Trinidad & Tobago - Bahrain (CONCACAF/ASIA Playoff)

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by nirvaanfc, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MrZedd

MrZedd New Member

Jul 18, 2003
  3. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah I saw that too. Madness...

4. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    Oh well, If Bariam chooses to make themselves look bad then its there decision. TNT are clearly the prefered team because of their game and attitude.

TNT in my heart

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, CONCACAF had a very solid WC in 2002...Mexico was the last team to qualify, and it won its group. Costa Rica was the only team not to advance, and they lost on GD to semifinalists Turkey. And Honduras was unquestionably the best non-Euro team not in the World Cup. They had a great Copa America in 2001. So at the time the decision was made, it was a defensible decision to predict the CONCACAF #4 would be better than the SA #5 or the Oceania #1.

Defensible.

Obviously it didn't work out that way. But that's hindisght.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

and for myself that is a totally acceptable argument.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I still think CR 2-5 Brazil was the match of the tournament. The score easily could have been 5-8!
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/2002/groupc_crc_v_bra.html
    http://worldcup.espnsoccernet.com/report?match=48848&lang=en
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/matches_wallchart/costa_rica_v_brazil/default.stm

8. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Congrats to T&T! Way to represent the conference.

9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Bad Day for Asia (Near Eastern) then. Bahrain and Turkey (though a part of UEFA) behaved like idiots. Do these countries have the same ban on women attending games as Iran had/has? Not to make it political, but it seems as if a lot of countries where women are second class citizens, or the culture is drenched in machismo tend to showcase some really apalling behavior in the stands (I imagine sometimes (not always), the more revolting and violent behavior of men may be stifled by the presence of wives, sisters, girlfriends and even mothers). That being said, Philly and Oakland and Detroit have registered pretty revolting fan displays over here as well, but not as commonly as we seem to hear elsewhere. Any thoughts on why we might be seeing this?

10. El Tanque Pezzarossi

Oct 19, 2005
    Canada
    Meh what u gonna do T&T will just get beat

11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I could have sworn someone said the "cake" arrangement Concacaf and Asia got for a playoff compared to Australia's matchup was based on some voting shennanigans that stole the '06 cup from South Africa and gave it to Germany. Supposedly South Africa had it in the bag until some confed screwed them, and the playoff brackets were a sort of political pay back for that. Anyone know if that was true?

12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That was the metaphorical equivalent of Opie getting his first experience of Prison Love, needless to say. I can't say I know what would've been fair, but what actually happened sure as hell wasn't. A 1-0 home win is automatically better than any kind of replay. Like they say in the NFL, "you never take points off the board when deciding whether to accept a penalty".

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Numerous posts from Anthony85 and Warlord have been deleted.

Gentlemen, instead of responding to attacks or stupid posts, please don't escalate. Feel free to report any objectionable posts. That's why we get the big bucks. :p

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....boy...talk about opening a can of worms....as I recall (and many others on these boards with better memories/internet savy can certainly elaborate on) it was some addle headed really old fcuk from New Zealand who either forgot to vote/abstained/pissed his pants/had a heart attack, whatever, who screwed South africa out of 2006....

15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Now this is the kind of writing any former English Lit major could love, talk about "showing rather than telling," in writing :D. Thanks for explaining that. I couldn't remember what confed/country it was, but I could've sworn there was a screw job, and that the horrendous playoff Oceania got was a direct pay back for it. Thanks for the heads up.

16. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Germany got the World Cup because Asia went against FIFA and voted for Germany instead of South Africa. Apparently they did it because UEFA played a major role in voting for Korea/Japan to host in 2002, and obviously UEFA would prefer to see Germany host than South Africa. Asia had 4 votes, and cast all of them for Germany. UEFA, Africa, South America, and North America... I dunno how their votes went (I would assume all UEFA to Germany, all Africa to South Africa, and the majority of the Americas to South Africa), but after they had all voted, Germany was up by 1 (South Africa would have clinched it if Asia had voted for them like they were suppose to).

So Germany was up by 1 vote, but Oceania still had theirs to cast. All Oceania had to do was vote for South Africa (which they were going to) and it would have been a tie, and the tiebreaker was that FIFA got to hand pick, and they were going to pick South Africa.

Instead, Oceania "forgot" to vote, and didn't... so Germany won outright, by a single vote. So basically it was both Asia and Oceania's fault.

Also the Moroccans claim that the Americas screwed them out of 2010 because the Moroccan FA paid a ton of money to play matches against American teams with votes, but instead the "Americans just took the money and kept their vote", and all American delegates voted for South Africa.

I read about it over on an Egyptian message board. I don't have the link anymore, but I saved some comments in a notepad, if anyone is interested here they are:

Sorry to go off topic though.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like typical politics to me.

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...thanks....you'll love me book...out early next year...

19. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    USA will do the best in the WC again. Costa Rica will get past the 1st round. Mexico will choke. T&T will regret they participated

20. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed. :)

21. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they won't. At least, not any more, or less, than Bahrain would have.

I've posted the more important, longer-term regrets that may emerge from this occasion, in this thread.

22. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope that they aren't satisfied with just making it to the Finals and that they bring their best game possible. Really I don't expect very much from them, perhaps nobody does, so they may sneak up on some people.

Best of luck to them and here's to hoping that this appearance creates a bit of a financial boom for them.

23. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutley.

24. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Way to go T&T I'll be rooting for you guys at the WC.