traveling to Europe

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by StrikerCW, May 28, 2004.

1. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am travelling to Europe in a few days for a few weeks.. have a question, is football equipment (jerseys, boots, etc) cheaper there? And if so, how much cheaper than in the US of A.

thanks

2. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    yes and no....UKers have to pay VAT...but the non-VAT price is cheaper

depends where u go i guess...

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    where are you going?

4. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going London, Paris (though only for 1 day and night), Switzerland, Florence, Venice, and Rome. Also, just a general question (not 'nessecarily' soccer related) what are some good things I should do while over there?

thanks

5. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    boots and such are so much more expensive in London than here. The vapors are well over $200 there.

6. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah... well I was hoping to get some cheap boots (like Lotto maybe?) in Italy, but I guess I may not get some that cheap..

thanks

7. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    i got black/red vapors for 80 pounds which is $152 at sports and soccer in northampton, england

8. scsurge22

scsurge22 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure you can get a nice Italian cleat brand like Lotto or Diadora for a low price in Italy. I lived in Italy (1 hour outside of Venice) and I was always able to pick up a good pair of cleats for a low price.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

if you're going to zurich be sure to walk around the old town area across from the central train station - there is also a GREAT football jersey shop if you walk out of the station and take tram #14 (IIRC) to the left - its only a few stops and you cant miss it on the right, great little bakery/diner across the street as well - make sure to get a doner sandwich from any one of the numerous turkish places

here's the website of the shop - www.fussball-corner.ch

i dont know how long you will be there (or even if you're going to zurich), but another cool thing to do on a beautiful day is take the train along the lake to rapperswil... you simply won't believe the view - there's an old castle there and its fun to walk around, people watch, have a swim, grab some italian ice cream (make SURE you get ice cream in italy btw)

10. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Switzerland we will be going to Wengen via Zurich but I dunno how long we will actually be in Zurich. Thanks for the advice anyways, anyone else got anything to add interesting tonight as I am departing in the morning.

thanks

11. da_man

da_man Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I recon the Czech Rep. is the best place to buy anything because my friend went there not long ago and he said everything was half the price it is in Australia and i think in Australia thing cost about the same as in USA if not a bit less. If anyone has a chance to go there be sure to bring a lot of money i am going to Europe aswell but not Czech Rep unfortunately. ;)

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

wow you're going to the sticks lol - you will be about an hour or so train ride south of zurich - it will be a majestic view in every direction though

13. ED Fajardo

ED Fajardo New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Fairfax,VA
    The dollar is weak vs. the Euro right now, so it may not matter where you buy soccer equipment, it will be 'spensive all over. For boots, you might be able find deals in Germany. I loaded up on boots in Frankfurt (there's a three floor sports store downtown) before returning to the U.S. At that time (2001), boots were a little cheaper to buy in Germany than here.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

the fussball-corner in zurich has hundreds and hundreds of jerseys, but there are always a couple racks upfront on sale for 40 swiss francs each (about $27-28)

15. akc5

akc5 New Member

Mar 6, 2004
    ohio
    i am also going through amsterdam to connect to a flight to cape town and i going to be in cape town for a couple weeks and i was wondering if stuff is cheaper there or not and if i could get any jerseys or anything in the airport in amsterdam thanks

16. ED Fajardo

ED Fajardo New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Fairfax,VA
    South Africa may be good. Try to get a Kaiser Chiefs jersey. They're very popular.

17. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I have returned.. finding no cheap boots but having a GREAT GREAT time. Though I found a great place to buy jerseys in London is Lillywhites down in the middle of town.

thanks

18. cajun___soccer

cajun___soccer New Member

Jun 10, 2004
    I am also going to Netherlands where could i find some quality but cheap soccer gear? Do you think the italian national team jersey is cheaper in Rome?

19. ED Fajardo

ED Fajardo New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Fairfax,VA
    I just returned from Portugal yesterday. Had a great time, saw some great games. I didn't see many sport stores in the towns I was in, but you definitely need to stay away from the Adidas Super stores that are set up at the fan zones. I saw authentic team jerseys on sale for more than 100 Euros. I was in a really good sports store in a mall in Alveira, just across the canal from where the dutch fans are hanging out. Lots of sports gear, but because the dollar is weak against the Euro, you may be better off buying your sports gear here.