Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I saw the Tielemans references. I think WW coming in an slotting in is deceptive. Strikers can usually slot in, if they are good enough. So much about creative players comes down to understanding and ETH requires so much from Eriksen. I just don't feel confident that we bring a player in with no history with ETH who hits the ground running.

I honestly think it will be a heavy dose of Fred next to Casemiro and more minutes for Mainoo and some minutes for Iqbal.

There is also a possibility that Bruno is asked to play deeper and we play someone else at 10. Bruno is kinda important from an energy standpoint. He and Antony make up for Rashford's poor pressing (just as he makes up for his poor pressing with goals) so I don't actually think playing someone at 10 who isn't a great presser is a good idea.

Really sucks that Donny is out at the same time Eriksen is. Just horrible luck for him.

Abso********inglutely not. Ugh. Nope. I'd rather play Elanga at striker.

Good reason. He's going to be a good player. Ultimately he needs some development, but I think he's got the tools to be an effective attacker in a high pressing system.

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Ibra is set to retire in the summer and is currently recovering from a knee operation.

There's good reason to believe we are trying to sign another forward, but Tuesday is cutting it close.

3. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Bruno absolutely won’t play deeper. He lacks the mental faculties. That’s why ETH has been pushing him out wide more if anything

Don’t think anything’s going to happen unless we either recall Mejbri or manage to wangle a Gravenberch loan out of thin air, despite the noises coming out that Bayern aren’t looking to send him out. Realistically it’ll mean using Iqbal and Mainoo more, which is fine.

Overall we’ll be happy with our wide options. Garnacho’s done well as an impact sub. Pellistri’s already a big upgrade on Elanga who is ineffective for a team that needs creativity and some sort of threat on the ball from width. Antony’s starting to be used properly, and Sancho’s coming back. And then in other positions we’ve seen Shaw is our 2nd best LCB, Malacia is dependable, AWB has been a lot better than expected and Lindelof is fine to cover Varane. Weghorst has shifted what I want from a 9 next season too, I can’t think about Osimhen for the role anymore.

It’s just centre mid that’s a worry at the moment as we’ve got two injuries, and Eriksen’s being leaned on too much as is. But imo we don’t want to fritter away money on players like Tielemans who will just be a wasted squad space and a blocker on youth when we want to make more permanent moves in the summer.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I wasn't suggesting Bruno become an 8 long term, just situationally. I agree that's not his best use, but just spitballing really but we are just so thin at the position. I'm grasping at straws. I agree that Mainoo & Iqbal after Fred will be most likely.

I think we're doing fine, but I really believe this team will be remarkably transformed by the addition of GK, CF, CM.

I'm interested to know why you are looking away from Osimhen having seen WW? Other than price, he seems like the perfect ETH CF.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Care to elaborate further?

6. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    Osimhen would be the dream at #9.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My guess would be because WW has exceptional link-up play where Osihmen seems to struggle in that regard. Just not technical enough.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I mean that's true, but Osimhen can also run in behind and create space for players in a way that WW can try to do, but cannot replicate. He's also a much more prolific scorer. But the link play is a concern.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Osimhen is far superior from a physical standpoint. From what I’ve seen, he uses his body was better than WW and has way more pace. The ability to get in behind is a huge plus since outside of Rashford we don’t have anyone else that makes those runs. And yes, his finishing is good. Way better than I originally gave him credit for.

But…I don’t like the idea of a 9 who is weak in the build up, especially against teams that sit back. Too long we’ve seen without a decent 9 that our wingers get isolated and we struggle to break teams down. A 9 with decent link up can move around the box, play intricate 1-2s, and help break teams down. We don’t need another guy holding up his hand for a cross when we have teams pinned back.

10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #3060 Naboomagnoli, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Pretty much this. I grabbed this from the game he scored that amazing goal from at the weekend. In the end I think it was 4/8 passes completed.
    92656D6C-D233-47ED-98F3-94FC052BF89A.jpeg

I do want pace up top especially when I think about potentially having both Sancho and Antony on the wings. But then I look at how well Weghorst has been able to hold off challenges from high and lay the ball back or diagonally, and the difference it makes to our ability to get the team up and gain/hold territory is huge.

It’s not that Osimhen definitely couldn’t work, it’s more that the fees being talked about are genuinely insane - and for that price I couldn’t possibly be ok with that level of deficiency in link play. And I really don’t see how he’s a Ten Hag striker in that regard. For this team right now, barely, but we’ll want to be much less of a transition side even next season.

I‘m really not blown away by any forwards who are going to be available though. Kane is at an age where he’d need replacing around when Casemiro, Varane and Bruno do. Ramos is probably the best fit of the bigger names but doesn’t move me hugely. Sesko doesn’t look available. Of all the players around I really like the look and fit of Evan Ferguson but no way are Brighton selling their first good striker in years, not before he’s maxed out his market value.

IMO for Osimhen money we could spend that on fixing midfield and GK, possibly even RB/RCB too, and get better results just with Weghorst because we’d be pushed up and laying siege on opposition goals far more regularly. Not that that’s my first choice, just that I disagree that Osimhen achieves what people think he would for us better than a forward who is more rounded if less elite in any particular area.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There might be 3 forwards in Europe with better hold up and link play than Tony Martial. Hold up play isn't for bunkers. For teams sitting deep, you need a 9 that occupies the CBs. The way Bruno's goal came after WW drove deep into the box when the ball was on the left touchline. I'd worry about our ability to beat teams when we won't have a lot of the ball without a 9 who can link play. As things stand, we could keep WW or play Tony in that role or maybe even develop a F9 from one of our group of youngsters coming through.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think another benefit of having ETH is that hes a system guy and we should be buying guys based on how well they fit his system. Thats how Pool got so many good deals under Klopp, They bought system guys that werent necesarily stars. Thats who we should be targeting. Plus, theres no need to ever buy a 100 mil player unless they A. are a finished world class talent that gets the team over the last hurdle or B. are a young player with potentially world class talent long term. Osihmen doesnt fall under either of those.

As far Kane, I balked at him forever and I still think he'd cost way too much. But if it looks like we're a team that could compete for titles next season, I'd be open to it. Hes almost a guaranteed 20 plus goal scorer and isnt a guy that depends a ton on pace so he'd probably be top level for at least 3 seasons. We'd get likely no resale value though so it isnt a smart investment unless we think he can bring us titles. My biggest concern with him is he likes to drop into Bruno space. Thats either a problem or a benefit if it allows Bruno to make some over the top runs from deep which we've seen him do.

I still think Sesko would be a great long term fit. His finishing is the only thing that worries me. He seems streaky. Plus, starting for United is a huge burden to put on an unproven kid.

Sadly I dont see a ton of obvious options at 9 for this summer.

I love Martials hold up and link up when teams are bunkering. When hes in the mood hes great in that regards. But we shouldnt even be talking about him. Hes hurt, yet again, and is basically our new Hargreaves. Hes perpetually injured and shouldnt be counted on in any regard.

As for needing a tall 9 to occupy CBs for bunkering teams, thats a bit archaic line of thinking. Sure, that was the case in the get wide and cross style of the 90s and ealy 2000s, but thats an outdated concept. Now, the top teams dont break bunkering teams by peppering in crosses from wide, but moreso by quick passing in triangles and by moving the defense around with smart off the ball runs. Size isnt needed for that.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tony Martial point was made to illustrate that hold up play isn’t particularly useful against bunkers. His ability didn’t make us immune from stuttering attacks against teams sitting deep. I’d be less worried about his health if he weren’t THE guy.

Occupying CBs is not archaic. I didn’t say tall either. A short king could do the same if he has the right movement. Elanga is one of our better players at this (not elite, but useful).

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Did you really just say "a short king"? You're such a dork.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

Chaz Striker repped this.
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My bad, not sure where I got tall from.

But you lost me at Elanga is useful at something.

17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #3067 Naboomagnoli, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Hold-up & link-up play is absolutely useful too, against bunkers or otherwise. The logic with the Martial observations doesn’t hold up. It’s like cutting protein out of your diet completely and subsisting solely on vit c supplements because a diet of nothing but chicken didn’t stop you from getting scurvy.

We’ve had players who occupy CBs and failed to break down blocks too - almost like there’s more to it than the presence of one quality in isolation!

Elanga is aggressively mid. I know there’s a cluster of Utd twitter accounts who are all on the same group chat and the absence of dissenting voices means they can come out and say Elanga is very good, but he’s a lower midtable player in the long run. His movement off the ball is overstated simply because of the dearth of it we’ve otherwise had.

He’s athletic and he’s got decent movement, and is almost always completely ineffectual for us whichever position he plays.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, getting a CM on loan becomes really important now. Eriksen ruled out until April or May. We can’t rely on Fred for that many games. Especially when the next man up is McT.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    im confident we wont get anyone to cover eriksen loss. Feck glazers.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    ok.. we are looking to get Marcel Sabitzer from Bayern on loan. Midfielder and can play multiple positions as per Romano.

edit

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Marcel Sabitzer out of nowhere.

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d try and get Modric :)

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Is Gravenberch not an option?

24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Hard to imagine Modric leaving mid-season and his age is an issue.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haven’t seen enough of Sabitzer to judge. Good pickup or no?