Translation needed (PSV and Justin Mapp)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by voros, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Quaranta can play forward so that might have been the difference. Plus DC can live without Quaranta's services for a bit.

Justin has plenty of time and we're in no real need at left mid. I'm just glad he's having some success now, so it may just be best to let him enjoy it for a while and then try to push him to the next level.

2. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    But we're in dire need at right mid, and Justin seems to play just fine there.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    BTW- Here are the season (cumulative) ratings from the DC United fans- from the hardcores. They have been very critical of Adu, and as a whole, have no problem with him being a 45 minute player (or less, in some cases).

You can see that he measures favorably against anyone on the team this year (on field performance).

Season Averages (Games Played)

Wilson 6.1 (6)
    Perkins 5.9 (1)
    Gomez 5.7 (18)
    Adu 5.7 (13)
    Rimando 5.6 (17)
    Boswell 5.6 (15)
    Olsen 5.5 (15)
    Namoff 5.5 (5)
    Prideaux 5.5 (14)
    Gros 5.5 (17)
    Moreno 5.4 (17)
    Simms 5.4 (15)
    Quaranta 5.3 (11)
    Guppy 5.2 (5)
    Kovalenko 5.1 (8)
    Carroll 5.1 (17)
    Petke 4.9 (10)
    Kuffuor 4.9 (2)
    Stokes 4.8 (8)
    Eskandarian 4.8 (14)
    Walker 4.7 (5)
    Van Sicklen 3.7 (2)

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure. I think Gaven might be the better choice at right mid and Mapp the better choice at left mid, despite the fact that both can play the other wing.

Gaven's play in MLS certainly has been excellent in its own right, though this year it has been interrupted by injury and the U20s. If you score the game winner and your team's fans consider it a subpar performance for you, you likely have been playing quite well.

Mapp's right footed crosses have gotten much better (and he's infinitely more likely to trust his right now than before), but they're still far inferior to his left footers. His left footed ones get that downward boring action that wind up being so much more dangerous than floated ones.

Mapp's a provider and Gaven's a goal scorer, so maybe they serve two different purposes.

5. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Has anyone translated exactly what is being said about Mapp?

6. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Breathtaking. Those Dutch certainly know what topics are hot.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

if you paste the excerpt you want translated here, i can do it

8. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    That's what I'm thinking. A fast, aggressive, skillful winger is not exactly an arrow that Arena has in his quiver these days. Mapp could be an interesting role player -- a real speed and skill threat right down the flank, someone who could give the other side fits on the right (or left) side of the pitch, opening up play elsewhere.

I hear what you're saying about Gaven. But he is a different kind of player.

As an authentic winger, Mapp is part of a disappearing breed and could possibly be more effective for the Nats carrying out a specific role function. His speed alone, the way he plays the position, could really open up the right side of the pitch.

But I don't get to see him much anymore, so I don't have first-hand knowledge of where he is at these days with his game now. I just remember being tremendously impressed two years ago in MLS, and then at the WYC. When he is on, he really plays the position the way it should be played. At times he looked like he could be Figo.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    pleeeeease

Overigens, een Amerikaans talent, als versterking voor de toekomst? Dat zie ik niet zitten. Zeker niet wanneer hij al 21 is. Kijk maar uit naar een Nederlander, of andere Europeaan. Opvolger voor Beasley halen, terwijl Beasley nog moet doorbreken, en er totaal geen reden is om aan te nemen dat hij vertrekt. Laat maar hangen dus, die Mapp.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You need to find a broadband connection somewhere. A majority of the Fire games is stored online at MLSNet.com.

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I think he is overseas.

12. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Re: pleeeeease

"Truly- an American talent that is supposed to strengthen us in the future? I don't think so. Surely not if he's already 21. I'd look instead to a Dutch player or another European. Why get a replacement for Beasley, when Beasley has yet to break through [in this league] and there's no reason to suspect that he's leaving [PSV] anytime soon. Not interested in Mapp."

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, it was a good thread while it lasted.

14. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you can see the matches overseas now, maybe not live but the archives you can

15. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO

it's a translation from a PSV forum fan.

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leading your club in goals in the Champions League I guess means nothing to them supporters. Tough fans. :rolleyes:

17. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Put simply, that's the Dutch for you.

19. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Yeah CythiaPSU has obviously never met the Dutch that speaks 7 languages, and when you have 'wow, that's something'...they just say, "pfffft......." :p

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Just to note, 5.5 would be considered average-run-of-the-mill MLS player. Getting a 5.7 on that scale doesn't amount to being much more than mediocre, which certainly is the case.

Mapp certainly has had a better season and at this point is a better prospect.

Sachin

22. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

That's not what i'm saying. Of course there is but you can't play catch by yourself can you? Basketball is possible but most people who aren't tall or talented at it might turn to soccer as an option. Stop twisting my words, that's obviously not what I meant. :mad:

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Or hunting or fishing or playing "The most dangerous game" with stupid city folk.

Sachin

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    check again, DMB did not end up leading psv in CL goals

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Gomez made the All-Star team, yet your own have rated him lower than Freddy cumulative. But let's leave the mediocre thing aside...

You statement (above) just doesn't work..at all. You can't compare a barely 16 year old and 20 year old in a vacuum. I guess your assumption is that Fred will make 0 progress from ages 16-20! :p That's the only way your statement makes sense, and believing Fred will make 0 progress from 16 to 20 would make him.....well, Quaranta! :D

You guys are so myopic in Nowakian (that Nowak-speak for the uneducated) that you fail to understand what Freddy is doing great so far- whether or not he's meeting your/mine expectations. You have to grade 16 year olds on a scale (relative to some future growth), and recognize that Quaranta is a rare exception (of a guy who lost 3-4 years w/o little to show)..