Travel/Tickets: USA versus Antigua/Barbuda on some island 10/12/2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by LiverAndPineapple, Nov 11, 2011.

1. MatthewC

MatthewC Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Oye, tropical system headed to AB...even if just some rain and wind...looks like it arrives.. on ...hold it...hold it.... FRIDAY. Bring your rain gear boys.

Coincidence. I was at the USA/AB match in Tampa last summer. Rained the whole time.

Me and three others arrive on that Miami flight Friday around 2:30. Staying at Halcyon.

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arrived here at at Cocobay Resort last night. Locals are fighting back by putting us in a lesser room than we reserved and paid for. We shall overcome.

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Props to the crew for making it down there. Great destination for a game and looks to have a decent AO crew. Please send pics and review of pre/post game.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt you're right next door to me. Interested in sharing a cab home?

5. Mizodez

Mizodez New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    TimBoston,

I'm at the Jolly Beach, I plan on heading to the B-Hive early, not sure what time you were thinking. I plan on being in the lobby with a jersey on at 2pm, will wait about 15 min. If you're interested.

Mark

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TIm at Jolly Beach.

My wife and I are at Cocobay, right next door. We have a cab taking us to St. Johns at 3, then on to the game about 5, then taking us home post-game.

You could share that cab with us. I will check back on here about 230.

Mizodez repped this.
  7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don a texted you but either way ill see you in town.

8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnot get a text.

9. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    As you may realize many of us USMNT supporters who want to travel to away matches but
    can't go loyally read these sections so could one of you be so kind as to wrap up the post-match party and not leave us hanging? Twenty people went to Azteca in August and were never heard from again.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in short the Antiguans are great people. Very friendly and thrilled to host people, especially as this is the off season so a lot of the taxi drivers and restaurants etc struggle through it. The added boost of a few extra tourists helped a lot of them.

Gameday started at a nice open air bar in the only place resembling a town on the island. It was blowing 20mph by evening and the rains started due to tropical storm Raphael and the place was soaked completely.

The cricket ground is a terrible place to hold a soccer game. You're probably 50 yards from the sideline and I could barely tell who was who. This sounds horrible but the only way I knew it was Eddie Johnson who scored was because he is black. I couldn't see numbers or anything. The stadium itself was quite nice and modern and had delicious chicken and beer. It's seperated into two distinct sections with empty ends on each end zone. Most us fans sat on the north side which was the smaller one. Most of the stands behind us of we're Antiguan fans but we had our own little section. No separation and no need for it. Stadium was probably 70% full. After the game I got totally drenched from the storm waiting for a cab but eventually got home.

Overall a Unique experience and Antiguans are wonderful people but the stadium sucks to watch a game in.

Wrote this on my phone which limits my articulation but if you have any questions feel free.

TimBoston and wixson7 repped this.
  11. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    wanna thank everyone for coming down and was a good match. antigua is in the process now of building a football only stadium in the capital. attendance for this game was reported to be 8,000. the antigua vs jamaica game had 10k, probably because antigua has a large jamaican population here. im heading back to ny on tue. but stadium was a nice atmosphere

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A football only stadium would be a huge plus

13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Gdawg, stadium looked empty, but heard it was sold out weeks before. Was it the weather?

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gdawg. Thanks to the Antiguan's for being such a great host. Here's to the growth of A & B football.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked 75% full from my vantage point. Can't say for sure but weather was likely a factor.

16. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back late last night to DC from Antigua. Boy, was that a fun trip. Deuce Face was sent on to KC with our brother from AO Richmond and that will be at the match tonight. But man, what a fun trip (I know I just said that twice). The people were great, all very warm and welcoming. It was awesome meeting so many people at the B-Hive during the pregame and standing with them in the monsoon that was TS Rafael. We even had some kids there from St. Croix, who decided to fly over on a whim the morning of the game and then got stuck there till Monday with no change of clothes because of the storm.

It really is a beautiful country...me and my crew will definitely be going back. This ranks in the Top 5 trips I've ever taken.

TimBoston repped this.
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deuce face was awesome by the way.

18. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was us... We finally made it back to STX alive. Rooting for Panama, thats the easiest game for us to get to from STX for an away match. (actually probably the easiest game to get to period)

19. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great meeting all of you guys down there! Hope to see you at a match during the Hex (let's make it first, though)

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    stadium holds 10,000, attendance was 8,000, but rain was a factor, it rarely rains in antigua like that so it put a big damper on the weekend there. Im sure you guys see the basic infrastructure in antigua, especially conditions of the local fields, so its a huge acomplishment so far to have played usa in antigua.

lol ive never heard a stadium so quiet when johnson scored that 2nd goal in the 90th, i walked out. lol

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that every football field had people playing on it.

22. MatthewC

MatthewC Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    We stayed at the Halcyon. Turns out the AB team stayed there too. We drank at the bar post-game and the team and gaffer eventually joined us. They were very cordial and nice to talk to. Gave us some scoop as to what was going on on the field...who was saying what...etc.... They were a little impressed (awed) by playing some top players like Dempsey. Gave kudos to the players. They didn't feel screwed by the result but knew they gave a great effort and had a chance to pull off an upset.

The coach who is English and looked a lot like Jason Kries looked real bummed out...crestfallen..like his chance at glory had passed him by.

it was nice to meet everyone at the Bee-hive pregame.

the locals were nice folks.

not much to do in the constant rain on Saturday, so we had a driver who pretty much showed us the hole stink'n island. Hit every tourist spot. But, at our driver's suggestion, the first stop was a story (Jolly Harbor) to get two bottles of English Harbor Rum, some ginger ale, ice and cups..off went.

He even got us into The Carlisle where the US boys stayed...they had left already, but the place was clearly 4-5 star. Sweet.

Bummed that the weather sucked but it was part of the experience. Looking forward to re-visting Panama City in the Hex. I highly recommend it.

GDawg, thanks for the tips on your island. I think we left nothing but footprints and some empty bottles.

wixson7 repped this.
  23. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    no problem I live in NY, but my family is from antigua, im good friends with some of the players so we all hung out friday after the game. right now they are preparing for the caribbean cup so they can qualify for the gold cup. yeah the people in antigua love football but they are not fanatics like in central america.

just remember besides the players that play overseas, the players play in the local league maybe get paid $3000 usd for the season. Some even work regular 9-5 jobs.