Transfers - The Great Media Clickbait Rumour BS Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by jumhed, May 20, 2023.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Remember when there was talk of AC Milan being interested? Maybe he's got the same agent as Danny Rose, who thought Inter were interested in him back in the day.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Spurs have exercised their option to extend Rodon's contract for another year. Destination unknown for Joe, as it is unclear whether Leeds will be able to afford him.

And assistant coach Chris Davies is taking over at Birmingham, so Ange needs to find a new assistant.

3. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    Shouldn't be difficult.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hell, I'll do it.

5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ndombele's contract ended by mutual consent.

Supreme waste of talent.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #906 pookspur, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
    You say 'waste'. He says "I'm a millionaire!"

edit: for clarity, I'm not disagreeing.

SF19 and Golara repped this.
  7. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Something very Spursy about Tottenham's record signing being so trash he's loaned out, wins 2 major titles while barely playing (while Spurs win nothing in that time), and then has the last year of his contract paid up to getting rid of him.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Look at who negotiated the transfer fee and agreed to the contract. There's your answer.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It appears we paid him 75% of his remaining salary of 10 million pounds.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    So far the following players have left since Big Ange's arrival:

Harry Kane (Bayern)
    Eric Dier (Bayern)
    Davinson Sanchez (Galatasaray)
    Hugo Lloris (LA Galaxy)
    Ryan Sessegnon (released)
    Tanguy Ndombélé (released)
    Japhet Tanganga (released, Millwall)
    Ivan Perisic (Hajduk Split)

Still a lot more driftwood to clear out.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So Levy just saved us 2.5m. Savvy! :D:cool:

jumhed repped this.
  12. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    La Liga champions Real Madrid have reportedly contacted Tottenham to know about the conditions to sign Cristian Romero, who will cost around €60 million.
    According to a report by Ole, as relayed by Sport Witness, Cristian Romero is the subject of interest from Real Madrid. The Merengues are not contemplating launching the offensive for the Argentine international anytime soon. However, they have contacted Tottenham to ask about the conditions to sign the €60 million-rated defender.
    I've read this from 2 sources and 60 million wouldn't sway me if true. He's pivotal and I'd want more than that. We need to keep our best players for the upcoming season and he'd be difficult to replace.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I wouldn't want to sell him, either. But playing for Real is probably his dream, so he will end up leaving like Modric and Bale before him. 60 million seems low, though.

14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    €60‽ apparently it’s been a while since they dealt with Levy.

15. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    'We'd like to pay you.....in magic beans.'

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    He'll go to Real...and win a trophy!

Shocking.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

This lad was a star for Leeds as they almost got promotion. Quite a price tag for a youngster.

18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What do you guys think? I guess I saw him play with Leeds a couple of times, but he didn't make an impression on me. Happy to see we are getting an English player.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is the kind of signing I would typically get fairly excited about ... versatile central mid ... superb workrate ... can pick a pass ... good footwork and can run at players ... can also play out wide, or even at rightback ... he ticks a lot of boxes. That said, we're at a place where I'd probably get more excited about signing players with specific skills that will address specific needs within the squad. And, hey, maybe Ange does want him to fill a specific role, so fair enough. But there's a part of me that would like to think we're bringing in this guy to do this thing ... at least when we're shelling out 40m quid.

And let's be honest, 40m is a lot for an unproven (at this level) 18-year-old - even in this ridiculous day and age.

But, hey ho, it's not my money. Promising player. Good signing.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's a lot of money, but if you want somebody to compete with Porro, you should expect to pay about as much as you did for him, no? Plus English players are at a premium. Speaking of which, will he eventually be a "club trained" player? I believe that means 3 years with the club before turning 21? If so, that is a very strategic signing. Assuming he's good, of course.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's the crux of it. He's not done it at the Prem level, let alone the sharp end of the Prem, which is where we'll (hopefully) need him. 40m quid is a fooking shit-ton of money for potential.

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Archie Gray. Sounds like he could be part of a classic midfield with Arthur Grimsdell and Fanny Walden.

jumhed repped this.
  23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It’s a lot, but offloading Rodon in the other direction for the reported £10-15 helps a bit. I suppose you could argue that money could have been spent elsewhere, but the glut of players needing to find new clubs an “easy” transfer isn’t awful. Brentford having agreed to pay £40m and only stumbled on the payment schedule is also a positive.

Of course it’s Spurs and there seems to be an inversely proportional relationship between how much we pay for a player and how shit they turn out to be. So I’m not holding my breathe.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    His ability to play right back will also mean we can sell Emerson Royal to offset even more of the cost (if one wishes to look at it like that).

25. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    We don't get anything about Leeds here in Geneva so I'd never heard of him and cannot comment but I trust Ange's judgement so let's go ahead.

We've cooled our interest in both Toney and Callagher apparently. I saw Toney blaze right over the bar from a decent position for England and I never like to go ahead with a striker who misses a fairly simple opportunity to score. He scored 4 in his last 17 for Brentford so let's not go ahead. I said the same about Janssen after seeing him miss a sitter and feel the same way about Toney.