Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States

Discussion in 'International News' started by Mani, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. The shia sunni split existed long before the US ever came into existence as a nation. And the problems they have there now may be exacerbated by the US being there, but under Saddam the shia suffered quite a bit.

2. pasdare-enghelab

pasdare-enghelab New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    The shias and the Kurds suffered in Iraq under Saddam during war times. And there were high conflicts between the two religious sectors some time ago but in modern history there wasn’t that much tension until the United States decided to topple the Iraqi government.

3. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Conversations With History: Iran, Israel and U.S.

Great interview with the author of Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States

[youtube]Ly0sUxYgL8M[/youtube]

4. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Secret dealings of Israel, Iran and USA? Well, that explains Ahmadinejad's threat to wipe out the "Zionists" (how he was quoted) and the Iranian support of Hizbollah & Hamas...:rolleyes:

C'mon, who believes in such fairy-tales?

5. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I didn't want to comment again in this thread but yet another comment that shouldn't be made.

This is not to say there is definitely some secret dealings going on, but you're dismissing it because of the tension between the sides?? Don't forget that the tension at times seems to be very useful for all involved (even if a few of the bystanders get the shit end of the stick). A simplified example would be 1984's concept of the 3 superpowers who were at war with one and allied with the other at any one time to ensure what they wanted to achieve was achieved internally!!

6. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I completely agree. I disagreed with some of his points but his analysis of the geopolitical changes brought on by the Gulf War (1991) and the end of the Cold War in the same year is spot-on. He does discuss in detail why Israel, via AIPAC, supported US arms sales to Iran in the midst of the Iran-Iraq War, when US had just finished dealing with the hostage crisis.