Translation needed (PSV and Justin Mapp)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by voros, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From here:

http://psv.netwerk.to/forums/HTML/forum9/2081.php

Babelfish gives me:
    "According to my sources is psv geinteresseert in gravy tin Mapp a wing attacker of Chicago Fire. psv 21 one year old brio would consider as a strengthening for the future (after a departure of beasley, farfan) but also by the departure of park to Manchster is this two-twee-benige wing attacker an option. Hiddink will examine by all odds a game of this large brio, after rather have seen of some video-beelden."

I'm guessing this is just typical message board bovine excrement, but I figure someone who knows Dutch would be able to summarize the thread.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Mapp had Valencia interested in him a while ago, which helped him bump his MLS contract to $140K, as I recall.

He has been playing very well though lately and on both wings too.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    so Mapp would get to play behind Beazer again? fantastic.

maybe they watched his match on saturday, when he loked like God's gift to soccer

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is some interest in Mapp from overseas. Although he needs to figure out his workrate issues, his ball skills are really neat for an outside player- especially ability to cross w/both feet.

He's impressive in 1v1 situations..

If he could get better w/shooting + better defensive effort, he'd be there
    (although ? shooting didn't hurt Beasley in getting a deal, and he's really improved in that area, apparently)

5. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I read the article, and your Babelfish is about spot-on.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As SFS mentioned, those games are starting to come a bit more frequently now.

7. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even the part about the gravy tin?

Looks like Justin already has a nickname.

:D

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's having a weird year. in some moments, he looks he could challenge Donovan for best player in the league, in others he looks like Frankie Hejduk on a bad day without the work rate or tenacity.

9. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I think Mapp would be absolutley outstanding in a 4-3-3 as a winger with less defensive accountability. He plays a lot better when he has the freedom to focus offensively, and in all honestly is a liability going back. In a system like PSV's the defensive midfielders in the middle would take a lot of the pressure off of him.

I don't think he's ready for Europe yet, but if he goes this system might be one of the few where he'd get to display his strengths.

10. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    So is this saying beasley, farfan, and park are all out of there? If so, did anyone else know beasley was leaving PSV???

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I really want to know is what they are saying on the PSV boards about this... it is already 3 pages long!!!

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    from a USA fans stadnpoint, I wanted him to compete for the spot behind Beasley. Lewis is aging. Davis hasn't shown that he's up to it yet, Noonan isn't fast enough.

For now, I'm happy with Lewis, but an injury to him and we have serious depth issues. I'd love for Mapp to compete with Convey for a roster spot. He's not as athletic as Convey and he's doesn't have Convey's flair and creativity, but He's more skillful and a better technical player. He doesn't problems finishing either.

But if he goes to Europe, I can't see him being a 1st team player with PSV, and that means he'd have no chance at the world cup.

13. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    By defenition Beasley wasn't a first team player last year either, and I don't think many on these boards had qualms with his amount of playing time.

Mapp would fit that Beasley role this year, the winger off of the bench in CL games who gets a fair amount of starts in the Dutch League and can play at either wing.

It wouldn't be a long wait for 1st team playing time if he impressed either. As the article mentioned, the signing would be with a view of becoming a bonafide 1st teamer when either Beasley or Farfan move along (which they undoubtedly will in time).

This situation is virtually the same as Beasley's, as he had to wait for Park to move along. PSV has to consistently be reloading for the future with their status as a selling club and the expectations of being a European force.

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I PSV's plan was probably more for Beasley and Park to start w/ the younger Farfan in the "nurture along" role.

I love Mapp's skills, and agree he could do well in PSV's system. His style is like a Robben/Giggs, running at folks w/ the ball, breaking down defenses (although obviously not nearly that polished). Beasley is more of a counter-attacking force, opening things up with his runs more than his ball skills.

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Are the Fire now becoming the American version of PSV? :)

16. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    I think you mean PSV is becoming the Dutch version of the Fire ;)

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYT reports that Mapp makes $55,000 and his real first name is Justine...

;)

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's saying essentially that PSV's best players tend to move on so Beasley and Farfan moves are eventually inevitable, and that also he could potentially provide cover for the absence of Park. At least that's what my interpretation of the babelfish is.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether this is messageboard gobbledygook or a real rumor.

I'm of two minds, I think a place like PSV might do wonders for turning Justin's talent into on the field production, but on the other hand there's precious few players currently in MLS as fun to watch as he is. In a league full of players deathly afraid of taking on defenders, Mapp does it habitually. There is also the concern of Convey-esque purgatory should he not impress right away.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting indeed. It would be sad to lose Mapp though, because he is just a great player to watch as of late. The bad thing about Mapp though, is that he could do this EVERY week, if he just got that killer instinct. I like Beasley and have defended him often, but I've said it before ............. Mapp has more skills than him. He's not quite as fast as Beasley, but he's faster than most and he's a better crosser of the ball with both his left and right feet, is a better dribbler, and a better passer. He also has better size and strength. If he would simply recognize that 99% of guys simply can't cope with him and not fall into games where he becomes passive, this guy would be a beast.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The Dutch do a great job in assessing a player technically, and (I think) developing a player to get better (work on weaknesses). They nailed Dempsey biggest weakness last fall (lack of change of pace), but they do seem to like their American pipeline now. And why not- our players are good fits for them- cheap to acquire, the best of...being just the development level to bring in(to a Holland), and well....usually Dutch and Americans get along swimmingly...

I'd love for most of our young players to do a 2 year internship there, before moving onto to bigger, better (Johnson, included)

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You are absolutely right, but the Beasley nuts are going to go ape-shite over your comments... :cool:

22. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if this is true all i am gonna say is that im excited.

the sooner psv buys up mls american youth talent and develops them the better as far as im concerned.

forza inter

23. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then Gravy Tin is a step up!

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bolded portion being one of the things that they must LOVE about Mapp. Despite not having put up great numbers in the league yet, and being a bit of an underachiever, I have noted this year that he is one of the best players in the league at changing speeds, stutter stepping, stop-starting. I've seen Chicago play about 4 games recently, and he was killing people from both the left and right side and getting to the end-line and hammering good crosses from both sides using different change of pace tactics. The guy has a bag of skill. I hope that his newfound determination is here to stay.

25. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Here's your tranny- might shed a little more light:

>>>>>
    According to my sources, PSV is interested in Justin Mapp, a wing-attacker from the Chicago Fire. PSV would see the 21 year old talent as building for the future (after the departure of Beasley, Farfan), but the two-legged wing-attacker is also an option given the departure of Park to Manchester. Hiddink will in all likelihood go see a match of this great talent, after earlier having seen some video montages of him.
    >>>>>

let me scan the rest of the forum to see if there's anything else of substance.....