more about their team than them or not are total ************s!

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    vayager is pretty close. I guess I would define trolling as a post that is designed to generate controversy and indignation rather than contribute to the ghist of a discussion. Coming to a MLS board and saying something like "All US soccer players are crap!" could be considered trolling. The poster would generate a lot of flames but not really accomplish anythig.

Hmmm. I guess any discussion started by Thomas Flannigan should automatically be considered trolling too.

5. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Beat me to it.

It's supposed to be verboten, but it goes on and nobody does anything about it.

6. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    What bugs me is that there are plenty of people who post on team board besides their "adopted" team with good contributions, but because they support another team they get trashed. Can't stand that. I like to visit other boards but I rarely post because of the possibility that I might get bashed and called out for trolling. Gives soccer fans a bad name.

7. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Could not agree more!

8. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Many of us are fans of the League. And as such we are interested in what's going on with all of the clubs. And the team boards can be the best place to find that information. But don't dare ask a question on some of these boards. On the Crew board for example, the mere presence of an outsider is considered to be trolling. On the other hand I have always felt welcome to post on the Chivas USA boards.

The bottom line is that if your posts are inflamatory you get what you deserve. I have no problem with that. That's Trolling. But legitimate questions, or constructive opinion should be treated with respect. I don't think it is too much to ask that we be civil to one another.

9. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Trolling is going to a bar and getting so obliterated, that you don't care if you do a girl that looks like this:[​IMG]

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D

pretty much.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not much for outsiders.. Hell, we don't even like some of our own.. :D

I'm all for going on another club's board, if that's your perogative, just brace yourself, and make sure you have thick enough skin to handle any flaming. If you can manage to do that, then there won't be any problems.

12. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Well I have been call a troll in many instances even though many of my comments does not involve personals attack but there are few subjects that seems to be tabu in this board and if you touch them the label will be on you inmediately... :D