Trinidad & Tobago - Bahrain (CONCACAF/ASIA Playoff)

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by nirvaanfc, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    It's not "American football". You're not allowed to block the punt.

2. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congratulations T and T on making the world cup !!!!

First Australia now Trinidad !!!

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

3. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who want written backup for the disallowed Bahrain goal, there's also the 2005 FIFA Q&A:

4. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    congrats T&T, way to make Concacaf proud!!!

5. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to watch this baby on Tivo tonight!!

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aussies won?

7. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Congratulations Trinidad & Tobago in their first ever WC presence.

- Smallest nation ever to be in the WC.
    - Fourth Caribbean NT ever
    - 10th CONCACAF team ever

Good luck in Germany!

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should've made a bet w/ my Trinidadian friend. I'd have an Xbox 360 on Tuesday!

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Here's a tip for Bahrain -- you want the other team to take the corner? Back up 10 freaking yards. Don't stand there five yards away and start screaming at the ref about time-wasting.

If I'm taking that corner, and there's a guy who isn't giving me 10 yards ... hey, I can wait. It's his responsibility to get back.

On the ball stolen from the keeper -- I think the ref was right, if I'm interpreting Law 12 correctly (http://www.fifa.com/en/laws/Laws12_03.htm). That law implies that a goalkeeper should be free to release the ball.

Even better, go to http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/Q&A2005_E.pdf and check out page 28:

16. ​
    A goalkeeper holding the ball bounces it before he kicks it upfi eld. Isit an offence to bounce the ball?

No. In the spirit of the Law he would not be regarded as having released the ball from his possession.
    17. ​
    If a goalkeeper is bouncing the ball, may an opponent play the ball as it touches the ground?

No.

19. ​
    As a goalkeeper releases the ball to kick it into play, an opponent intercepts it before it touches the ground. Is this permitted?

No. It is an offence to prevent a goalkeeper releasing the ball from his hands. The releasing of the ball from his hands and the kicking of the ball is considered to be a single action.

Good call. No controversy here.

10. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Now in your face, Bahrain SUCKS!!!!now ride off into oblivion for another 20 yrs.:D

11. Mark424

Mark424 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Congratulations, T&T! CONCACAF!!!

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Good job, you guys. Did CONCACAF proud today.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. T&T really could've held longer since they weren't getting their 10 yards. Not sure why Bahrain played that so badly.

But no class at all there at the end. Not only on the corner but also after the punt attempt. They hurt themselves alot at the end.

14. FKASCSN

FKASCSN Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations Soca Warriors!!! Welcome to the World Cup party!

15. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Thanks to all the cats on this board that supported the Reds throughout. They deserved to go to Germany. They had to do it the hard way but now they've done it.

Now 4 teams from Concacaf will be there. And finally we now know that Concacaf is better than AFC. They certainly play more attractive football that some of the teams in Asia.

16. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Congrats to TnT.

Love to see them pull an upset in Germany.

It'll be an amazing party either way.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SO the next big day is the draw now right?

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, I wish I'd recorded this.

Congrats Trinidad and Tobago! See you in Germany next summer!

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Poor T&T, stuck in Bahrain. They probably aren't allowed alcoholic beverages until they clear their airspace to start the party.

20. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two results I was looking for today, T&T and Australia, worked out right... good job Soca's... hopefully they play more like they did at the end of qualifying, as opposed to the couple scraps they needed to advance.

Still, a 1-0 result over in Asia is good business.

21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    You don't mention the US having a tough group in '94 despite the fact that Colombia was Pele's favorite to win it all in '94, Romania had one of the best players in the World in '94, and was an excellent team, and Switzerland was a good side as well. S. Korea have never managed to get a result away from home, when they do, I'll believe in them. I want to see what they can do outside their confederation without Hiddink. Hiddink's resume that already looked good before the '02 Cup, now includes a run to the Semi's of the Champions League with an at best middling roster of PSV youngsters, and two victories against AC Milan in the Champions League in three tries since taking over PSV, additionally today he just advanced the Aussies to the Cup final for the first time since the year I was born. Kicking butt without him strikes me as something distinctly different than kicking butt with him.

Just looking at Concacaf you have a Mexican side that has advanced out of group play in every cup it's played since 1986 (everyone save '90 for which they were banned), USA has advanced in two out of four cups, and this despite playing glorified college all stars in '90 and '94, and having their worst international coach in recent memory in '98, and Costa Rica advanced in '90, and lost out on advancing out of their group because they decided to play Brazil toe to toe (not one of the most intelligent strategies, but they played with passion and showed well in attacking, 2 goals on Brazil was something no one accomplished in the World Cup in '02, save Costa Rica). Again, these #'s are reality, you can even look cup to cup, and Concacaf has outpointed Asia in every Cup I believe, as well. In every measurable, Concacaf reps have outperformed Asia, save that run to the semi's which we havent had yet save the 1930 cup which was structured differently.

We'll see what happens this time around, I'm excited to see what your guys can do, and hope they prove me wrong about how they play away from home, great play from S. Korea, Japan and Iran can only make for a more entertaining cup which is a good thing.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Not when the ref had already called them out for timewasting.

I think the announcers were saying that the ref had signaled T&T to just take the corner, with no regard to where Bahrain was. That would be questionable on the ref's part if that were true.

23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'm sure he meant Nicky Rimando and got the last name wrong :eek: :D .

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely fantastic for the Soca Warriors.

25. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to T&T. For Stern John and Dwight Yorke. John played great today, loved the hustle.