Transfer Thread 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Even if Messi would play with us this season, i am not excited because i know Favre wont win shit, he wont be even close to win anything..
    I guess his last season with us and he will be sacked or he will go by himself

BVBFNM repped this.
  2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I fully agree. We need to worry about ourselves and aim to be the best in the world.

At this very second, with Sancho still at the club, we have a squad as good as any in the world.It's down to the manager to do better.

We have no excuse for not competing with Bayern. Our squads are even and it's about the coaching.

Jiri Havran repped this.
  3. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    This is the thing.
    In 2018/19, Favre overall overachieved in the league. No doubt about it, partly due to Reus having an incredible season, but also due to Favre being good at getting the best out of limited players.

However, even during that season he showed he didn't have what it takes to be a top manager. The capitulation against Tottenham and the end of the season, showed Favre didn't have the guts to go out and win big games. He is too cautionary and reactionary. He is not a top manager. Even in a year, where overall he had overachieved that was clear.

The following season was just pathetic. We had Hummels, Brandt, Schulz and Hazard added to the squad. Hakimi and Sancho improved a lot, especially Sancho and then he got Haaland as well. The shameful cup loss against Werden Bremen, the pathetic loss against PSG and Bayern away should have had him fired.

We need to be looking at getting Poch, Nagelsmaan or taking a chance with an attacking manager as soon as possible. The board have put together a top squad, but they need to be ruthless with a manager clearly not good enough.

4. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I’m afraid the only way of getting a new coach now is when/ if we sell Sancho. Then Zorc might reconsider and bring someone new. Otherwise it’ll be a repetition of the last 2 seasons - lots of good football, but also some incredibly boring. Also some wasted talent ( Morey, Dahoud)

eaglespark repped this.
  5. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some criticism from Ulli. Do you agree with him

6. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you prefer Bayern to get weaker so you can win or you will rather get better than a strong Bayern

Option 1 Bayern weaker, Dortmund marginally better and we both embarrass ourselves in Europe like used to be in the mid 2000s

Or Bayern strong, Dortmund stronger and we all challenge ourselves to do better in Europe

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is truth in his observation, but how it functions as a criticism is a more ambiguous question IMO. If you are pointing fingers at BVB, I'm not sure where you start - they probably would be happy to hold onto a Pulisic or Sancho, but a lot of the narrative is driven by the continental and British perception of Dortmund still being a "stepping stone" rather than any actions on the part of the club.

In the short term I don't think there is a real solution as the issue boils down to the money and brand equity available to Dortmund and the Bundesliga as a whole. If the likes of Gladbach and Leverkusen could step up and give the league a formidable top 5-6 competing in Europe (analogous to the EPL top 6) it would help on some level, but ultimately it comes back to the fraught 50+1 question as well.

Maybe Hoeneß does make a good point that Watzke et al. could do a better job managing the cultural tension between being a "traditional" club representing the Ruhr working class and being an international powerhouse. What happened recently with Watzke labeling Aubameyang as a money-grubbing mercenary was perhaps indicative of a double standard which exists with foreign players at BVB, and the presumption that talented players of foreign extraction don't respect the club ends up being a self-fulfilling thesis.

astrophyz repped this.
  8. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I posted elsewhere that I agree with Hoeneß even though it doesn't diminish my wish to see him beaten to a bloody pulp.

I remember when Auba criticized Watzke for showing lack of ambition by selling talent whenever his price demands were met rather than holding on to it and build a team that could challenge for trophies long term. My appreciation of Auba increased, as it shows he clearly wants to see BVB becoming a powerhouse.

eaglespark repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultimately Watzke selling Dembélé for that price keeps looking better as time goes on, and the kid obviously wanted out so I don't think Auba chose a good example. But I understand how he felt at the time, especially as he took Ousmane under his mentorship as a young black French player in Dortmund. Aki instigated that war of words though, no question.

hava and BVBFNM repped this.
  10. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I just want to muse a bit on Dembele.

IMO what happened to Dembele is a case of too much too soon. At age 19 all of his childhood dreams came true, playing for his dream club Barcelona and winning the World Cup.

hava repped this.
  11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    To a certain extent. Dortmund are far too insular and they don't strike whilst the iron is hot. They haven''t got their finger on the pulse of their international standing.

Whilst financially and in Germany things were different, in 2013, Dortmund were seen as a big club internationally. It's ridiculous when fans of Dortmund ridicule 'Der Klassiker', because it was actually great for Dortmund. People saw Dortmund as legitimate challengers for Bayern. Top foreign players would have come and stayed at Dortmund.

However, 8 years of Bayern winning the league and Dortmund 'selling' Hummels, Lewandowski, Gotze to Bayern. Whilst selling 'star' players like Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Sokratis, Auba, Dembele, Gundogan and now Sancho has made them viewed as a joke club.

Terrible performances including the hammering by Tottenham have enforced this. Dortmund are seen as nothing more than a feeder club.

Watzke is going to have to do a lot to change this.

BVBFNM repped this.
  12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Here's the thing in 2018/19 on paper Bayern had a fantastic year. They won the domestic double and lost to the best team in Europe in the CL. The Bayern board have every opportunity to make excuses and claim Kovac deserved his job. He had won the double after all and only the unstoppable Liverpool could knock them out of the CL.

Bayern were only a point behind Dortmund when Kovac got sacked, but they knew the players were underperforming under him, the football was not good enough and they sacked him.

The board are happy to be second best and that's not good enough.

BVBFNM repped this.
  13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Normally, I'd assume Hoeneß also has sufficient knowledge about what's going on in other clubs but I can only judge what gets to the public. And given that, I don't agree at all that we are the ones offloading young talents to make money as fast as possible. I base that on basically all the young and other key players that left us in the last 10 years. I usually regard the narrative that this is our business model as lazy and ignorant so I'm surprised Hoeneß echoes that.

So in general, I'd say his claim is clearly not true but if I had to speculate, he might see signs that we are a bit more active regarding selling Sancho this window and he applies that to all our transfers. And as we know from comments in the past, Bayern doesn't like BL clubs offloading top talent to English clubs.

But I'd agree with his later point that Bayern is considerably harder in their approach to retain essential players who might be dreaming about joining another big club.

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll never know I guess. The turbulence inside and surrounding Barça and the lack of a real support system can't be helping Dembélé. A few years in sleepy Dortmund away from the hype cycle with Aubameyang showing him how to take care of his body could have done wonders, not to mention a healthy contingent of young French-speaking players and coach to keep him from being isolated.

astrophyz and BVBFNM repped this.
  15. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Neither option. I prefer Bayern stays the same / I don't care about Bayern --you can still challenge in Europe at your current level-- and that Dortmund and 2-3 other clubs in Germany get better. The fact that (other than the first half of this season) you don't lose much points in the league is an indication of how badly run the other clubs are. Dortmund can do better in Europe with a top-class coach, and a similar level of talent to this season's.

16. thisisthelife

thisisthelife Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    I see all this talk about Sancho and it is real simple for United - 120M and he can go back to England. It is obvious that his head has been far away from Dortmund for some time now. Replacing Sancho with 2 players is wise, our depth needs improvement.

As for the Lille lad who is supposed to be the replacement - remember talks about him, whilst Pepe was still there and generally he was also in the spotlight often. Personally would prefer if we went for David Neres, but it is questionable as to how Ajax will receive such an offer.

What surprises me is that all potential signings are outfield players. We really need a class act GK. Burki cannot be relied on to take on this mantle. Just look at the opposition we face in the CL, even the Bundesliga - we have one of the weakest GK in comparison to our rivals on these fronts. This needs serious attention and change, instead - new contract for the guy. I am not against him, comes across as likeable, would be a great rotation option, but that is the extent of what he should be offered. Germany produced world-class keepers in recent years. Neuer, ter Stegen, Leno, Trapp, Horn, etc. Why can't we attract one of those, why do we have a GK, that is being sidelined in the Swiss national team in favor of Sommer?

Lastly - the problem right now is Favre. Weak performance in the Bundesliga, weak performance in the CL, weak performance in the DFB Pokal. And he gets a new contract? How? How is this possible? What has he done right to deserve such treatment? It is just absurd that he wasn't sacked in the winter, simply absurd.

eaglespark repped this.
  17. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favre didn't get a new contract, he is just going into the final year of his initial deal. Zorc said they spoke and their relationship is healthy enough such that they feel comfortable not addressing the situation at the moment.

As long as Favre is remaining (for now), I'd say that he has done plenty of good things, but needs to evolve tactically to avoid the same disappointments from the past 2 years. Although Favre's football produces results for most of the season as well as good player development, I think it needs a dash of unpredictability and intensity to crack the big CL knockout showdowns as well as breaking down a stubborn midtable side. I wouldn't entirely put it past him to make it happen, but he has a history of jumping ship when the situation gets beyond his comfort zone...

18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I agree with all of this especially the parts about Favre and Burki.

The only thing, I disagree with slightly is the lack of depth. There's a lot of depth in the team. Favre just does not utilise it.

Last season we could put out these two teams.

-----Burki----
    Hakimi--Hummels--Zagadou--Raphael
    -----Brandt---Can-----Dahoud
    ----Sancho----Haaland---Reus

-------Hiltz--------
    LP---Akanji--Balerdi---Schulz
    ----Witsel---Delaney--Gotze
    ---Reyna---???-----Hazard

The only position where we had a slight lack of depth was striker.

But I have to echo your last statement. It's absurd he was sucked in the winter. simply absurd.

19. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Favre is a midtable manager and is good at managing mid table teams. He can get them to push above their weight. He only did so well last year, because he had such a talented squad.

When you are the inferior team it's seems to be workable to play with low intensity, keep things tight and eventually get a goal. This works, because for a midtable team a draw is nearly always a good result and most teams are around their level.

However, for a top team you need to play high intensity and go out to dominate teams. Favre just cannot set his teams out to do that.

thisisthelife and BVBFNM repped this.
  20. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    livestream of 1st preseason training

astrophyz repped this.
  21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midtable manager is a bit harsh. That would be someone like Kovač, who incidentally is apparently trying to buy Marius Wolf for his Monaco squad. I would say Favre is one of the best in the Bundesliga but hasn't shown the audacity and ruthlessness to take down the big dogs, despite some great performances against the likes of Barça and Leipzig.

I think we agree on what needs to change on the field. I hope both the players and the coach can take a big step, though recent history points to looking disappointment.

22. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
  23. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I fail to see the problem. Every club is looking for young prospects. Not that much different from getting a kid from Leverkusen's academy. ManCity could be pissed about losing another talent but it's also up to them to provide a persuading path to first team football.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  24. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    You are ok with that to continue bringing young prospects and sell them after 2 seasons?
    I see the problem and its getting annoying

BVBFNM repped this.
  25. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Midtable is only slightly harsh. Favre is a good manager for a top 10-5 club. He can get one of those clubs into the CL in his best year with his style.

Laugh at Kovac all you want, but he has actually won trophies with a weaker team than Favre has.

Everyone knows Favre is the wrong man for the job and it's pointless keeping him there only to fire him in before January.

Looks like Sancho is gone. It's a big blow losing our best attacking player. None of the replacements seem anywhere near his quality.

BVBFNM repped this.