Translation needed (PSV and Justin Mapp)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by voros, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: pleeeeease

you love me Mike

2. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

What is your problem man? Someone asked a question, I threw out a theory and you jump all over me for absolutely no reason. Indiana is only one state. Hockey's huge all over the Northeast. Baseball is big everywhere. I'm not saying that these sports don't exist or aren't played by lots of kids. Chill out a little bit, it's really not that serious.

3. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Just what do you have against dill, anyway?

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Very true, although you could've been 'nicer' :cool:. With basketball in particular, all you need is a hoop and ball. The sport's so into the infrastructre in the USA, you can play just about anywhere. And it's a sport where you can just get the ball and play by yourself. I would shoot for ages... Baseball's similar too. It's just a part of the culture. You have your glove, bat, baseballs and play at the park. If ther'es no park, you make one up and use just about anything... a frisbee, back-pack, whatever, as a base. If you just want to whack the heck out of the ball, you can do that if you want. But heck, there are batting cages too.

To be fair, players can come out of anywhere in the USA - especially with the big sports. Scouts hear tips, and the networking is just more intricate. You can hear about great baseball players in New York, just like you could hear about some great players in Kankakee, Illinois. One thing though... to play catch, you need to have friends. :D But then again, with basketball, if you have a wall, you sort of don't need one. To an extent, same with soccer.

Back on topic though, hopefully it works out for the kid. It's impressive that PSV thinks that Beasely will be moving on in the future. Most likely then they will plan to feature Beasley more often in the starting rotation this season. The loss of Van Bommel hurts them though but they will probably shore up that positoin - Philip Cocu really helped to balance them out and free up PSV to use Beasley the way that they did. They had some great signings last year and one of the best tactical approaches I've seen in recent years. If this works out for Mapp the way it has for Beasley and some of the other players, all the better. But it depends on how Hiddink would want to use him and if he would fit into his system.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    All this talk of dill has me craving a gyro just dripping with yogurt sauce.

6. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    Not to be a nuisance and go back to thread and all, but has anyone heard anything along the lines of substantial and credible evidence that this is anywhere near happening? It seems to be a half-baked rumour that evolved into an American sports landscape cutural debate war.

7. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    If Hiddink doesn't go coach the Socceroos first. http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblausnedhiddink&prov=afp&type=lgns

This is all it translated to in the end Smock:

"Truly- an American talent that is supposed to strengthen us in the future? I don't think so. Surely not if he's already 21. I'd look instead to a Dutch player or another European. Why get a replacement for Beasley, when Beasley has yet to break through [in this league] and there's no reason to suspect that he's leaving [PSV] anytime soon. Not interested in Mapp."

It was just some chatter, no official announcement of interest or anything along those lines.

8. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    That is what I assumed. I like Mapp, but I haven't seen him garnering interest to get many looks outside the league. I believe you have to at least make the All Star team to get to that point.

9. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    They are total opposites. Mapp plays with offensive abandon, come what may. Convey is Bradenton cautious.

10. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003

11. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    And some grass. ;)

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mike Segroves again.

13. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not that interesting guys - take it to PM land.