Transfer Thread 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I was just about to refer to that comment about missing funds for major transfers as well. The reason for a loan is simple and every club does it, teams like Bayern included. You get a player you either cannot afford or that the other club wouldn't sell at that point in time and what you could have bought would have been a downgrade.

Apparently we got him because Reus will be out for longer. I don't know anything about this player but I suppose Madrid must have had a reason to pay 30 million.
    I certainly didn't mind what we got out of Hakimi, we just couldn't afford to buy him in the end.

2. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    this ones with option to buy

3. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    This is fine and as I said before Watzke and Zorc have assembled a squad as good as any in Europe. Squad depth and signings are not a problem at all. There can be no complaints about the quality of the squad.

If anything we have too many midfielders. I would love to see Delaney or Witsel go, alongside Wolf. I would keep Passlack though.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    After seeing a couple videos about Reinier, I think he'd be a great fit as another option for the offensive center. On the other side, if he's brought in as a response to Reus' injury, he might not be the ideal option as in addition to being so young, he'll need time to familiarize himself with the team and the league first. For a crucial central position, I'd prefer more experience as well.
    He's fast, agile, has a good technique and a decent shot. At times flashy but with an eye for his teammates. But it's always hard to predict whether young players can transfer their talent to pro football, especially in another country.

But yes, it will likely be another Hakimi type deal: One year loan with an option for another year. As usual with those rumours, some say a deal is close, maybe even today and some say there hasn't even been any contract.

5. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Looking at Jadon, his style of play kind of reminds me a little be of Ronaldinho.
    He is so smooth, he plays with joy like a lid in school yard.
    His body language and style of play is totally different than anybody else, like other are pushing so hard to achieve what they want and he achieves that with 60-70%..
    I will say it, he is the biggest and most talented player we ever had and 120M is a fkin joke..
    Everything below 150-160M is a joke

6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    For me he is not even in the top 2 most talented players we have had. Dembele was the most talented player I have seen at Dortmund, but he was more raw than Sancho. Gotze was also more talented, which is why it's a shame to see what has become of him. He still does not have a club and might have to go to the MLS or retire.

We really need to focus on selling players not even to raise money, but to get some guys off the wage bill. I would keep Passlack and Raschl.

Pherai can go out on loan.

We need to make an effort to sell Witsel, Delaney and Wolf. Getting those three of the wage budget would help and trim the squad for the Raschl and Bellingham to get a chance.

We need to be brave and trust the youngsters.

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking of Sancho, Favre's comments on him yesterday were kinda amusing. He said that he still has a lot to learn and needs to give more sustained defensive effort - totally what you'd expect a coach to say - but also said Jadon needs to improve his technique, such as controlling the ball with his chest and passing the ball with his head. Pretty random things to quibble about when it comes to one of the most dangerous attackers in Europe but I suppose you expect that kind of detail from Favre.

Other than Reinier, pawning Wolf off to Kovac, and finding a home for Passlack, the major summer business looks almost certainly done. As Favre noted today, every ambitious club will need two full teams this coming season so selling veterans at a loss probably isn't in the cards.

8. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yeh I can understand Favre's basic German. No problem with what was said. A player should always strive to improve.

Passlack is someone I don't think we should sell. Even if he is not good enough, I imagine he sets a good tempo in training and gives everything. The boy has the right attitude.

Favre shouldn't talk about having two teams, when he is one of the worst at rotating. I agree with Mourinho, for all his faults a manager great at fighting on all fronts. We don't need more than 23 players.

-----Burki----
    Meunier---Hummels--Zagadou--Raphael
    Sancho---Brandt---Can-----Dahoud---Reus
    ---------------------Haaland------------------

--------Hitze--------
    Morey---LP---Akanji--Schulz
    Hazard--Bellingham--Raschl--Reyna--Passlack
    ---------------Moukoko

The 2nd team is young, but hungry and they have talent and Passlack can lead them.

We need Reus and Hummels to lead this team, not Delaney and Witsel.

BVBFNM repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are limits to what Reus can do for the club if he can’t play. They are already bracing for life after Marco, going into the season with Reyna a presumptive starter and others like Can taking more vocal roles. At this point I consider it a bonus if Reus can contribute with no timetable for his return.

10. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes there are limits to what Reus can do, but he needs to be used wisely and rested. Favre just played Reus every single second on a schedule, that would burn out even the fittest and strongest of playrs.

Can has it in him to be a good leader and Hummels is still there too.

You also need to have the necessary football ability to garner respect.

Witsel, Delaney just don't have that quality.

11. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    So if Witsel is such a mediocre player and not Dortmund quality then how come he is always an undisputed starter with the Belgian NT who have loads of talent, even at his position? Belgium is also not coached by Favre but by another coach as well so it can't be just Favre?....I just think you are underrating him quite a bit.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Belgium have lacked quality midfielders for a while.It's what has held them back. De Bruyne is the exception.

I am not underestimating him at all. I have seen enough of him. He gives a 6/10 performance, which is just not good enough.

Witsel is one of those players, who is not obviously holding a team back, but makes the players around him worse.

1. He has awful movement off the ball, so he limits the options for the guy on the ball. This means they either hoof it away, or try a dangerous pass and they look bad. If you want a perfect example just watch the first half of the friendly yesterday. Look at how Raphael was constantly moving to give an option for a pass.

2. He is very slow on the ball. This means players that are free are soon marked and chances are lost. It kills the tempo of a team.

3. He just lacks mobility in general so he cannot cover the pitch well like good defensive midfielders like Makalele, etc.

All these three things are a killer. He is just death to a team wanting to play at the top level.

Ask yourself this.
    1. Is Witsel very good defensively compared to the top defensive midfielders?
    2. Is Witsel very good at passing?
    3. Is Witsel very good at covering the ground?
    4. Is Witsel very good at getting into the box.

13. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I’m afraid Witsel is Favre’ s favorite and going to play most of matches, if not all.
    On the other hand, when Witsel was injured, just around x-mas, we haven’t done so good either, with Weigl and Brandt (RBL and Hoffenheim)

14. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Then we are going to have an underwhelming season.

Witsel is precisely the sort of midtable player managers like Favre love. He gives comfortable 5-6 performances. Is conservative and does not play high risk high reward football.

I see it with Crystal Palace when players like McArthur start instead of Meyer.

WItsel offers no leadership and no ability on the ball. Even Delaney offers more than him. We actually did well in the lockdown when Dahoud was given an extended run in the team.

15. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Probably, true. There was a very bad taste in the mouth of a lot of players, fans, staff and people connected with the club about the way we treated Zaha last year.

Zaha is our greatest ever player. He literally saved the club by taking us up, even when he was going to United. He has kept us in the Premier League for our longest period in the top flight. He has taken us to only our 2nd cup final.

We owed him to let him go for Arsenal. Now he is very angry with the club and we have to sell him.

I think he will go, but it will be closer to 30 million pounds.

If Sancho leaves, then Havertz and Zaha would be the perfect replacements, but obviously is never going to happen unless Sancho leaves.

17. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Zaha has a contract till 2023 though.
    So surely Palace will want more then that?

Would selling Sancho and signing both Havertz and Zaha make the team stronger? Imo it probably would.

18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We will see. I think he is fed up and wants out. Unfortunately for all parties there's not much interest. I can see him going to a team like Everton.

I believe buying Havertz and Zaha would make the team stronger and both are likely to stay for longer too.

However, it's going to be extremely embarrassing for the club to go back on their word and sell Sancho. It will make them a laughing stock internationally. As it stands very few people in England think Sancho is staying.

19. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #1944 hava, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    I think this is Zaha's manager or his club testing the waters. Alex C's link said the player was offered which would be semi-believable while I think Sky turned it into PSG, Dortmund, etc are after Zaha.
    This comes out a few days after Watzke said that there's no money left for bigger transfers. So this is likely just nonsense that gives ManU fans hope that we are looking for a Sancho replacement. If that were the case, I'd also throw in Depay with one year left on his contract as a candidate.

And yes, Watzke would deserve to be seen as a clown if we sell Sancho now. Too many believe he's bluffing and that Sancho will move soon. I'm still convinced that Sancho will stay and this has become a question of our reputation as well.

20. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah I hope Sancho stays, it sends out a strong message and also shuts up all those arrogant people who think Dortmund will act like a doormat and cave in.

The club needs to move towards getting rid of the selling club tag, and standing firm here would be a good start. Watzke and Zorc have both put their reputations on the line, first by setting a deadline and then by stating unequivocally that now it has passed that Sancho will stay.

21. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Dont reall get this Reinier deal, loan with no buy option, i hope he doesnt get too much playin time like Hakimi

22. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018

On the one hand, we still need a couple of younger players but Im not sure that the younger players in the attacking area are what we should be after. If this young striker is what everyone says he is then he should give us good minutes as a sup some matches. (truly you cant rely on youth to beat a Bayern team full of players in their prime).

I would be more focused on CB or RB of youth or perhaps CDM... we are aging a lot there

23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes a really poor decision. He shouldn't play unless we have a real injury crisis.

Reus--Haaland--Sancho
    With Brandt behind them should be our attack of choice

Then Moukoko, Reyna, Hazard can rotate for those positions.

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get a squad player with high potential for little investment. They could have kept Hakimi for the right price but couldn't/wouldn't break a club transfer record.

25. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018

Lets be honest the club has made some mistakes as far as players go but they got Sancho, Pulisic, Reyna, Haaland and nameless others for peanuts.

Their problem isnt getting players its getting the right person to lead them. I dont hate this transfer but this guy will be another Hakimi (who saved our butts a few times) so that wouldnt be a bad thing if people are able to call him that in a couple years...

Problem is if we still have favre in one year, then we are likely battling for nothing but champions league places anyway.