Travel tips?

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by DannyUpper90, May 18, 2007.

1. DannyUpper90

DannyUpper90 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Maryland
    Hi everyone, me and some friends are planning a trip to Europe in late September/Early October (going to Germany for Oktoberfest). They also want to see Spain and Italy. I brought up the idea of checking out a Barcelona game, as going to Nou Camp is something that has on my list of things to do for a while now. Can anyone give me information on how hard tickets are to get, and any other experiences or advice you can give?

Also, and this is a sensative topic. None of my friends are football supporters and I would really like to show them the passion that barca fans have for their club. Being able to see Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o (if he's still there) and other world class players would be a great thing. But one of my friends is black... and being as hostile as barca fans can be towards opposing minority players, I didnt know what the atmosphere would be like for supporters. Would you recommend going to Nou Camp? I only know what I am subject to watching on FSC and reading on the net. Thanks any help you can give me.

2. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I'm not quite sure where you got the idea that Barca fans are hostile to minority players. It's simply not true. Your friend will be just fine. The city sees thousands and thousands of tourists every year and tons of them go to the games if Barca are playing at home.

I definitely recommend going to see a game. You shouldn't have problems getting tickets unless one of the heavyweights are in town. While it's an awesome experience, your image of rabid, rowdy fans going bananas in the stands may be shattered. The crowds are surprisingly mild mannered, almost catatonic depending on who's playing. Either way, you'll have a great time. Enjoy.

3. DannyUpper90

DannyUpper90 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Maryland
    I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm an avid football supporter but I'll be the first to admit that, because of La Liga's lack of media exposure and coverage in the States, the view I got was based on what I've seen. Maybe I should rephrase, it's not necessarily a view of Barca as a club, but Spain as a whole in terms of hostility towards minorities. My stereotype is only based on what I've observed (Eto'o being subject to monkey chants, other minority players being subject to racist taunts) and I guess it's because of my lack of knowledge as to why I wasnt sure. I've heard stories of tourists being beaten and taunted in Argentina and other countries where football is seen as life or death, and wanted to make sure Barcelona was not that kind of atmosphere. Thanks for your insight and I would be very welcome to any other opinions. How much do tickets usually run?

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DannyUpper, there's nothing wrong with being concerned; however, let me assure you that the stories you hear in the media are of the "worst case". Meaning that over here in America the mainstream media is more likely to carry soccer stories showing soccer in a bad light, ie. fan violence, racism, maradona od'ing, etc... that's just the way it is.

Go to any metropolitan city in Europe, especially Barcelona, and you'll notice the people are a lot more relaxed about different ethnic types than you'd imagine. I know I noticed. Hell, go to Paris and it's one huge megaball of wildly varying ethnic types, all speaking French and looking slightly dour. Your black friend doesn't have to worry about being black, if anything he should worry more about just being American. ;)

Above everything, $$$ (or specifically euros) matters the most.

5. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    kind of piggy backing on this question....

how 'concrete' is the schedule of games? I'm asking this because a buddy of mine got royally screwed earlier in the season when he bought tickets for a match (online @ fcbarcelona.com) and the match day was moved. The ticket office people didn't refund his money and he never got to watch a game while in barcelona.

this is the absolute worst case scenario for me, seeing as how 99% of the reason for a trip to Barcelona would be a game.

does anyone have any insight or advice as to how to deal with this? Thanks.

6. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    It sometimes happens, but not very often. IIRC it did happen last season because Barca had to go to Japan in the middle of the season. That obviously won't be happening this coming season.

The only thing I would advise is to keep Saturday and Sunday open, as the kickoff days and times aren't decided very far in advance.

7. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    I'm going in May and am committed to getting tickets for the Valencia match. Seeing as how that'll likely be a big one, what would people suggest is the best way to get tickets? And are there any useful benefits to dropping the 100 Euro to become a member, or is it a silly idea?

8. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sorry couldn't resist the irony. This is a story from this week here in the good 'ole USofA and our own homegrown hostility toward minorities...

Fiesta Bowl star Ian Johnson says he's hired wedding security because of racist threats