Travel/Tickets: USA versus Mexico in Mexico City 3/26/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 14, 2012.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    From AO Website:

AO Meetup (open to all)

PRE-GAME Party in Mexico City
    1 pm to 5 pm
    Salon Corona (http://saloncorona.com.mx)
    Avenida Paseo de la Reforma 450, Juárez, Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico

A quick walk on the same street as the AO Hotel, the Marriott Reforma
    People are free to come and go as they please. Buses will leave from the Marriott Reforma soon after!

2. nocturnalscreams

Aug 3, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend and I got the AO ticket and bus package and we will be staying at the Hotel Geneve at the Zona Rosa. This will be our first trip to Mexico City. We're getting in Sunday afternoon and planning on going to the pyramids on Monday, but are kind of unsure what else to do there.

We would love to meet up with other US fans there as we would both feel more comfortable exploring in a bigger group. So please let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up... just about a week away... so fckin stoked!

3. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are staying 100 yards from you at the Eurostar Zona Rosa. Were thinking about pyramids on Monday also. Do you want to try and combine the trip? Theres 3 of us

4. nocturnalscreams

Aug 3, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea for sure! i'll PM u for more details. If there are any other US fans looking to meet up Mexico City please let me know, strength in numbers haha.

5. Foot Fana

Foot Fana New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am planning to do the pyramides on Monday as well. Good that the number is growing up... I'm staying at Hotel Plaza Reforma in Zona Rosa.

6. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like metro+bus is the cheapest/fastest option, but we could all head out as a group at the same time?

7. Foot Fana

Foot Fana New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems like the cheapest option. But someone questioned about how late the metro will run. Needs to think about that. Once in cd Mexico, we will have answers to all the questions I suppose.

8. schematic

schematic New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hi all, as the 26th draws near, I'm still looking for rally point for US supporters before the match. I'll be solo, based way out in Santa Fe, and ditching work, all of which complicate things a bit for this rabid fan. Is the AO pregame going to be the *the* choice? Game ticket is sorted, but I don't have an AO bus ticket, so anyone else want to meet up there to taxi or metro en masse?

pm me at will -- thanks!

9. nocturnalscreams

Aug 3, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am down for meeting up and heading out as a group together for the pyramids on monday. I take it we should leave pretty early in the morning. I guess we'll figure out a time and meeting place when we start getting more information. woooo one week away, so freakin stoked.

10. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was our plan - find others at the AO meetup and take the metro.

11. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will go on Monday, I am staying right next to the Metro...close to you folks.

12. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I'll tell my buddies we'll aim for like 8-9am? It takes what, an hour + to get there?

13. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    I am actually rooting for the bad guys, but have lived here in Mexico City for most of my life, so here are some tips. In terms of bars and restaurants, I highly recommend the night scene in Condesa. There is great night life and you can bar hop until you drop. The night scene is half upscale and half bohemian which results in a very good atmosphere. This is also an area, along with Polanco, where most expats live in. For the best restaurants in the city, I would probably recomend Polanco, even though it tends to be more upscale and therefore, expensive.

One thing that I think is a must for anyone that will be here on Sunday is to take the Turibus (http://www.turibus.com.mx/). I am usually not a fan of taking tour buses when I travel, but I recently took an american friend who came down, and it is a great way to get to know the city. Its a hop on/hop off tour where you can get on at any stop. The price is about $120 a person (about 9 usd) and it takes you to all the important points points in the city. There is a north circuit and a south circuit, I recomend taking the north circuit since it takes you to all the important points (Reforma, Centro, Condesa, etc.). This tour runs every day, however, I recomend taking it on Sunday because there is no traffic and you feel like you have the whole city to yourself. If you dont get off the bus, the whole tour should take about 2 hours on a Sunday (they use double decker buses).

Another thing to consider, this saturday is one of the biggest travel days of the year here in Mexico where everyone leaves because of Holy Week. So you are in for a unique view of the city without the traffic that we are used to seeing during the week.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

aimorris and El Chuma repped this.
  14. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, it will be like 2005 then.

Do you recommend a visit to Cuernavaca?

15. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we should expect things to be a little less crowded on Sundays than usual?

Also, is lucha libre at the Coliseo worth going to? I know Arena Mexico is the best but we'll only be there Sat-Wed so Sunday night is our only option.

Thanks for the info

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Tix just arrived (Thank you USSSC). Looks like supporters section is:

Section: GNSU06 (General Sur)
    Row: 5

Accesso (Gate/Ramp): 5
    Tunnel?: 61-69

http://estadioazteca.esmas.com/infografias/
    Super cool interactive feature: shows section, gates, ramps, parking lot: (for reference, the light rail stop is directly east of the stadium).

17. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Personally, no. If I had 3 days, I would spend it in the following way (by order of importance)

1. Visiting the northern part of the city: Reforma, Chapultepec (strongly recomend visiting the castle, you have to take a 20 minute walk up a hill, so you will experience the effect of the altitude and experience what the players go through), Zocalo, Condesa, Roma and Polanco. There are also many musuems and palaces to see. You could actually take 3 days to focus on this area, but you can hit all the important points in 1. If you like musuems, the musuem of anthropology is a must see. I highly recomend taking the turibus as it will take you to all these spots and you can hop on and off as you see fit.

2. Teotihuacan (the pyramids), this will take a whole day

3. The southern part of the city. San Angel might be the most beautiful part of the city and I also recomend Xochimilco and visiting UNAM. There is also a Turibus route that hits these points.

If you have more than 3 days, there are probably more things to see in the city than going to Cuernavaca.

18. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Sundays are usually not very crowded to begin with. Keep in mind that when I say not very crowded, I mean that it is not crowded for a city of 20 million. There is usually not a lot of traffic on Sunday.

I have never been to lucha libre, so I cant really comment on that.

19. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I had read that most museums/tourist type things were packed on Sundays. That's really what I was speaking to, not so much the car/metro traffic.

20. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Not at all, there are more people there than on the weekends, but its not something should you take into consideration.

21. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    There is NO way that there are more people in the week than on Sunday. Especially Chapultepec. The city may be less crowded but not Chapultepec even if it's easter weekend.

It depends but you're typically right. Especially sunday when it's free for nationals. But most things are closed on mondays so it's mostly necessary to go. Monday is the best day to do non Museums stuff.

22. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we are in the same exact area of the stadium as 2009.

Be sure to bring a poncho for when the beer comes raining down upon our little gringo cabezas.

23. nocturnalscreams

Aug 3, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, 8-9ish am sounds good to me. lets just keep each other posted and we'll coordinate a meeting place and what not.

me and my buddy get in sunday afternoon and are also wanting to check out the lucha libre at the coliseo. Whether its worth it or not, it looks pretty damn cool. We'd be down to meet up with u guys and head over there if you're interested.

24. tayto

tayto New Member

May 27, 2008

Thanks for posting this. Just a note for anyone going this route, you do not need the 1 in the phone number, so it is 011-52-55-5325-9000.

I believe the best success was just to keep pressing the number 1 when asked to select an option.

25. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I talked with a Ticketmaster agent both by phone and in person and was told there is nothing available in the South section. They also said it would not be possible to get a ticket in another section and move over. Not sure ai believe that, but I am becoming a bit worried about getting into the US section. If anyone has any extras please let me know. I'm in Puebla at the moment and heading to DF on the 23rd.