Trip to Landsdowne Road

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by herecomesoshea, Sep 17, 2003.

1. herecomesoshea

herecomesoshea New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    NJ / Cork
    A little late, but I wanted to drop a thread about being at Landsdowne for the first time.

I ended up getting great seats. 14 rows off the field right on the midfield line. Simply, amazing. O'Shea twisted his knee on the ball, just to my right.

I was a bit disappointed at the atmosphere. The terraces were loud and singing constantly while the stands were fairly quiet. The stands chimed in with a few "boyz in green" chants, but thats about it. Maybe I used to the baseball and football games here in the US where everyone is roaring. The stands just didn't seem into it. If the whole the stadium was singing, by God the vistiors would have no chance. Even in the second half Mattie Holland was raising his arms to get the crowd going.
    4 guys in the row behind me left with 20 minutes gone in the second half....WHAT? Did ye not know the game is played for at least 90 minutes?

All in all a great time. I've never been so pumped at an event after seeing Duffer's goal.

I'd be interested in hearing comments on my thoughts of the atmosphere. Is this typical for european games?

2. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Definitely not, the atmosphere was absolutley terrible which has been commented on alot. there was a better atmosphere at the friendly three days later which says something. No-one has an idea why it was so poor for such a big game to be honest.

3. Pat Mustard

Pat Mustard New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ireland
    The atmosphere was sh1te because ever since Rooney took over they've been playing sombre english music (you'llneverwalkalone) just before kick off which deflates any atmosphere that had been building up.

Thankfully they didn't do so for the Turkish match and the result was a better atmosphere after the Fiels of Athenry was played.

Apart from pitiful Celtic and Liverpool fans and somewhat bizarely Damien Duff, nobody wants to hear that Gerry and the Pacemakers english sh1te. It's not as if this country is short of uplifting Irish music that would get the crowd up for it before kick off. Personally I'd like to hear Rat Trap or perhaps Sunday Bloody Sunday played as loud as possible immediately before kick off although others might prefer a Paddy Reilly hit.

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YNWA is a song written by two Americans so its not necessarily English *#*#*#*#*#e. As a Liverpool fan I think its a great way to start a Liverpool game. Can't see what it's got to do with Eire. On that I agree with Mr Mustard. Could it be that the big games bring out the "prawn sandwich" bunch of front runners.

5. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    I can't believe they play YNWA at Irish matches. I don't care who wrote it or where they're from, I hate that song.

6. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Me too. Its ok when the Liverpool fans sing it because it is their song but it really pisses me off seeing the Celtic fans hi-jacking it, and it annoyed me even more to hear it being played at Landsdowne Road.

Fields of Athenry - fair enough, but not YNWA...

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with simply "The Soldier's Song"?