Travel/Tickets: USA versus Mexico in Mexico City 3/26/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 14, 2012.

1. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally understand that. I just didn't know if it was like last cycle where you had to fax/mail in an order form.

The hassle of the USSC has been very frustrating. Joined January 3rd and still haven't received anything in the mail or anything in an e-mail. Talked to a guy a few weeks ago who said I was a member but still nothing. Hopefully, I can get this sorted out soon so I can order the tickets. Man I'm excited for this trip.

Silverbacks34 repped this.
  2. Silverbacks34

Silverbacks34 Member

Leicester City
    Feb 18, 2009
    Stone mountain, Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are there any US fans staying at the Hilton hotel by the airport in Mexico.....Anyone know where the US soccer team staying.

3. panOL

panOL New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I went to the US Soccer site to look at membership and ticket options. When I went to the membership sign up page, I also saw a link to buy the $15 tix. Anyone know what would happen if I just put in my info to get tickets without getting the membership? Sounding cheap I know but just curious if this is a possible work around.

Also staying in Zona Rosa near Insurgentes metro station, would love to meet up with other fans.

4. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought them without putting in any membership info.

I had an Eventbrite account already from buying the membership but I don't think that matters. I say go for it.

5. schematic

schematic New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hi all, as supreme luck would have it, I'll be in Mexico City for work that week. So I'm planning on skating out of the office early on gameday to join up with all of you. I had planned to go with AO bus/ticket package just because I'll be alone and not terribly familiar with the DF. But my office and hotel are in Santa Fe, so obviously it would be easier to get to the Azteca directly rather than going up to the AO hotel, especially with peak traffic. I emailed the guys at AO to see what time they estimate their bus would be leaving the group hotel, but after a few days still no response.

I checked US Soccer and there's no info about tickets. Do you have to be a member?

Anyone else by random chance staying around Santa Fe and want to coordinate transit?

Thanks a bunch

6. panOL

panOL New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    So I think I was able to buy through Eventbrite. What was weird was that I chose to have tickets shipped to me but they never asked for a shipping address. I had to go back into my Eventbrite account and add an address. Hopefully it works.

7. schematic

schematic New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Excellent. I *think* I just ordered one via Eventbrite as well. Shipping address was part of the order form and let's hope it gets in the mail soon.

So anyone wanting to coordinate to/from Santa Fe on gameday, PM me. Otherwise, I guess I'll be trying to find a group to gather up with somewhere beforehand for safety's sake.

8. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think I paid $200 for a 4 year USSSC membership. I joined for the ticket presales which USSF used to announce through the free ussoccerfan email list. However, I enjoy the yearly scarf and yearbook and the postgame access to the field. I haven't been able to attend any of the pregame practices, but I think USSSC members get priority seating.

I see that people found the Eventbrite sales site. I found it early this morning after reading here that ticket sales were imminent, but waited until I received the email announcement to purchase tickets. I thought it might just be a test placeholder, but it was the real deal.

9. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    I knew the $180 for AO bus&ticket was a lot but semi-panicked into buying it before it possibly sold-out. Now I'm considering trying to cancel it and go the US Soccer route. I will say that knowing I have a bus to board after we win is reassuring to avoid potential hostilities.

10. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.eventbrite.com/event/4783259859#

11. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I ordered two last night. I also heard from somebody at US Soccer. The PDF is meaningless; US Soccer will be shipping us the hard tickets as soon as they receive them from FMF.

Part of me wants to be annoyed at the waste of $55 for a membership (the only reason I joined was to make sure I had the best shot at tickets) because it looks like anybody can buy them. But the more American fans in Azteca, the better so whatever. $55 + 30 (for 2) = around $40/ticket is not terrible anyway.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    good to hear at least some clarification. Looked like those PDF tix were 'too easy'. Will await the postal service. thx.

13. FCDallasAddie

FCDallasAddie Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a wait list. :/

14. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing this:

http://www.grayline.com/Mexico_City/View_All

I was interested in the Pyramids/Shrine one. Looking to do it on Monday. Anyone interested? Let me know. Thanks!

15. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For people complaining about the AO ticket/Bus package, I just got this email:

Thanks again for signing up for the Mexico trip with The American Outlaws.
    We have just been informed of the tentative ticket pricing for tickets to the game in Mexico City for USA vs. Mexico. We are securing your tickets as we type this.

In our packages, many times we have to estimate what the ticket pricing will be for these games before tickets are available, based on past pricing and talking to the US Soccer Federation, because many of the other federations take a while to give our fans access to tickets.
    For this game, it seems we may have overestimated the cost, so we are looking at a price reduction for all packages to Mexico. In this case, we would be looking at refunding the difference between our estimate and the actual ticket pricing.
    Thanks again and stay tuned for the official email soon! See you in Mexico!

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    kudos to them.

17. jmnoles

jmnoles New Member

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. jmnoles

jmnoles New Member

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed, I overreacted.

I also got the same email today. Trust restored.

19. lougaetjens

lougaetjens New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Need some help here fellas! I joined the American Outlaws about a month ago (I must say they take their sweet time to reply to emails, it is very frustrating) and yesterday night, I bought my plane ticket from San Antonio to Mexico city for $240.00, great price! I also have a place to stay.

All set! But wait...

Today, I went to buy the ticket/bus package and it is sold out!!!!!!!

I sent USSSC and AO an email asking them if there is any other way to get a ticket so I can join everyone else in the our section at Azteca.

I got on the eventbrite waiting list linked above, but didn't receive any email confirmation and the Eventbrite App doesn't mention anything about me signing up, so I'm not going to trust that.

Any ideas on how to get a ticket in the supporters section?

I dont want to wait another 4 years now that I'm this close!!!!!! Please help and advise!

20. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If getting a ticket through the USSF becomes impossible, buy it from Ticketmaster Mexico. They aren't on sale yet, but here's the link to the Estadio Azteca page:
    http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx/Estadio-Azteca-boletos-Mexico/venue/163913.

I would check often. There will be a Banamex presale and then general sale. If you buy a general admission ticket for the upper level, you should be able to sit in the US Supporters Section. That's what I did in 2009 when the USSSC had a lottery for tickets. Rather than await the results of the lottery (I think everyone got tickets,) I bought them directly online from Ticketmaster Mexico and picked them up at a Ticketmaster sales outlet in the Gandhi bookstore in the Zona Historico. The ticket price was way cheaper than what the USSF charged. This time, the prices seem better aligned. I read that upper level general admission tickets are MX $170, or about $13.40. Good luck.

The sales process for this match has been far from ideal. The email indicated that tickets would be on sale until March 3rd, but within a day, there's a waiting list. In the past, the Eventbrite site would indicate how many tickets were available. This time, they didn't provide that information. Also, no advanced notice. We received the email and tickets were already on sale. For home matches, we get an email a day or so before the on sale date. I had to scramble to confirm with some friends (who by chance will be in DF that week) that they wanted tickets. Miss the email, be away from the internet for part of a day and night, and boom, no tickets.

21. panOL

panOL New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I have a couple of thoughts. AO is also buying tickets through Eventbrite and bought a large block and that's why they went so quickly ? Or USSF realized people were able to buy w/o membership? But I'll echo the praises of AO, good for them for looking into refunds.

22. lougaetjens

lougaetjens New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    First off, thank you for the link, that might be might best option at this point. I have emailed American Outlaws, tweeted them, commented on their FB page (more on this later), emailed USSSC, commented on THEIR FB page. No responses. None.

I know exactly what you mean about the advanced notice. I thought a paid membership to the American Outlaws would get me that advance notice. Perhaps an email alerting me to the fact that I might want to purchase my ticket/bus ride by the end of this week. Nothing. You know where I found that information, after a mad scramble all day long in search of info?! On their free FB page!!!!!! I got nothing in terms of emails from them to alert me, but hey, I did get a T-shirt and an American Flag bandana, yay!

I have since paid to join the US Federation to see if that gets my tickets. At the very least, they sent me an email receipt of my payment with all my membership info and details. I had to HOUND the American Outlaws for a week to get all that information and membership confirmation.

Stressed out to say the least

23. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be nervous about tickets until I actually see them in my mailbox.

24. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My comments refer to USSSC, of which I am a member, not to AO because I am not a member.

At least, the USSSC has tickets available for this game which they didn't have for the Guatemala and Jamaica away matches last year. For Honduras this year they didn't publicize their availability even though the USSF sold them. Thanks to AO for the Honduras away ticket information.

25. Mockba

Mockba Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Jul 1, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF is just terrible in dealing with supporters, especially those looking to travel to away games. I keep hoping they'll understand that they actually have rabid fans now... but so far, no.

Missing out on the bus is not the worst thing that could happen; you can take public transportation to the stadium. Last time, there were nearly one hundred of us who did just that.