Trappatoni sucks!

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Etchescary, Jul 17, 2002.

1. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    i dunno... Capello has a good history though...sucess with Roma and Milan

2. JBlazini24

JBlazini24 New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Charlotte, N.C.
    I thought changing Italy's time-tested 3-5-2 to a more conventional (cough, boring) 4-4-2 was a bad idea at the time.

Totti should have played behind Vieri and another forward, I say Del Piero. Totti never seemed comfortable alongside Vieri, and he could have created more playing in the hole.

I'm not an Italy expert, but I think Del Piero really got the shaft, and undeservingly so. I realize he didn't have a great WC '98, but he's wiser now and just as crafty as ever. His skill could have greatly complemented Vieri's sheer power. It sucks that Trap never gave him an opportunity. Hell, he came in as a sub and scored the goal to put them into the second round. What more did he have to show?

I'd like to hear Italian fans' take on this.

3. Jeru

Jeru New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    MD
    agree on most points... I think Totti played along side Vieri against Croatia cause they teamed up so well against Ecuador... Im not a big del piero fan but his skills wouldve complimented either vieri or montella with totti playing behind them... i think Montella was the one who really got the shaft by Trap... Roma's best forward down the stretch and scored twice against England soon before the WC so why didnt he play more?

4. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I thought the first big mistake was playing a 4-4-2 instead of a 4-3-1-2 or a 3-4-1-2

5. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vieri, more than blasting Trap, brought up a good point in his interview: Italy needs to stop worrying so much about other teams and take the game to their opponent. With the skill level on that side, they should not be sitting back trying to protect a one goal lead unless there is 10 minutes left.

Is there a new breed of Italian coaches coming through the ranks who think more offensively (you could argue that Italy had one of the best collections of strikers in the world cup) as opposed to the old guard's ultra defensive tactics?

6. MLS Fan Destroyer

Jul 13, 2002
    Trapattoni is funny :)

7. Jeru

Jeru New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    MD
    like who?

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm posing the same question: are there any of these coaches?

9. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    between the young ones Serse Cosmi :p lol!

10. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Totti Takes Swipe At Italian Press

Francesco Totti has blasted the Italian press, believing certain sections made him a scapegoat for Italy's early exit from the World Cup.

"The criticism has rained in because I am Roman. The same happens to Biaggi in the motorcycling. At the World Cup they massacred me," he said.

"It wasn't a great experience (the World Cup). Too many people interfered with my private life. I'm tired of the criticism."

SoccerAge

11. Kambiz_BAHAL

Kambiz_BAHAL New Member

Montella was not going to be the sub for vieri even if vieri was to be subbed out, i think Inzaghi and Del piero are both better fit for the center forward role...

i agree that totti should be playing behind the forwards, although i think that is possible in the 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield shaped as follows:

-------------Totti---------------------

Zanetti------------------Zambrotta--------

------------Tommasi---------------------

i think Pippo did well in the minimal amount of time he got. i mean, he played in the croatia match from the 79th minute and scored a goal which could have tied the match up in the 92nd, but it was wrongfully called a foul (2nd goal ruled off incorrectly in the match)

Inzaghi, however, did not play well agianst mexico, and montella was brought on instead in the 55th and he did have a positive affect on the match.. but overall, Pippo is a better striker in my eyes, and the combination of Vieri-Pippo-Totti is better than Vieri-Montella-Totti... of course, i think if there was to be an additional striker to the Vieri-Totti partnership, Del Piero is the best pic as he has the most experience and can probably score more goals and play much better in a world cup

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    :eek: :eek: Sweet Jesussss!!!! I can't believe what I'm reading!!!

13. Kambiz_BAHAL

Kambiz_BAHAL New Member

maybe its because Milan is my fav. team..:), but hey you have to admit, Inzaghi has more experience and even in this world cup, in the minimal time he had, he did well, including a goal against croatia (wrongfully called as a foul)...

14. ArmanAgha

ArmanAgha New Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Montella is the best forward in Italy after Vieri.. and although i am a Juventus fan, i think he is better than Del Piero right now... although i'd have to pick Del Piero to play ahead of Inzaghi, inzaghi does not have the physique to cut in on national level

sorry kambiz khan..;)

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    ArmanAgha, your team selection in Italy and Spain is pretty nice ;)

16. Kambiz_BAHAL

Kambiz_BAHAL New Member

im just not a fan of Montella, i respect him and think he is the best striker in as roma.. but Pippo is somethin else, he proved it in champ. league matches recently, and will prove all wrong against this upcoming year... he is a striker who still has some left in him... and right now... is better than Del Piero, who is not on best form..

17. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    :eek: obviously you're missing Alex' last match vs Parma in Tripoli!!!

18. Kambiz_BAHAL

Kambiz_BAHAL New Member

yea well... he is improving in form everyday and i am followin juve trainings, but i promise all Pippo will score more than Del Piero this season... nto Montella because montella is 1st target in his team whereas sheva is for milan, so inzaghi will outscore del piero.. jsut watch