Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ Big Dunc is still around. And I think they have someone who did the nuts and bolts of the job under Ancelotti at Real, Chelsea and Bayern. I'm not sure Lamps will last, but he'll learn a thing or two from him as well while getting games in.

Personally, I'd like to have seen Garner stay and fight for a spot. I liked what I saw from him at Forest. But like McT, he's better off at one of these midtable English clubs.

2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What? Are you the guy who wanted Maguire as cdm?

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Center-half, a sweeper in front of the defense, but for Liverpool game, not every game.

4. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Gibbs-White went to the same team that Garner played for last season. It just shows that even Nottingham Forest think Garner is not even worth 15 million right now, why would any team pay any more for him?

5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    WTF. Who, Maguire?

Thats quite possibly the worst idea I've ever read on BS.

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Forest were interested in Garner, but as a club coming up from the Championship were never likely to be the club able to pay the highest fee for him or be the most attractive option for him salary wise.

7. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's happening with Antony transfer? He was supposed to be announced on Tuesday.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He was arguably their best player last season. I know they were interested in him this summer, not sure why they didn’t pull the trigger, especially at this price. Unless we weren’t sure about selling him at the beginning of summer so they moved to other targets.

Pretty sure Forest have spent more this summer than any other PL club besides Us and Chelsea.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now that the window is nearly shut, let’s speculate on what the hell happened in the FDJ saga. Because either we got played or someone spectacularly misjudged the situation from our side.

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That they have bought a lot of players doesn't mean they are likely to be able to pay the highest for him (which was my point).

They have signed a lot of players on low fees, mostly under £18m and they also signed some CMs when we were still deciding what to do with Garner.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Romano says there is a buy-back :)

Not stated how much, but should hopefully explain in part the fee.

At least if he develops strongly then we can look to get him back.

SF19 repped this.
  12. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ten Hag also says the club will not buy anyone else before Thursday's transfer deadline once the signings of Antony and Martin Dubravka are completed.

United have agreed an £81.3m deal to sign winger Antony from Ajax, while they are close to bringing in keeper Dubravka from Newcastle United.

"For this window, it will be the end," said Ten Hag.

"You always have to be alert at a top club. But we will go from September to minimum January with this squad."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62739608

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Some context please. We needed to shore up the defense. We conceded too many easy goals and we had Liverpool coming up.

The pundits had suggested Lisandro should play in the midfield because he's short. I never doubted Lisandro at CB, but didn't know he'd be this good either. I suggested Lisandro and Varane at CB with Maguire in front (not as a midfielder proper, but as a sweeper).

Dropping the captain was not a light decision and Lisandro being MOTM wasn't a preordained fact. It was a big call and ten Hag got it right.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    All the best to Garner, hopefully he will develop and we can buy him back.

15. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sounds like Southampton might land Gakpo for around £25m, initial bid of £21m rejected

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    less than 24 hours to go. your suffering is almost at an end

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He was the best/most important player for a promoted team. That's usually enough for 20M. 9.5 initial fee is nuts. He's young, terrific engine, adaptable.

The thing that pisses me off is that within 5 or 6 starts, he'd be miles ahead of Scott. Scott offers some things, but is really terrible at the things he sucks at. Any kid coming into the first team will suffer a little but if/when we need a squad midfielder in 2-3 seasons when we have our long-term 6 and an 8 next to them, we'll pay 40M for another Donny who won't be as good as Garner.

It probably just is pragmatism. There's probably only minutes for 1 developing CM and they're gonna go to Iqbal this season.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Think it came down to Frenkie not wanting to give up the money Barca owe him. They didn't want to pay that money, they expected him to cave or for us to pay his deferred wages and he wasn't about that and neither were we. He'll get paid 500K a week to be a rotation player for them.

I think they assumed they could still move him because they registered Kounde with money from the board... like people's personal money they put into Barca's coffers. I think they didn't make a big deal out of it because they wanted that money back pending a sale and also they probably feel pretty stupid with all the 'levers' talk.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No buy-back according to Whitwell

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good window, our best in ages:

Antony
    Casemiro
    Eriksen
    Martinez
    Malacia
    Dubravka

We have finally replaced Nani and we're edging towards a functional midfield.

jeff070 repped this.
  24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Realistically Garner’s found his level with that move, a buyback would just be decorative. The fee is stupid low, I was expecting £15m rising to £20m. But it’s kinda apparent that we’re moving him aside so that technically superior players like Iqbal and Mainoo have a clear run as the academy talent coming through.

I’m happy with the players we do have, but a bit annoyed at how much it cost when had we been more proactive we could have spent the same and signed someone like Matheus Nunes. But it is what it is. We have 6 months to fix our scouting dept so they can actually participate next summer’s moves.

Deadtigers and jeff070 repped this.
  25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Im not buying it. There were rumors that us and Chelsea were willing to pay his owed wages in order to get the move to happen. If we overpaid like we did for Antony, I find it hard to believe we would pay a little extra to get FDJ over the line given we chased him all summer and he was the #1 target.

Looking back, it seems clear now that FDJ was never going to leave. He said he didn’t want to leave and he stood by it. At the time I thought he was just posturing to get the club to pay him off, but I no longer think that was the case. Unless he used us to generate word he was available and hoped a bigger CL club would come in for him.

I think the other likely scenario is that we were getting encouragement the whole time from Barca and not FDJs camp and we trusted they would be able to force him out.

jeff070 and JC7rox repped this.