Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Isn't that like the epitome of a one in a generation, unicorn striker. A striker who is fast, physical, elite level in link up/build up play AND a killer in front of goal? Every player has some weak points you have to work around.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    also need to get past the tunnel vision perfect fit for ten Hag/ten Hag's system.

if he is as good as we think he can help players adapt or adapt himself

JayBoy, benni... and Chaz Striker repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can only speak for myself, but I put technical ability over everything else. Osimhen is a little weak technically. I’d be fine overlooking that if he wasn’t going to cost over 100 mil. For that price, we should be getting a unicorn. He’s also got an iffy injury record. What I will say is an underestimated how good of a finisher he could be. He’s taken a step up that I didn’t think he had.

I honestly don’t think the young, perfect fit striker for ETHs system exists right now (other than guys that aren’t available). So since that’s the case, I would rather get someone that fits a system for a reasonable price and let’s us spend big on guys that are perfect fits in other areas like a FDJ or Bellingham in midfield.

I’d still be looking at someone like Sesko if he wasn’t so young. He has the right profile but that’s a lot of pressure to put on a 20 year old. Otherwise, test Juves resolve with Vlahovic. Actually, screw it, get both and ship out Martial. Vlahovic is ready to contribute now and Sesko can get minutes off the bench. Perfect long term plan. Combined those two would probably cost about the same as Osimhen.

jscott23, Deadtigers and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    This is why I wanted Jesus. But his knee injury this season isn't a good omen since he had knee issues early in his career.

Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Add Hojlund of Atalanta to the list.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I understand dude. You need all the help you can get.

7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    The only funny thing you've ever said. On here or in real life. Congrats.

Deadtigers, J'can and benni... repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You give up some things to get other attributes.

What would you prefer to have in a striker?

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Posted in another thread that for a lot of top teams not uncommon in modern football to have a WF or sometimes AM score the highest in the team these days rather than the #9.

Think Salah at Liverpool, Sterling for a season at City, KdB etc. For EtH similar story with Tadic often out scoring Haller I believe.

Maybe a modern football thing but maybe also just not that many Haaland / Aguero / Kane type prolific #9s anymore at EPL level.

Using WW as a template am sure the key things EtH would want more of are conversion rate and in particular for EtH pace. Pretty sure the things valued highly of WW are workrate, pressing, selflessness. Defending set-pieces too very useful (given #9s need such attributes to be a threat too). WW has improved us greatly at this.

Goes without saying a Dutch coach would want any central forward player comfortable scoring / assisting with both feet :) Something Mason was great at :(

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think the recent EPL striker signing who would be EtH wet dream in terms of attributes would be someone like Son Hueng Min … just more so three or four years younger.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fwiw, I always read it with the J instead of Hesus so it took me a minute to figure out who you were talking about.

Anyway I always figured you for a Jehovah's Witness.

jscott23 repped this.
  12. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Close. Door to door salesman.

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ the next john paul dejoria.

14. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It's possible 10hag wants a new Son so we dont remain so reliant on Rash alone. The gaffer did want Darwin in the summer. Given that possibility, we could in turn wait it out until the perfect player emerges as an option for that CF role, i.e., giving some of these names time to prove they are the real deal, but that would mean signing another stop gap.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just have to say it...I dont know why, but the way you type ten Hag makes me furious.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I seen it before, but yeah it's a little too gen-z of me.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Honestly, I’d rather pick someone who is excellent in most areas but is only a 7/10 finisher, than someone who is an elite finisher but lacks technically, or doesn’t look to use teammates, or doesn’t really press. You can be an ok finisher and put up absurd numbers just through being on the end of a lot of easy chances, by facilitating the players behind you to play those cutbacks from the half spaces.

The reason I mentioned Toney is pretty much because he fits this description. He’s a great target man, he’s technically good, he’s selfless with his work rate and he can score 20 without needing everything focused on him alone. Plus he’s good enough to be 1st choice without kicking up a stink if he’s 2nd choice.

Evan Ferguson is my front runner right now but he’d need a senior player to rotate with for a year or two. And that’s what you could do with Osimhen money - sign Ferguson for £50m and still have big money for a striker ahead of him.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For me it varies and depends on the team and the plans for the team. So from what I see from this team, we don't need a killer goal scorer if we can have a player that presses well, links up the play well and play off the wide players and the ten.

We have (will have) goals all over the team so a 7/10 goal scorer would work. The way I understand this team and where it might be going a firmino would be more valuable than a Haaland

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Maybe Firmino over Haaland isn't the best example, but I get what you mean lol and agree.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What do you guys think about Muhammad Kudus? I am seeing some of the United podcast and shows talking about and he's been having a good season for Ajax and has worked under EtH before.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure if he was that good, we'd have been linked to him a long time ago instead of just now.

22. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It’s been his breakout season. I’ve not seen a lot first hand but people have raved about him most of the season, even under Schreuder. Really versatile - can play anywhere in midfield & attack except DM, great dribbler, tenacious, technical, inventive, good at driving with the ball.

I don’t know how the squad fit looks because I want Amad to stay next season and I want him to find some minutes at RW and 10. But Kudus and Timber would be an insane package deal so I’m all in favour of losing fringe players like Pellistri to accommodate him. Send Donny back the other way too, let him find happiness again.

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Incidentally, Osimhen scored yesterday. He also completed a total of 2 passes against 10 man Eintracht Frankfurt. One of those was a kick-off.

Deadtigers and SF19 repped this.
  24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ He almost had an assist (but to your point, it wasn't a good enough pass if I recall) and won a penalty (he wins quite a few of them).

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Yeah, the pen where he gets in front of an oblivious defender trying to play a long pass upfield.

I get that he’s excellent at the specific thing he does. But £130-140m is just…