Traveling to Italy

Discussion in 'Italy' started by SoccerMan94043, Nov 10, 2003.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I will be traveling to Italy (from the US) some time in the spring or summer. We'd like to catch a match somewhere along the way, so I'd love to get some opinions on the best time to travel (please forgive my ignorance of Italian futbol).

I think I'd like to stay in Rome for a couple days and I know my wife wants to stay in Cinque Terre. Any good matches to catch in these regions?

Where would you buy tickets to make this happen? Any travel related sites, specializing in soccer, you would recommend?

Thanks for any feedback you can give,

- SoccerMan94043

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the wife wants to push the trip out to August/September. I believe the leagues start up in September, correct?

Thanks!

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Generally around the first week of September, correct. Although preliminary Coppa Italia games and Champions League qualifiers occur in August.

4. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best option is to see a game in Rome. There is no Serie A team in Cinque Terre. In Rome you can choose between AS Roma or SS Lazio. Since they both play at the Olimpico, they tend to alternate home games. This means that just about every weekend, one of these teams is playing in Rome. Check the Serie A schedule for next season and pick your weekend. Don't worry if you can't get tickets before you arrive. You can always get tickets at or around the stadium on the day. If the ticket booth tells you the game is "sold out," remind them that you have travelled so far, and that you are a neutral supporter. That the game is "sold out" usually means there are no more seats in the regular home supporters (90% of the stadium) sections. There are usually still seats available in the away supporters or family sections. Don't give up because everything in Italian football is negotiable.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    There are lots of places that are within a two to three hour drive from the Cinque Terre to see matches - Genoa (Genova, Sampdoria), Parma, Empoli, Milan (Inter, AC Milan), Torino (Torino, Juventus) - just to name a few.

6. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the replies :)