Travel/Tickets: USA versus Netherlands in Amsterdam, Netherlands (3/3/2010)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Tucson_soccer_fan, Oct 21, 2009.

1. giorgiochinaglia

Mar 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big fan before the game and wonderful Dutch chicks at the pub (Who are ya? Who are ya?... :))

2. ESPNscribe

ESPNscribe New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    ESPN in Amsterdam

Wanted to thank all the US Soccer fans who gave some time to chat while in Amsterdam. Will make for a great story, and I'll definitely be following up with many of you. In case i don't, I'll certainly be posting when the story can be found in ESPN The Magazine.

Any questions, feel free to drop me an email at tstruby@yahoo.com

Thanks again! Was fun....

Tim Struby
    ESPN The Magazine

3. throughball15

throughball15 Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great pre-game, great march to the station and entrance into the stadium. Piss poor showing by our fan base, in my opinion, during the game. Some credit goes to the Dutch Federation for splitting our section like they did- made it difficult to get any sort of organized chants/songs going. Even though there was maybe a couple of hundred of us I think I would have preferred to be up in the closed off visitors section where at least we could have stood and chanted as we like. Although, we should have done that anyway because the Dutch fans around us should have known when they got their tickets that they were in an "away" section. I was told by Americans to sit down which really pissed me off. It is not customary for the away fans at any stadium in Europe to sit down during a game, just like the one section of Dutch fans stood the entire game in the Arena. Sorry for venting but this took a little bit off of my experience there.

4. 4-4-2

4-4-2 Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Agree here. Was a bit surprised that the American Outlaws and Sam's Army talked such a big game, led some good songs at the pub and the march then just fell quite once they were told to sit down.

I know that we could have stood if we wanted. The key is to STAND UNITED. They can't kick a whole section out, but they can kick a couple people out (I know. We got kicked out of Wembley for standing and singing).

Would be good to find a couple ring-leaders in these organizations who could show the new soccer fans the ropes and lead the chants and songs. A bit like they do in the Bundesliga matches here. Would nominate myself to represent the Berlin contingent.

Overall, though, great time and fantastic to see so many more supporters making the journey even if they're still a bit wet behind the ears.

5. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little clip of the pregame experience in Amsterdam.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBj7uewV84"]YouTube- American Outlaws and Sam's Army in Amsterdam[/ame]

6. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More can be found here.

7. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like fun. How did the Dutch fans treat you guys?

8. Stuttgart_Bryan

Stuttgart_Bryan New Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Want to thank everyone at the Euro Pub for making my first game a great experience. Just happened upon the Euro Pub and glad I did.

9. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had this same problem two years ago at Wembley when we were playing England. There were over 1,000 US fans, but as soon as the match started 99% of our fans sat down, and whenever I tried to lead a chant or a song, our own fans would yell at me to sit down.

Some fans that go to these games just don't plan on standing and singing the whole game. Its too bad, but its fine.

I'm sure as hell not one of those people.

I wish I could have gone, it looks like you guys had a great time. USA !

10. 4-4-2

4-4-2 Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Yep, this is the match we were kicked out of. The stewards told everyone at the beginning to sit (just like in amsterdam) so I can understand the fans reluctance to stand. I don't think it's that the fans didn't want to stand its that they don't have enough experience in European stadiums to know better. We just need some leaders to show them the ropes. I asked all my English friends who'd been to Wembley for other matches and they agreed. If we would have stood together and united as a fan section nothing would have happened.

@DynaKat Great pictures. Was wondering who that was with the Holden scarf. She must have been pretty bummed to see Stu go down like that. I was pretty jealous of the Houston crew's ability to procure a new away top so fast.

11. Howie Carr

Howie Carr New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    West Hartford, CT
    Hi Everyone... my wife Joy and I just got back from Amsterdam. Thank you to everyone for making the EURO Pub, the march to Central Station and Amsterdam Arena an amazing soccer experience for us.

Hope to see everyone at the US vs. Czech game in Hartford CT. Please contact me if you have any questions about traveling to Hartford. I have no doubt AO Hartford will organize a great party. Details to come!

Here are some pics from the night in Amsterdam :)

[​IMG]<br>
    [​IMG]<Br>

12. Howie Carr

Howie Carr New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    West Hartford, CT
    Couple more pics
    [​IMG]<br>
    [​IMG]

13. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  14. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    and Holden's mom

[​IMG]

15. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  16. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's safe to say that all the Houston fans were bummed to see Stu go down and end up with a broken leg. When my friend Germ told me he got those jerseys before we flew out on Friday morning, I was sooo upset that he hadn't asked if I needed one! I had no idea that they'd have them at Soccer4All so soon.

Someone asked and I think a guy next to me did say that.

I'm the one holding the Dynamo jersey next to Holden's mom in yossarin's picture.

17. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    It was a pleasure meeting a bunch of USA fans at Euro Pub last week. (I was the Filipino with the '96 jersey, forced by Moreeke beer to stand on the pub bench and sing.)

My cheap-seat ticket had me sitting further back in the USA section, and me and the guys around me tried to get some songs going during the game, but maybe it was just too difficult for the USA fans up front to hear because I didn't see them joining in...

As for not being able to stand in a seating section in Europe -- get used to it. That's just the way things are in non-standing sections when you're in another country's home stadium. That being said, sitting on our asses shouldn't keep us from singing songs.

18. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in section 103 near the front and couldn't hear you guys very well. It's necessary for people to take the lead in these situations because you always encounter people from all over that aren't used to working together.

That said, even if the environment was different from other US games I've been to, it was still an incredible experience. Especially when Bocanegra scored.

19. throughball15

throughball15 Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points on here guys. I have been to several World Cup games as well as several club games in various countries so I was really looking forward to standing and singing all game long with fellow Americans- as we did in Germany in '06 or even US games here in the US. So in that regard the game was a huge disappointment for me. I think one big reason was the division of our fan section. There wasn't that many of us to begin with and then you split our section and tell us to sit and it pretty much makes us a non-factor and made the game-well, just a friendly. Hard to swallow when you pay thousands of dollars for the trip and are set to really get into the game and show another country (as well as ESPN) that we have a great, passionate fan base.

20. Howie Carr

Howie Carr New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    West Hartford, CT
    Everyone should be proud because we proved we have a great, passionate fan base.

Lets get our sights set on Philly and Hartford.

Get discounted tickets at www.theamericanoutlaws.com

21. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on when the ESPN MAG article will be published?

22. Howie Carr

Howie Carr New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    West Hartford, CT
    Spoke to Tim Struby of ESPN Magazine today, he handed in his article on Monday. He read me the first couple paragraphs and it's awesome. Great story written by a great guy! Thanks to everyone who made the trip to Amsterdam.

23. Howie Carr

Howie Carr New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    West Hartford, CT
    Hi Everyone,

The ESPN Magazine story on the US Supporters Trip to Amsterdam is coming out on TUESDAY MAY 18th...

24. ussoccer_fan

ussoccer_fan New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet can't wait!!

25. 4-4-2

4-4-2 Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Anyone pick this up and want to scan it? I can't seem to get a copy over here in Germany.