Trinidadian teen signs for Saints

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by CG, Apr 26, 2004.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Seems like an advantage for Canadian, Australian, and other Commonwealth youths. Anybody know the details of this change?

3. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    I don't pretend to understand the U.K. immigration law, but according to the UK Home Office website the following change (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=3185) was made in Nov. 2003 which may be part of the change the BBC was referring to:

"APPENDIX 3

SPECIFIED NATIONALS: ENTRY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM

Nationals or citizens of the following countries who seek leave to enter the United Kingdom for a period of more than 6 months need an entry clearance for the United Kingdom issued for the purpose for which entry is sought:

Australia,

Canada,

Hong Kong (other than British Nationals (Overseas) under section 2(1) of the Hong Kong Act 1985,

Japan,

Malaysia,

New Zealand,

Singapore,

South Africa,

South Korea,

United States of America".

If I read that correctly, Kenwyne Jones probably has dual Canadian or some other citizenship (Trinidad is not listed, and I'm pretty sure it's no longer a Commonwealth nation - if indeed it ever was - but non-Commonwealth nations such as Japan, Malaysia, South Korea and the USA are listed). Since the USA is on the list does this represent an opportunity for US soccer players willing to study in the UK?

4. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I also do not pretend to understand British law. Kirovski played for MU with a study visa. He was a student at some school in Manchester. He was okay until MU wanted to give him a professional contract. The Home Office turned him down. He did not have enough caps. If you read carefully, the article said:

"This will enable him to work and Saints hope that by the end of the two-years, he will have played in the requisite 75% of internationals to enable him to get a full work permit."

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The countries listed are probably covered by various treaties.