Travel/Tickets: USA vs Antigua, Tampa, Raymond James, 6/8

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Real Corona, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just confirmed

The US will host Antigua in Raymond James stadium, returning to the scene of the crime from last year's gold cup.

1 person likes this.
  2. Source?

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Airlines has direct flights to Guatemala, so I'd have much preferred Dallas, or even Miami. Unfortunately I don't schedule these things.

5. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    any idea what kind of ticket prices we're looking at here? i seem to remember that gold cup game having scandalous prices. not sure if i'll go, especially since the best moment in their last tampa appearance was when everyone started throwing shit on the field.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tickets on sale March 1 to the general public. End seats where the American supporters sat last time are $20.

7. VermontFan

VermontFan Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Northeast Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a section for supporters of the opposing team? I am purchasing tickets tomorrow and want to make sure I'm surrounded by US fans. :) Any advice?

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going by the fact that US soccer is selling away tickets for the Scotland match, and that all the sections in the stadium are for sale, I'd guess no.

9. Injury Time

Injury Time Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    got my tix today. any hotel recommendations for decent area with bars in walking distance. Heard both Ybor and Channelside were good...thoughts?

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Tampa for the Gold Cup. Ybor seemed the only place in the city with any people around. It's a nice little district but fairly small.

The stadium is near the airport, just north of downtown. To be honest I didn't notice much of anything interesting in Tampa itself and St. Petersburg seemed to be more exciting.

11. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    check out the Hyde Park/SoHo (South Howard) area of Tampa, plenty of places to go and things to eat/drink.

much better, in my opinion than Ybor and Channelside these days. as far as where to stay, if youre near the stadium and/or near the airport youre pretty close to everything. Tampa isnt a city you will be walking in so rent a car and everything is nearby

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hotel near the airport and a rental car from Miami. Won't be staying the night after the game sadly, driving back to Miami through the night to catch a morning flight. Might check out soho the night before. Ybor was mediocre last time.

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm have to ask, just where were you looking if you didn't notice anything interesting?

Ybor is to be avoided with the exception of a handful of decent to good places to eat. Just IMO

Downtown St. Pete is definitely more hopping than downtown Tampa (although Tampa is improving), but as a whole there is a crap ton of stuff to see and do in the Tampa Bay area. It really isn't that hard to look stuff up. :)

Really hoping to see alot of USA supporters from around the country for this one. The Gold Cup is one thing, World Cup Qualifiers are a different matter entirely. There are only so many home qualifiers in every cycle and we should show up in the same numbers for the first one as the last.

14. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be coming down from NY for this one, first WCQ, can't wait!

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downtown Tampa, we just drove through but it look mostly business and very little pleasure.

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear that. Scream your head off at the game.

17. zenryan

zenryan Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Orlando,Fl
    just bought 2 tix in 122!

18. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4500 so far according to Steve Goff of the Washington Post. Kind of low in my eyes, but to the general fan guess the opponent is just not that attractive. Jacksonville is at 21,000 .

20. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's really low, and it's going to look incredibly empty in that huge stadium. Hope more tickets get sold soon.

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This game should have been held in a small intimate stadium......

22. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree, with all the SSS that exist now, with seating in the range of 20-25k there were much better choices in terms of a venue for this game.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    USSF Fail.

24. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably also doesn't help that they're playing a more high profile opponent in the same area a week earlier. So the casual fan will go to that one instead.