Trap needs to be fired before Olympics!

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FireTrapatoni, Jun 19, 2004.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    No, the Olympic Games in Athens will not be as highly regarded as world cups or Euros, but it will be the last chance in a while for Italy to regain some respect in the international football world. Thus, I want Trap fired before the games in August. Now, who could be his replacement? I don't care if it's not much time for a new manager to take over...we can't afford to have Trap disgrace us any longer.

2. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    i say fire him Right now !! , but that's not possible :(

i think my friend said that Juventus's coach may be the next Italy coach .

3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    TRAP is NOT in charge of the Olympic team where U 23 players + 2 over 23 players get to play.
    (Baggio and Pippo might play in Athens)

Coach Claudio Gentile is incharge of that team, his U21 team just won the
    U21 Euro Championship.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/u21finals.html

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Opinion: This Trap’s learnt nothing

Two years on but nothing’s changed - Giovanni Trapattoni has again jeopardised Italy’s safe passage into the knock-out stages of a major tournament. Having selected the correct team to start the Sweden clash, he made three substitutions in the game that will now probably see the Azzurri fail to qualify for the last eight.
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/euro2004/opitaswe.html

5. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Woops, forgot about that. In any case, I think a switch should still be made before the Olympics as a gesture that Italy will not put up with this crap any longer.

6. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    His possible replacements:

Lippi
    Tardelli
    Mancini (won't happen but he would be the bright young offensive mind that they could use!)

7. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've read that Lippi is odds on favorite. However, he has been endorsed by Trap which may not be a good thing.

8. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    That's just what we need, another coach with affiliation to a big club. Hey Lippi, player so and so on Juve is having a horrible season and has had a string of injuries, but put him on the squad anyway so we can add a couple million $ to his value. If you don't think this happens, then ask yourself, would Cammoranesi be on the squad if he played for Bologna or Udinese or Lecce or anyone but Juve?

Time to go back to what happened for years until the late 90's, promote a federation coach who has no experience coaching a big club. Time to promote Gentile to the big time. He has a championship pedigree as a player (with both nat'l and club sides) and has been extremely succsessful with the U21's. This is the coaching mentality that brought us Bearzot and Vicini who between them finished 1st, 3rd and 4th at 4 WC's and 3rd twice at Euro's. That's an unbelievable record in a 12 year period for any nat'l team.

The big name coach mentality has been a total failure. Sacchi got us to the WC finals but only by finishing 3rd in a group in a tournament that allowed some 3rd place finishers to advance. He failed to advance to the 2nd round of Euro 96 due to extremely horrible roster and in-game player management (sound familiar?). Cesare Maldini was a step back to the fed route but was castigated for "only" bringing home side and eventual WC champs to the brink of elimination in PK in the QF's. France will tell you that Italy was their most dangerous game in that tourney!