Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am a bit of a CB / DCM weirdo (as were the positions I played most and where we are most effed up) - so more pumped about getting some decent options there than I should be :)

Getting a second striker is more exciting (if we make it that far). Zirkzee looks interesting and may actually be achievable given he has a relatively low release clause. Think he has an interesting all-round game for the money.

Will just be pumped to see a striker on the bench though after years of sick-note / dud Martial.

Binning him nearly gave the same relief as binning Phil Jones :)

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Neves would be very exciting but there’s no shot we’re getting him. He’ll go for 80 mil and we’re not in a position to spend that on one player given our financial situation.

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rumours that Evans has signed a one year extension.

Will be 37 in January ...

On the one hand I get it given the situation, on the other totally unsuitable as a sub owing to injuries and in a high-line owing to age/pace.

So mixed feelings on this for sure as we really shouldn't be where we are with our CB options.

SF19 repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If he plays more than 15 games next season, something has gone terribly wrong.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Played in 30 games for us last season (1606 minutes) :eek:

SF19 repped this.
  6. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I’m great with it, just like I was last year.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I like him in the Lee Grant role. The professional's professional that you have the young kids room with. Kwabaly would do well to make it to 37 as footballer at Prem level. He can do with some time with Johnny on living the right life. If he sees the field to the level he did this year. Fire the whole training staff.

SF19 repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Buying young English players?

If there was ever a time to do it, its now. There are a bunch of u18 talents out there European clubs are looking to poach [a la Sancho, Musiala, etc].

The u21/23 players are probably already too ecspensive. Im not saying Morgan Gibbs White is what we need, but he's an example of this bracket of player. Olise,

JamesA repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’m also good with Evans getting re-upped as long as it’s not in place of signing an actual CB.

Because of reports, let’s assume our CB signing is Branthwaite. Does anyone feel comfortable with Branthwaite, Licha, Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, and Kambwala? I sure as hell don’t.

We need to find a way to move on one of Harry or Lindelof and sign another guy capable of playing a high line. Or maybe the thinking is sign another LB and try and use Shaw as Lichas backup which at this stage of his career is maybe not a bad idea.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That last paragraph is not crazy. I don't want Brathwaite.

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I meant to respond to this. I think the Isles and the stature of Man U plus Bosman made our job easier. I believe there are talented players out but we can't wait for a guy to adjust to the league straight from the Americas or Africa. Our position in the table make that very difficult. I mean I wish we found Endrick but we don't have the structure to give him minor minutes until he is comfy. The pool is deep with players all over the globe but identifying them is harder as smaller clubs have it down to a science and can let the player develop.

I think our plan is usually to wait to see how a guy goes in Europe then sign him. Where we need to be better is to stop being the 3rd or 4th stop. Look at Hojlund. After Denmark he went to Austria then Atalanta identified him. We have to snap him up before the Atalanta's of this world. African players will go from Africa to Norway to Belgium or something like that. By Belgium, we have to be ready to pounce.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    who are they?

like i said one or two is fine but if that was the majority strategy it's a no for me

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswich-town-silva-mexes-confirms-manchester-united-move/

Wilcox's focus seems to be on the EFL.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    On principle anyone named Baylee is not United standard

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Archie Gray (Leeds), Jobe Bellingham, Mikey Moore and a few of our own players like Lacey, Amass etc.

There are some names that Im forgetting tbh. Also maybe the age range should be a little older as well, but this is a good time for English football and youth development.

SF19 repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i am still against it. United is not the right environment to nurture talent anyway and the good youth that develop go abroad now.

still a no for me

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    What if Ineos make the right changes re player development? From what I can see so far, youth would benefit from Wilcox game model, as we saw in FA final. Whoever is manager will be forced to cater to youth it seems.

I like the idea of poaching/developing English based players in the academy. Not many teenagers from abroad would settle nicely in England. I imagine many would get homesick and the costs on families to accomodate the arrangement must be too great for many.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah, United is a cauldron. Be good or be gone. We could develop young talent if we were a top team and slowly mixing in the kids like Sir Alex used to do. Right now, we are poor and asking Garnacho and Mainoo to play grown man minutes.

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    #5394 benni..., Jun 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    The other option is the over pay for established talent.

We have no choice but to try and improve the environment around development. Its not like our scouting is better.

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wilcox / Ineos trying to claim credit for the FA Cup final is highly dubious to me.

The Ineos "game model" such as it is, is (hugely unsurprisingly) said to focus on possession. So the FA Cup win was very far from this blue print.

The "Wilcox said to use Bruno as a false #9" smells of BS too - given Erik had done that before.

Fundamentally, Erik was clearly p1ssed at the situation with all the talk of the FA Cup being his last game. So the idea that he listened to what Ineos / Wilcox may have said about tactics is pretty laughable.

Pretty blatant attempt at credit appropriation in my book from Wilcox OBE (Other Buggers Efforts).

The subsequent media briefings are akin to doing a JT and putting a shirt on and getting in the team photos. :)

Anonymous_United, JC7rox and Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i agree. i think we'd overpay for English talent in particular. especially if we pull a Maguire for the second time.

and as for the immediate future, ten Hag doesn't have time to develop kids if he stays. he'd already be extremely fortunate to stay on. he'd need results and soon.

don't think he has the leeway for development

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We do both. We develop young players. Use the UK loophole to sign all the talented 16 and 17 year olds on the continent from other academies. Then see who pans out. We keep the best of the best. Plus when we sign new players, only those under 24 unless it seems too good to be true like RVP.

SF19 repped this.
  23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    @Sofabloke

Can't bring JT in this unless we bring sexy back into this team.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Heard an interesting theory that could in part explain the Branthwaite situation, which is that Ineos know it will actually be beneficial if we are seen to bid for somebody then actually walk away for a change when the transfer gets into the Man Utd tax levels.

Not to say that this is not real / just for show, just that this situation is going to arise sooner or later (us walking away because we cant & dont want to afford) so better for it to happen sooner in the window to put down a marker for subsequent transfers.

Time will tell I guess …

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Todibo transfer is definitely off this window as UEFA rules do not permit it according to Romano.

Was apparently well advanced too.

Deadtigers and SF19 repped this.