Transfer Thread...aka media lies

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DaPrince84, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    We shouldn't buy Baptista and Real Madrid should buy Reyes.

2. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University
    i can seriously see robben moving after all the stuff hes said in the media and how unhappy he is not playing much.
    question is with ribbery likely to be available
    which would you take,
    i would go for ribbery tbh even though he has not adapted to the EPL i think he has tonnes of potential.
    and we all know wengers record with young french players.

3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eto'o on the end of all our moves would be phenomenal - probably 25 or more goals a season..

Too bad he will cost upward of 20m. Worth every penny, but out of our budget.

We definately need to bring in a new goal scorer - someone who can guarantee double digits. The problem is our squad is full, and we don't have the funds.

I know we have been injury plagued this year, but this is our goal scoring statistics so far this season,

Code:
    	Appearences	Goals
    RVP	   30		  13		
    Ade	   32	  	  10		  
    Henry	   22		  12 
    Baptista   18  		  7 		   
    Rosicky	   27		  4  
    Hleb	   29		  3

Other than henry and rvp averaging about a goal every other game, the rest of our offensive team members have not been contributing nearly enough in terms of goals.

I personally like our rosicky+hleb wing play, so I wouldn't want to replace them, so where else can we look for goals?

4. Potatoe985

Potatoe985 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    PA
    how many of those appearances are appearances of 10 or less minutes? minutes played is a better stat than appearances but even that isnt good, starts v goals is the best me thinks

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well aside from baptista, the others were used mostly as starters than subs - so I don't think that would affect things too much.

If you look at our 4 "wing" players, they have combined for a grand total of 9 goals this season. We are probably the team with the greatest number of goals coming from the defensive players.

49 goals in all competitions from our 6 most offensive players - we should be doing a lot better than that.

6. Dynamo and ArsenalFC

Aug 5, 2006
    Beaumont
    sell bap, ali, and reyes and get s. eto'o

7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Baptista would just return, and not get us any money.
    Aliadiere would only bring in about 2m tops
    Reyes' poor form this season has ensured we won't get more than 8-10m for him as well.

The fact is we simply have no way of generating the amount of cash to make such a lavish - yet totally awesome purchase.
    Mancs may end up selling c.ronaldo to real - then they would definately have enough money - and I would be very concerned if eto'o ended up at any of our rivals.

Eto'o would be perfect for our team - in a completely selfish way. He will not allow so many chances to go to waste, and with the number of good balls we play, he could average close to a goal a game on this team.

8. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University
    disagree i remember watching the managing director talking about our financial results, and he said somewhere along the interview we can now go outand buy a big money signing. due to the stadium and extra sponors.

i think 20mil is well within our reach
    especially as you think we are willing to pay 12.5 mil for a 16year old kid.

9. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    You're right about Edelman speaking about the financials but a little off re: Walcott. Arsenal only paid about £5 million as a down payment. The £12.5 million cost hasn't been realized yet.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walcott doesn't command a huge salary, which is a just as big a factor as the transfer fee when making a signing, maybe even a bigger factor.

11. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, all this talk about buying players like Eto'o, but I have to say, I'd be incredibly surprised if Arsenal spent £20 million on any player. Looking at our history of recent purchases (and a couple noteworthy sales) you can see we rarely shell out that kind of money.

This list isn't comprehensive, but there are some significant points within it.

Look at 2003. What an incredible year. We spent £4 million for Clichy, Fabregas, Lehmann and Djourou.

It makes me sad, but our record transfer fee paid was for Reyes in 2004 – a deal worth "up to" £17.5 million, based on appearances, etc. I'm not sure exactly what that's worked out to be. The previous record was for Wiltord – £13 million.

The only players I tried to find info on and couldn't find any indication were Traore and Flamini. Flamini's was a special case, where we received him for free but then later paid Monaco some compensation – though I don't know how much.

Funny enough, I also learned a few random facts: did you know Gilberto's middle name is Emmanuel? And that Senderos's middle name is Sylvain?

Transfers for most current first-team players and some other note-worthy Arsenal players of the last ten years

199? - Aliadiere - Home-grown
    1996 - Anelka - £500,000

1998 - Ljungberg - £3 million

1999 - Henry - £11 million
    1999 - Anelka sold for £23 million

2000 - Pires - £6 million
    2000 - Wiltord - £13 million
    2000 - Lauren - £7.2 million
    2000 - Overmars sold for £25 million

2001 - Sol Campbell - Free

2002 - Toure - £150,000
    2002 - Gilberto - £2.2 million
    2002 - Senderos - £2.5 million

2003 - Clichy - £250,000
    2003 - Fabregas - £2.2 million, essientially free
    2003 - Lehmann, £1.5 million
    2003 - Djourou - free (Academy)

2004 - Reyes - £10-£17.5 million
    2004 - van Persie - £3 million
    2004 - Flamini - free (although Arsenal later paid some compensation)
    2004 - Wiltord leaves on a free

2005 - Hleb - £10 million
    2005 - Eboue - £1.5 million
    2005 - Traore - ????
    2005 - Vieira sold for £14 million

2006 - Diaby - £2 million
    2006 - Rosicky - £7 million
    2006 - Denilson - £3.4 million
    2006 - Adebayor - £7 million
    2006 - Theo Walcott - £5 million, rising to around £12.5
    2006 - Gallas - (-£5 million)
    2006 - Baptista - Swap deal.
    2006 - Pires leaves on a free.

So what's all that mean? I don't think we'll splash that kind of cash (£20 mil) in the transfer market. Including Gallas's £5 million, we actually spent £20 million (apart from Walcott's incentives) in 2006 to get ALL of those players; Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson, Adebayor, Walcott and Gallas, not including Baptista. I'd much rather we do that with £20 million again than sign one player, as much as I like Eto'o. And I'll admit, I'll be the first to buy his kit if he comes.

If we're signing a striker/winger, it would more than likely be no more than the £10-13 million range. Robinho and Ribery could both be priced out of this range by their clubs, and they're not worth more than that. Babel could be signed for probably about £12 million – I still think he's a great option.

Let's not forget all the pre-season talk of Davies too, but Wenger balked at the £8 million pricetag. I think he could still be a target (maybe some Senderos haters will hop on board with that idea).

Bottom line: No way Eto'o comes without Henry leaving. Sorry that was so long. Enjoy!

12. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If baptista were to go back, and we sold Reyes, we would get at least 8-10m. Eto'o was priced at what, 20-22m? We have bendtner, muamba and song coming back too.

Our squad is pretty stacked, and we don't need more CMs. Buying eto'o would eliminate the need for bendtner so we could probably sell them for a combined 3m? If charlton stay up and wanted to keep song, maybe thats another 1m-2m?

We could make on average 11-15m this summer by selling reyes, bendtner, song, muamba. That makes an eto'o purchase definately within reach, assuming lehmann sticks around another year so we don't need to purchase a keeper.

While we could definately squeeze the money out to purchase him, it is too much of an inconvenience - but on the other hand the goals you would get from eto'o would make us a serious contender for all titles - and the merchandise he would sell will definately help ease things.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can you imagine this outfield,

--Henry----Eto'o----RVP
    ------Rosicky---Cesc
    ---------Gilberto
    Clichy--Gallas-Toure-Eboue

Backups:
    ----Adebayor--Walcott
    Freddie---------------Hleb
    -------Diaby--Denilson
    Traore--Djourou-Send--Hoyte

Other than senderos, the second lineup is incredibly strong as well. We would have 2 full teams - like chelsea, but better ;)

Fastest team on the planet, and one of the best lineups on the planet as well. With our typical injury list of 7 or more, everyone will get more than enough time to play. We would have by far the strongest squad in england.

14. sanjaya k

sanjaya k New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    chicago, us
    Just wanted to see those side-by-side

15. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    All this talk of Henry-Eto-RVP up front is making my mouth water BUT
    a) it ain't gonna happen
    b) I'm with Aussie-gunner and have been crying out loud for a genuine winger. We will be almost unstoppable in our attacking play with one. It is our greatest need.

16. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    secretly id like us to sign quaresma, but its not gonna happen.

17. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    Sammy Eto'o thinking of premiership

the headline on the story is a bit misleading so i altered it slightly for my headline!

these are his own quotes so the source is quite irrelevant. take of his words what u like.

18. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After his little spat with chelsea after the first CL game, I don't see him moving to chelsea. Drogba is there, and they don't have the balls to move sheva on.

I have no doubt he would come here if offered, and I have no doubt that a bid of 22m or so would be accepted this summer, but we don't have 22m. This is just a little phase I'm going through since we are in a bit of a rut when it comes to finishing, and he is the most deadly striker in the world - it will pass soon enough ;)

Damn you to hell arsene wenger for not keeping 22m under your mattress!

19. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    BUt aren't Henry and Eto'o wayyyy to similar for the same team, as much as I would love Eto'o coming to Arsenal, his ego and salary is way to big for Arsenal

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Akinfeev... that rumor keeps coming up

21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They aren't that similar. Henry drops deep and makes runs from the left, Eto'o pretty much stays up top finishing things off.

The reason why henry to barca wouldn't have worked is because ronaldinho is a lot more similar to henry than eto'o is.

Ego is something we need on this team - at least on the field it is. I also get the feeling that eto'o would be kept in check off the field because of his admiration for henry, and what henry does off the pitch as well. The two of them together would be a lethal force, especially as henry's pace begins to drop off and eto'o enters his peak.

With henry, cesc, rosicky's cutting balls, and clichy and eboue's fantastic service from the wings, eto'o would be a record breaker.

22. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    you can only dream of the impact sammy eto'o would have for our team. hes superb and probably exactly wat we need

23. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dream's are all we have!

and Football Manager 2007, where it is as much of a reality as anything! 3 seasons in, Henry is my 31 year old french DB10, Eto'o is 28 - most lethal pairing ever assembled!

24. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    And how much did you pay for him?

25. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    45m

sold *gasp*fabregas and walcott*gasp* - they were genuinely just not needed in my formation I swear!