Travel/Tickets: USA versus Netherlands in Amsterdam, Netherlands (3/3/2010)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Tucson_soccer_fan, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this is a ways off, but I just looked up flights for that week including hotel and I found one for $1022 going to Amsterdam. That would include a hotel. I am wonder if anyone has heard anything about where this game would be held in the Netherlands. I am assuming Amsterdam but is Rotterdam also a possibility? I would love to get everything taken care of now. With that price and the amount of time between then and now, I am sure we could get a fairly large contingent of US supporters to make it for this one.

2. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: USA vs Netherlands 3/3/2010

If my memory is holding up, Eindhoven was the likely venue. It's a 90 minute train ride from Amsterdam Centraal Station.
    I wouldn't make any kind of non-refudable reservations until the match is officially announced.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Won't take you long to get to either if you showed up the night before the match.

4. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
  6. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good to know. Thanks. I can see them going into the same group too. Okay, holding off then. So I am thinking this will not be official till sometime after December 4th.

7. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston

good to know.

*subscribe*

8. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Travel/Tickets: USA versus Netherlands Location: TBA (3/3/2010)

I'm surprised more people aren't up on this yet. Amsterdam in March? Sign me up. I'll be in Madrid, but will be taking the train up to Amsterdam/Eindhoven for the match. I think we'll get a good group of Americans to this one.

9. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Midweek though. I have to save all my vacation days for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, so I don't think I can get away for this one.

10. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm awaiting the confirmation. I'm an hour flight away to Amsterdam for only about £50-60.

11. So Taguchi

So Taguchi New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, I'm new to this site, so forgive me if this question has been answered before. I was thinking about trying to make a trip over to Holland for this game. How many tickets would be allotted to US fans for this game, and where/when could we purchase them? Also does US Soccer put together some sort of fan package (hotel rates, flight rates, etc.)? Thanks for your help.

12. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

US Soccer has an official partner for travel packages called Ole Ole. I can tell you though that anyone with even basic computer skills can price out packages that are cheaper than Ole Ole. The best thing to do is to scout hotels on the internet now and to keep canceling them as you go forward in case anything cheaper pops up since they don't charge for canceling most hotel reservations. Flights would probably be good to sort out at the start of 2010 since the airlines will be looking to fill up for the dead periods of February and March.

13. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--

It certainly is cheaper to do a trip like this by booking everything on ones own. Holland is a very tourist friendly place, but some people are willing to pay more for the convenience of using Ole Ole. At the Mexico City Qualifier back in August, enough US fans used Ole to fill five buses to/from the stadium. Whichever way you do it, you'll be in good company.

14. coachbrann

coachbrann New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Rheinlandpfalz
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

American here living near Frankfurt Germany. I would also like to get some tickets for this match

15. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where did this rumor come from? I have yet to hear it. This would be awesome.

For those of you looking into this trip I would suggest flying into Amsterdam and staying in hostels instead of hotels. $45 per night at the max. Plus you can catch a train to Eindhoeven if the game is held there instead of Amsterdam.

16. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The FIFA website lists the match as being in Amsterdam. I will update the thread title.

17. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The dutch website has the game listed but the US website does not.

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of going to this game. I will be taking the Michigan bar exam in February, and this will be my reward. I've also heard rumors of a Northern Ireland game, so hopefully there will be 2 games around that time for me to attend.

19. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    From the Dutch Federation (it's in Dutch but you will get the gist):

https://knvb.voetbalticket-shop.nl/web/show/id=214607

If you think you might be going, I highly suggest you make hotel reservations now. Hotels are expensive in Amsterdam year round...mid week is actually cheaper than the weekends.

Here are some of my favorite hotels in the city:

Avenue Hotel, Golden Tulip-Amsterdam Center on Nieuwezijdskolk 19, Ibis at Centraal Station, or any of the numerous NH hotels scattered around the city center.
    www.booking.com usually has the best hotel prices.

20. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know at least 10 are try to make it from AO Houston. We've already started to make plans but most of us are gonna wait till the beginning of the year to lock these plans down.

All I can say is way over excited for this trip! haha

22. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm studying abroad in Berlin and I'm going to do my best to try and get to the match in Amsterdam. I have a few questions though...

1. Is there an "Away Block" for the US supporters so that we can all be together?

2. Who should I purchase tickets through...AO, Sam's Army, US Soccer, the Dutch Soccer Federation?

3. I'm from Columbus and I want to make a large banner that reads "COLUMBUS" to represent where I'm from. Who should I talk to about bringing in a banner for the match?

4. Will there be an organized pub crawl or "home bar" that we Americans would be using before and/or after the match?

Thanks in advance for your answers. :)

23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a good place to start and a good person to contact

http://www.noshortcorners.com/2009/12/amsterdam-tips-for-appropriatly-eager.html

24. DanishDuke

DanishDuke Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Cumberland RI
    Any ideas when the USSF might release ticketing info?

25. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you guys want to be confused for Dutch supporters, leave the Dynamo gear at home.:D