Tri Nations 2006 [R]

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by OldFanatic, Jul 1, 2006.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as the FIFA World Cup winds down next weekend, Tri Nations gets started. Good timing. Anyone here willing to bet against All Blacks winning again?

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

well the Ab's didnt set the world on fire in their first 3 tests this year

granted they separeted the main squad into two and tried several players out

they still havnt found a center to replace Umaga

so is will be interesting..also the Tri Nation is 2 matches longer this year

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I missed that. I haven't bothered looking up the schedule. Care to explain a bit?

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    well for whatever reason, SANZAR have decided to expand the tri antions this year, so each team will play each other 3 times, the tourney will now take 3 months to complete

5. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    This is going to be a very close Tri Nations I think the Wallabies have improve a lot and the Boks and All Blacks seem a little flat. Can't wait go the Wallabies!

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that becomes unsymmetrical. How do they decide which team will get to host more home matches - 2 out of 3? Or is one of the 3 matches at a neutral venue, e.g. in the third team's country? If no neutral venue, is the seeding based on last year's Tri Nations performance, or current IRB ranking? This creates an inherent unfairness in the schedule.

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i believe they are rotating

for example one year the boks host NZ twice, the next year it is reversed

im not 100% sure how they will decide this

but it does seem rather pointless, making the comp way to long

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree that this seems pointless. Also, this rotation in future years is bogus, as it doesn't address inherent schedule unfairness in a specific year.

There are 2 other major leagues which have highly unbalanced schedules: NFL (in the US for American Football) and AFL (in Australia for Australian Football). AFL schedule is calculated by some super-secret software, and very few people actually understand how it works. It sounds like Rugby Union is entering this unbalanced schedule territory.

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    in other news...
    Mulianina is to be the All Black center for the tri nations, Henry tried 3 centers in the preparation tests, none convinced him and he is going for Mils
    Macdonald will play at fullback

10. jott

jott Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what about expanding the competition? I understand that the distances are quite vast, but I'd be more interested in seeing Argentina or a Pacific Island side (similar to a few years ago) than have NZ, AUS, and SA play each other another time.

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's SANZAR being short-sighted and greedy, wanting to fill their coffers with assured TV rights, instead of doing what would be good for the sport. Does IRB have any say to SANZAR about how a competition like this should be structured? If yes, IRB should be pushing for inclusion of Argentina and Pacific Islanders.

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i do feel the Argies should be included in the Tri Nations its no different flying to Sa to flying to Argentina

to be fair to NZ they have helped to set up a pacific tourney which includes
    Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan and the Junior All Blacks(the players not good enough to be all blacks)

it finished 2 or 3 weeks ago and the Junior AB's won

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the AFL, the simplified explanation is that more often than not, each team plays a given opponent three times over a two-year period.

But insofar as this series goes, there's a chance I'll be at Olympic Park in Melbourne on the night of July 22 for the Wallabies match against Fiji (although this isn't a Tri Nations match). Of course, that'll entail me working there for it. :)

14. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Chandu ,According to media reports the AFL have now acquired this year the same software that the US NFL use in their fixturing.
    It said they can now delay the release of the schedule until October each year for the next year. ie October 2006 release of 2007 fixtures.
    Do you consider the US NFL fixturing to be poor or even crap in past seasons based on this information. Was this the right move by the AFL.
    The AFL may be considered a "provincial" league and a "made up game" by the likes of Gus Hiddink ex Socceroos coach (His ignorance was unbelievable) but they are the most professional football code by a country mile in Australia.
    Sport in Australia occupies a very high place in the culture.

15. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. NFL has idiosyncracies like conferences, divisions which aren't applicable for AFL. So, I don't understand how the software could be directly applied there. I don't pay much attention to NFL. But whatever little attention I do, I know their scheduling is very strange. For example one year, every team in NFC central would play every team in AFC north, and next year it could be NFC east and so on. I have no idea how it rotates. Maybe babytiger could answer better, as he follows NFL as well.

Yes, I'm very well aware of that.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're delving off-topic, but ever since the NFL became a 32-team league with eight divisions of four teams each, that made for more reasonable team allocations -- for eons, it always seemed ridiculous to have the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints in the NFC West, for instance.

It has also made for a more balanced schedule over time -- it's a four-year cycle that has any given team from one particular AFC or NFC division playing against teams from an entire division in the opposite conference.

However, going further off-topic, it'll be interesting to see how the AFL applies the NFL's scheduling software to its advantage.

Also, has anyone got a good source for the entire Tri Nations schedule for this year?

17. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Is it on TV over here? I remember Fox Sports World showed it in the past.

The expanded format is stupid.

20. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all LIVE on Setanta USA.

21. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a joke, the Australia vs. South Africa match was!! Anyone who watched it willing to make a comment on such a farcical contest?

22. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Ther Saffas were really awful. All aspects of their game seemed not to work. Perhaps they sent the wrong team over for this game. God help them if they play like that against the AB's.

23. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so they sent their cricket team or Bafana Bafana by mistake? :D

24. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004