Tribute during Chelsea match?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Stan Collins, Jul 7, 2005.

1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I like it, good color scheme, could be nice and simple.

2. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this suggestion for a banner.

United is more than just a team... it's also how we stand with our friends.

-------------DCU--------Washington - London--------CFC----------------

3. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    that's a pretty long banner :D

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's the next question: who here is willing to help coordinate something (get a banner made, collect funds if needed, contact Chelsea supporters if we want a group tailgate, etc.) I can contact the team and let them know what the plans are and seek their help (money, getting a banner inside, etc) but I'm sorry that's all I can commit to (working on a lot of other SE stuff at the moment).

K

5. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    spidergoose and I are going to make the banner he suggested, somehow. Most likely paint right onto a white bedsheet or something. will update with pics as soon as we make it..

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    lol :D

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Perhaps Adu should get drunk, get fined, then donate the money to the 7/7 families the way Gudjohnsen, Lampard and Terry did after 9/11.

Link

If that's not good enough, perhaps we could extend even more kindness by not playing Dema.

Seriously though, I would like to see proceeds from the match go to the families. If the media were to get on board with the "benefit" idea I think we'd get a much bigger crowd as well.

Also, don't forget that the MLS All-Stars are playing Fulham (Also a West London club) that weekend. I'd imagine that there will be some sort of tribute there as well.

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Big-ass black tarp? Can we get a giant roll from the Lowe's?

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    To cover up the empty seats?

It'll be brilliant...instead of admitting that nobody was interested in the match, they can claim that the tarp over the empty seats is a tribute.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    QUALITY!

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a serious note, I want to invite everyone to think about their everyday usage of the word "hate". Today we got a another reminder of what it really is, so perhaps we all need to choose our words more carefully from time to time.

Back to fan mode, I thought about that too, but I'm in luck cause I don't even hate Chelsea, I just hate Jose Mourino, who is not British, or from London. So as long as we can support London and still mock Mourino, I'm all set.

I heard that Mourino is holding a press conference tomorrow about this. Apparently he seems to think he can outbid the terrorists in an attempt to get them to throw away their deeply held committment to Liverpo--- erm, I mean fundamentalist Islam. If that doesn't work he will cry like a baby... again.

noble

12. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I don't know what help I can offer in getting a large banner done. If needs are posted, perhaps others and myself would be able to pitch in to get this thing done.

BTW Natty, I like the one you came up with.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    hehe we've had between 40 and 100 feet of temp banners in front of Barra for every game since September last year :)

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I just got back from the Nationals game. They had a moment of silence at RFK, and they blacked out all the scoreboards, jumbotron, etc.

The place was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. It only lasted for about 15 seconds, but it was very moving.

15. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I like this too, simple yet effective.

16. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    The most moving tribute for me subsequent to the September 11th tragedy was when the Star Spangled Banner was playerd at the last night at the Proms. Very moving.

I think it would be appropriate to do something simple and relatedly symbolic during the playing of national anthems at the match at FedEx. Just singing along to God Save the Queen would be pretty nice if you ask me. Simple as putting words on Jumbo or passing out flyers. Could display a few banners...keeping it simple.

Cheers,
    Tim

17. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Remembering the English band playing the Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace on 9/11 still tears me up.

We should return the favor.

18. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard from 2 others who said they would be willing to help with a banner or 2. To keep the costs low for this one time event, the painted banners on plastic like we did last year for the playoffs might be the way to go. People here who were involved with the banners last year can provide some guidance (size, best materials, where to purchase, etc). If people want to get together to paint that can be organized here (like, I live in X, pm me if you want to help me) or if people want to get together early on Sat (before the tailgate), bring the supplies to lot 8, lots of room to spread out.

My suggestion is to have them ready so they can be left with DCU at the July 15 game, they can take over to FedEx and put up, (they're not giving the supporters clubs any passes to go in early so this is the deal). As the supporters clubs will have their usual complement of banners for our section behind a goal these banners would need to go elsewhere in the stadium (and let DCU and FedEx people sort out).

I'll give DCU the heads up that there will be some extra banners for the Chelsea game. If someone takes charge of coordinating this (finding out how many banners are coming, where people need to drop off for DCU to take over) I can put that person in touch with a DCU staff person to take over to FedEx.

K

19. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    This would be a slick banner to have over some seats in the upper deck:

[​IMG]

I'll probably whip up something with the DC and London flags on either end that says "Capitol Cities United" in the middle.

20. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of these are great ideas, I definitely think a moment of silence on Saturday would be great.

21. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    i made one yesterday about 3x40'

we stand united with london

22. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

U.S. Army Band Played "God Save the Queen" yesterday in front of the British Embassy. From ABCnews:

"Sympathy and Support

CHARLES GIBSON: Also in Washington, at the British Embassy today, sympathy and support. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice visited and wrote in a book of condolence that, quote, "They will not have died in vain."

Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld declared solidarity with, quote, "our friend and ally, Great Britain."

And the U.S. Army Band played in front of the Embassy."

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'll resize mine to fit in 20 feet :p

You know if we hit ref in the head with bottle enough times they'll put a taller fence in front of us... :)

24. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Bryan ... that's Great Britain please! :) And NO-ONE EVER sings more than the first verse (at least you didn't quote the verse that puts down the 'Rebelious Scots').

BTW, how did the girls do last season?

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Duly repped. It looked awesome!