Tritt as coach?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by greenie, Nov 19, 2004.

1. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Some have suggested that "just because he's still around" is a sign that Tritt is still a strong/likely candidate for the position. Remember that the guy was out here for years and years before moving on to Tampa, and when he returned to Colorado as an assistant I'd bet his family decided they'd be here for a number of years regardless of his role in the Rapids. The guy has been around MLS since the beginning and is one of the most experienced American players ever -- only a dozen or so players can claim to have the same kind of playing history as he can.

In other words, he's built a strong connection to Colorado, he gets along with Balboa extremely well and knows his ********. The Rapids would be fools to fire him; I could only see him leaving if he has a better offer elsewhere.

What's interesting with the Tritt situation is that he's got many of the same qualities that Bliss brings to the table. Tritt played a bit longer in MLS than Bliss and is more connected with Colorado, but Bliss has worked with Gansler, an extremely successful coach.

In any event, I'm not sure if either of these two are immediately capable of taking a team to the level of being a regular contender, but if the idea is to give these guys time to build things as a "players' coach" -- that is, not put guys in the doghouse and not be so arrogant as to leave them uninspired -- then either one would be an acceptable choice.

The only downside that I see with Tritt/Bliss (or others, such as Hamlett) at this point is that it would show that KSE is more interested in keeping status quo for the next few seasons and not worrying too much on trying to win a title -- that is, before the stadium opens and has an opening year where tickets are flying no matter how bad the team may be.

2. Grady08

Grady08 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    You can only hope that with the releases of Hanki and Dan that KSE DOES want to establish a continued success and growth of the Rapids leading up the the stadium. While they might choose a 'safe' coach (Tritt, Bliss...anyone else?), it could turn out to be a success as with Nowak. But along with a coach, the players certainly need work. There are positives, as with Joe C. and others, but the mentality of the team needs be adjusted. That comes with a coach that can help instill and maintain that attitude. Can Tritt or Bliss do that? Maybe...We have to have the belief that we can win and we can score goals and we can win a championship. I'm not saying that it was never there, but we always seemed to face adversity and then lose our fight altogether. There is a great deal of promise with the team and they will get there...now is the time to believe...

Cheers

3. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how Tritt, Bliss, or Hamlett would be status quo. I don't know if the changes we're seeing are for better or worse, but if things are the same next year it would seem to be an accident.

Who would be a coach option that would indicate a desire for a championship?

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'm only suggesting that in choosing someone like Tritt or Bliss, they're not taking a significant risk nor are they going full-bore on a proven, "big name" coach (which is a risk in its own right).

I would say that if the Rapids were to hire Bradley, Gansler or Sarachan away from their current teams, that would certainly deliver the message of KSE's desire for on-field improvement. Or perhaps even if they went after Yallop, now that Canada isn't going anywhere near Deutschland.

5. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has a coach under contract ever moved within MLS? I'd be very excited about Yallop. Realistically he's the only coach with proven MLS experience who could be available. He hasn't been with Canada long though so you have to wonder if he'll stick it out.

I have two concerns about Tritt. First he never seemed to be the leader the way a guy like Vermes was. I'll admit that Vermes is the guy who I still think would make a good coach. The other issue is that assistant coaches who step up internally never seem to work out. They have a steeper hill to climb in gaining the players respect, and consequently lack authority.

I'd be happy to see Hamlett or Bliss get a shot though. The assistant coach from Man U is interesting. The Rhinos ex is worth a look. All in all I'm just excited to see the team try something... anything, because they really did bore me into ambivalence this season.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I guess it depends on what your definition of "work out" is.

Octavio Zambrano was Lothar Osiander's assistant in LA when Osiander got canned early in the 97 season. The next year, Zambrano led the Galaxy to the best regular season record in MLS history and the club set league records for goals scored, goal differential, points and wins AND led the league in defense.

Greg Andrulis was Tom Fitzgerald's assistant for several years and replaced him early in the 2001 season after Fitzgerald was canned. The next season, Andrulis won the Open Cup and this year won the Supporters' Shield and set a league record for longest unbeaten streak.

Steve Nicol was Fernando Clavijo's assistant when he was fired in New England in 2002. Nicol lead the Revolution to MLS Cup that year and the past two seasons has taken them to the conference finals, losing once in OT the other in PKs.

So, if you define "work out" as winning MLS Cup then, no, no assistant promoted from within has "worked out." But if you definie it as winning trophies, setting records and playing for Cups, then there are some examples of assistants being promoted from within and having success.

And, I'd also say it's too early to say whether Dominic Kinnear and Colin Clarke have "worked out." Granted, they haven't done great yet, and they may never, but they've only been on their job a year. Give 'em some time.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's what I get for going on a vague impression rather than actually looking at what happened. I was actually thinking of basketball when I brought that up. I should know to remember that MLS is exceptional among sports leagues.

8. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upside is Tritt's been in coaching for a few years, he has been a leader as Rapids captain, he know MLS, and he's one of 'us' I think. I really liked his game as a player. I liked Hamlett's, too. He is available now.

Downside: No head coaching experience, and I am unsure what style of play he'd use, or what sort of team he'd build. I am not very concerned about any of these points.

My only concern is that he spent a lot of time with Tampa & then Hankinson, perhaps not the best places to learn good habits. Maybe he's lived with other's mistakes that he won't repeat, too.

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Bradley and Sarachan were also MLS assistants that have done well when in charge...

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, yeah, pile it on...

I have no reasons why Tritt shouldn't take over now.

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there's no more reason for debate. :D

I like Tritt. I think (just judging from his style as a player) that he would bring a little more intensity to the role of head coach than Hanki did, but it's really hard to know what style of play he would install with the team. I would envision tough, hustling play, short on style, good set pieces, solid defense, counter-attack but run-em-like-hell-at-altitude. That'll work on everyone but RSC.

Unless we can get a coach that has the ability to either partner with European clubs and bring in developing or aging (with remaining quality) players, I think the Rapids should look at Tritt/Bliss/Hamlett, etc... Since Bliss and Tritt are pretty similar (Gansler's tutelage would be the one advantage Bliss has), I'd give the edge to Tritt.

Greenie's analysis was good, especially regarding Gansler/Bradley/Sarachan or even Yallop. KSE could prove their commitment by signing any of them.

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can the Rapids offer any of them? Gansler is dug in in KC, he just went to the final. Bradley is a NJ native, and probably paid well. The only thing that might get him is getting away from what appears to be the most cancerous organization in MLS. Sarachen is in Chicago which appears to be the best run organization in the league. I don't think any of these are realistic in MLS. In the EPL maybe, but not MLS.

I'd be disappointed if the Rapids don't give Yallop a call, but we'll never know if it happens unless he signs. Canada can't be that exciting unless he's committed through the next cycle.

13. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, and those are probably the reasons that the Rapids don't have a chance with any of them with the exception of Yallop. Then again, Yallop may be committed to rebuilding Canada's program and flogging the horse to make a World Cup sometime in the next 10 years. If not him, then who?

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Canada isn't moving on in WCQ, I'd think Yallop might be interested in another MLS gig. Doesn't seem like the national team worked out like he'd hoped.