Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    said it a million times now, Amrabat is in the last year of his contract. Fiorentina will not loan him for a measly £8.5m to lose him for free after.

interesting how quickly opinion has turned on him. he hasn't been given a proper chance imo

Deadtigers, thefly and JC7rox repped this.
  2. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Proper chance or not, now is the time to make cut throat decisions. Everything that happens for the next 6 months will be under the microscope. And what has he done with the chances he has been given? We still have Donnie and many others based on the same mentality.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well again, Fiorentina wouldn't be left holding the bag like that. they aren't United. you're also saying this as if i've never been in favour of making cut throat decisions. don't know why.

as for Amrabat i don't care either way. i never got on board that hype train in the first place. it was clearly an overextension to buy him and now we've locked ourselves into another less than ideal situation

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You've always been very emotional, even more so than Mizzou

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kinda funny that we are being linked with Joao Gomes (Wolves) and Amadou Onana (Everton) as our Casemiro replacements and Mainoo faced both this week in the Brazil and Belgium friendlies. Onana looked good in that game, a nice cushioned touch to Tielemans for Belgium opener.

From what (little) I have seen of them, Amadou Onana looks to be the better option. Looks to have good distribution and he seems to be a threat from set-pieces (which should mean he can help our fairly small team defend them too).

Good age (22) and from what I can see no significant injury history either.

[​IMG]

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I like Onana for a squad option. Nice replacement for what McTominay was supposed to be. Provides a lot that were missing.

We still need a midfielder who can help us build from the back and play out of pressure and he's not that guy.

He and Bruno G would two good pick ups.

SF19 repped this.
  7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree on Bruno G - he would be a monster signing, however I think we would be outbid if Newcastle were forced to sell.

I think Onana press-resistance and passing out from the back are fine from what I have seen. I also think at 22 he can develop under a manager like ten Hag to hopefully resolve some deficiencies in his game.

As I have said before, if we are building our team around Martinez and Mainoo, then we need some height/physicallity in the other CB / DCM positions and he will certainly help with that :)

benni... repped this.
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I didn't realize Onana was 22. Dude looks 35.

SF19 repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Is Onana a 6? I mean if he is available sure.

Can't we trade McT to Chelsea for Lavia?

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Somebody said a while back that we _really_ need a midfield commander / general etc.

Never been more true.

Saw an interview before the Brentford game where EtH said the game will need fight and intensity to win as Brentford will come out fighting at home. So the team were fully prepared for what was coming in that regard.

We really need some of that fighting attitude and the type of player who will demand this from others, as we are sorely lacking in those types of players outside of Martinez and maybe Dalot and Hojlund.

Should be key attribute in who we look at.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Casemiro if his legs didn't go.

If ten Hag were to stay, I think we should pursue Koopmeiners. Old temmate of Rasmus at Atalanta. Great age, rarely injured. Really good mid. Arguably the best in Serie A. I think ideal to ten Hag's dual 8 system.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A CM should be the primary focus this summer. IMO it should be a 6. So many of our problems in both attack and defense are because we arguably have a bottom 5 midfield in the league. Our current setup asks Mainoo to do way too much, leaves the front 4 isolated, provides no way to slow/stop counters, and gives the defense no protection or buildup outlet. We badly need a 6 that can cover ground and keep possession. It would make a world of difference going both ways.

13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Throw Chelsea 40 for Lavia and problem solved. Him and Amrabat will allow us to sell Casi and McT.

14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think we need the attitude thing from all our signings to be honest.

We have had a team full of pu55ies / shrinking violets for far too long.

Aside from the obvious Keane, so many of our players from the past would have been losing their sh1t with their colleagues in that Brentford game. Not just because they were used to a winning team but because they had a fighting spirit. When the manager preps the team by saying we need fight and intensity, they would not just have listened and translated that attitude on the pitch - but would have demanded it of others too.

I can put up (to a degree) with poor performances, however the consistent lack of fight in these players is really wearing me and many others down.

Can you imagine how Evra at LB would react to Rashford strolling around? Or Gary Nev at RB playing behind Antony after one of his inevitable failed attempted dribbles / cheap giveaways?

Or Keane "talking" to McT as he hides behind oppo players when Keane in possession?

Only AWB got a yellow for a foul. McT had a booking for some handbags with Maupay after the equaliser. That was it - in a game that EtH told them to go out and be aggressive in.

We can have all the different managers in the world, but if the manager says go out and fight and the team consistently drops performances like that and none of the players on the field seem to care enough to take each other to task, then it will make no difference.

Our priorities are CM / CB / #9 and we should prioritise players who are competitive and highly demanding of others to try and redress this lack of balance. We had teams full of these types of players in the past - it was a key criteria for SAF / Gill.

SF19 repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Seems like y’all are pretty sure we’ll be able to do business this summer. I think you get amrabat and a nice pat on the back…

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I actually think part of the reason McT keeps getting minutes under various managers is because he’s one of the few with the right mentality. Seems like a hard worker, fighter type. Problem is, he lakes the technical skill or understanding of the game. Mentality by itself doesn’t mean much, or Brandon Williams would be a starter here.

All that to say, I agree we need to prioritize mentality. That was part of the reason a lot of people wanted us to go for Rice. Apparently from his time at WH he had leader written all over him. We need some guys like that. I think prioritizing younger guys and ones not looker for their last big payday will help this as well. It’s harder to find hungry guys once they’ve already made it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Normally would agree with you - "follow the money" in the past meant no transfers before financial year end and keep some of the balance of profits to keep the dividends coming.

Difference this window is that the Glazers have agreed to pause the dividends for a few years and Ineos have put up cash to buy in and have taken over the football side of things (very specifically recruitment).

So "follow the money" says they actually care a little more this time around about the football side of things and have identified recruitment specifically. The deal also means the Glazers can force a sale summer 25 ('drag-along right') - so Ineos will want to make progress next year or they could get the rug pulled from under them to an extent if the Glazers dont see progress.

For sure, the ambition may be limited to CL and for sure they may not have that much to spend. For sure also they can eff it up. However feels like there will be some more business this window, including a lot of effort to move some players for a change (though again, how that pans out remains to be seen).

Amrabat is gone imo - too slow for the league / this position in this team otherwise EtH would have given him more minutes.

18. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    There’s still the bit about us having to sell players before we can buy and financial fair play. If we can’t offload players we can’t buy any.

majspike and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tru dat!

Have to see if paying Berrada / Ashworth / Wilcox (if reports accurate) the big bucks can finally mean we can execute on selling :)

20. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sounds like no one is backing down on Ashworth and is likely not to be in place for summer.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are so many ways around him unofficially doing his job for us until he can officially do it. These gardening leaves are stupid. Theyre almost impossible for the former club to enforce or prove that the rules were broken.

22. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Give him a few different burner phones and he'll be our Moggi. Finagle the referees, get a few key players suspended before they play us... oh glory, glory Man United!

Sofabloke and Deadtigers repped this.
  23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
  24. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    If we do business this summer, I bet we target Everton/forrest/newcastle, and try to take their young talent. Premier league proven, and we have leverage with them being in financial trouble.

thefly repped this.
  25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Branthwaite and Onana wouldn't be the worst options, especially if we can get a cut price.

Deadtigers and thefly repped this.