Trinidad & Tobago - Bahrain (CONCACAF/ASIA Playoff)

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by nirvaanfc, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I clearly saw one player bump chest first into the ref with a bit of force, I thought I saw another use his arm to push the ref, about that time is when the Asst. Coach for Bahrain ran onto the pitch to pull his players away.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK why the player was sent off, I'm just predicting that if he tries this great attacking ploy in a game, and then argues the call against him this doggedly, well, there's a predictable outcome.

3. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Congrats T&T! You pulled it off! Concacaf if proud of you!

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Congratulations to T&T -- the team and its fans. Great job! I couldn't be happier for you.

5. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    INAPPROPRIATE PERSONAL ATTACK **********

6. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Go look at the fifa rule book and you will see why that goal you called was not given. ;)

7. CharlesS

CharlesS Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Guys, this one's directly out of the laws of the game as has been pointed out multiple times earlier in the thread (including by me, I believe).

For what it's worth, had this not been the keeper involved and therefore Law 12 not applicable, I would still have blown the whistle for dangerous play; that was a very high boot near the keeper's face and from an unexpected angle.

8. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    congrats to all trini posters.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well done to the Soca Warriors!

10. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess I'm wrong here; I've seen this called a goal at the HS, college, and national team level, so I guess each of those times was incorrect. Accodring to a CONCACAF referee I just called, the conflict has historically come from what's specifically in the "Laws of the Game Q and A" everyone is citing, i.e. whether or not the second sentence in there ("It is an offence to prevent a goalkeeper releasing the ball from his
    hands") is tied to, or independent from, the first sentence ("No") which, alone, seems to answer the question. If it is, then we're in conflict. If not, then we're not. For many refs, the guy I called (who you all know, if you know CONCACAF) submitted, they interpret the rule to be that if the player does not prevent the GK from releasing the ball, and the ball is dropped toward the end of kicking it away, that the ball can be played; like others have submitted here, goals at all levels have been allowed in this way.

It's preceisely and exactly why GKs look around and behind them, often, before they clear the ball; because exactly what the Bahraini player did is often called a goal.

The interpretation has also been revamped recently (in these 2005 instructions) to make the releasing and kicking motion one motion. But that's REALLY assumptory, and leads to all kinds of examples that make it unworkable.

For example, what if the GK release the ball and does not kick it? This take on the Laws submits that releasing it and kicking it is one motion that is not to be hindered...does that mean that the conclusion of that motion can take an indefinite amount of time? What idf the GK slowly moves to kick it, instead of relatively speedily? What if a GK decides to release the ball...and kick it ten minutes later? What if the GK releases the ball, attempts to kick it, and misses? Isn't the release of the ball putting the ball in play? That's a take on the Laws that is eminently challenge-able, IMV.

Again, I'm wrong here, given what I've found. There's no doubt in the mind of the refs I've spoken to that this remains interperable, but given the language in front of all of us, I'm wrong here.

Noone's raining on T&T's parade; like I said, I'm all for the players, know several of them personally, and remain (like many T&T players) 100% against the leadership of the administration, which will use this as a stepping stone to more nonfeasance, malfeasance, and abuse of power outside T&T.

Congrats to the fans; I'll see you in Germany.

11. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    The thing is...whether it was illegal or not it definitely did appear illegal. The goalie should have the right to punt the ball out from within his own box.

12. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You obviously don't know many referees who have done FIFA matches. :)

13. jkdd77

jkdd77 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    England
    I'm not a referee, but I believe that the ball is considered "in play" as soon as it is kicked or touches the ground, having been released by the keeper.

I may, however, be wrong.

14. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    All I got to say is....

Get hooked on Phonix!

IT
    IS
    NOT
    A
    GOL!

it has to hit the Ground

15. JJDFootball Fan

JJDFootball Fan New Member

May 8, 2005
    Trinidad
    I am a Trinidadian. The support for the Soca Warriors was amazing! Everyone wore red, painted their faces and had flags on their cars. People even put a red plastic bag on their cars to show suppoet! :D
    Today unbelievably my school decided to set up screens for us to watch the match and you would not believe the chaos that happened when it finished. Girls yelling out the window, cars honking a boy running naked through Port-of-Spain. A steelband and drum set arranged in the middle of the road! It is like Carnival come early.
    We are soooooo happy and this is retribution for 1989.

On a different note, Bahrain fans showed such disrespect and zero class after that match. Trapping our players in their dressing room and stoning them! :eek:

16. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  17. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

That's all you can say? You're a dumbass with zero class and I'll prove it you moron. The only "lowlife retard" acting up here is you. Now go take your tampon off and put on a fresh one. The blood is starting to show. :D

18. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    That's why those fvckers lost just like Uruguay and thier loud mouth tactics. Did you kionw that at the last minute of stopage time, Bahrain supporters where playing a war song of death? I mean these people were meaning to start riots and what not. Cmon, where is the sportsmanship? I'm so glad you guys won and not because my babe is Trini. I love the Underdog and as you can see, I'm an Ecuador Supporter.

Again, see you in Germany

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....bull ********....it's covered in law 18....use common fcuikn' sense...if this was allowed then no goalkeeper anywhere in the world would ever get a punt off again....the fcuk would be surrounded by oponents ready to stick the boot in as soon as the ball left his hands....there will be no review....and no replay.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making a bad call and not knowing the rule are different things. Bahrain was in the game in the first place in part due to a blown call byt he ref in the Uzbekistan-Bahrain playoff. Uzbekis protest upheld = bad luck for the Uzbeks.

21. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I scored a goal that almost like that once that counted. I actually kicked the ball out of a stunned goalkeeper's hands and into the net. I wouldn't recommend the high school referee who worked that game for a FIFA event.

22. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Congratulations Trinidad & Tobago! The absolute majority of Iranians cheered for you.

23. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Even aside from the disallowed goal/not goal...

Bahrain got homered by the refs both away and at home.
    They also got outplayed a fair bit too.
    Bad combination.

After watching the fall-and-roll-fest they put on in Port of Spain I have little sympathy for them.

24. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    More details on the Bahrain fans stoning T&T?

I saw the bottles and trash flying at Latapy and Yorke in the final minutes.

What happened afterwards? (By the way, I hope you saw what the Swiss did in Turkey--they sprinted for the dressing room faster than they'd been doing on the field all night!)

25. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    More details on the Bahrain fans stoning T&T?

I saw the bottles and trash flying at Latapy and Yorke in the final minutes.

What happened afterwards? (By the way, I hope you saw what the Swiss did in Turkey--they sprinted for the dressing room faster than they'd been doing on the field all night!)