Transfer Targets for next season............

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by roykeanes_safc, Apr 25, 2010.

1. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up top seems to be pretty solid thus far, between Bent, Campbell, and Jones. Although, Keane could be a nice fit if you were to make a decent profit from Jones moving on. What do you consider your weakest position that will need some strengthening come this Summer?

3. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Id be mortified if Jones left but it seems Bruce doesnt quite fancy him.

Priorities this season are to tie down Hutton who has been immense.

Then we are crying out for a left winger, Riveros has been linked. We could also do with a left back and a centre half. A playmaking midfielder would be nice to but I think Bruce is happy with our centre midfield options.

4. hbk4894

hbk4894 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Sunderland are set to renew their interest in Marseille's 25-year-old Nigerian left-back Taye Taiwo.
    Full story: Daily Mail

5. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would appear Bruce is keen to strengthen the back line as expected. In addition, the recent acquisition of Mignolet seems to only confirm the assumption that Fulop is on his way out. I really hope we can make it a full season with Gordon between the sticks, but based on the last year, we should probably be prepared for anything.

6. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taiwo would be an outstanding signing, but I find it hard to see him leaving the French Champions when you aren't in Europe, yet.

7. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lorik Cana did.:D

I dont think we will sign him though as I think Bruce sees Richardson as a cheaper and more budget enhancement option. We need to strengthen the wing and central defense areas firstly and if Rico can do a job at lb it frees up money.

Westermann to decide on Sunderland move:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/safc/Sunderland-wait-on-German-star.6374061.jp

Also Cristian Riveros has already signed with Simon Mignolet with Estudiantes right back Marcos Angeleri also awaiting Italian paperwork.

8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Brucey could work his magic and pick up another African on the cheap, Gervinho, perhaps? I have been very impressed with him thus far.

9. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really heard anything pertaining to picking up another African player, but I too wouldn't be opposed. However, Bruce has already made a few signings this summer and I don't anticipate many more with the finances. Only time will tell though.

10. dr.ahmad

dr.ahmad New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    al-muhammadi in sunderland will be valuable

we hope he signs this week as W.B.A fights to get his efforts

11. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hes already "signed" for Sunderland about 4 times in the last 12 months. I dont think its a true story and more his agent drumming up interest in the player.

Just to let you know Westerman sadly reject a move, not a massive surprise with him playing at Schalke.

12. brianasher

brianasher Member

Sep 22, 2005
    KY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously in a WC year, the rumors are a bit bare until the tournament is over. The papers are busy with their in-depth analysis of the WC so far :rolleyes:

With Hutton and Mensah both gone and likely not coming back, defense is definitely a priority. Rico wasn't a terrible LB, but he is injury-prone and still has a way to go before becoming an EPL starter in the back. He offers more going forward, but McCartney (ugh) will probably get another chance to hurt himself as well this season.

I like PdS in the back (at least for Paraguay) and hoping he is one of the guys that "gets it" after a year in the Prem.

With our apparent abundance of central midfielders, I'm wondering if Bruce is going to try Cana as a center half this season? He took to many cards and conceeded too many fouls in his first year as an EPL midfielder, he was much less volatile when he was in the back 4 on occasion.

It is looking like Riveros might be one Bruce's best signings yet. The guy has had an awesome WC so far and let's hope it translates to the Wearside. If Cana does move to the back line, we might see this guy sooner than later.

Up front, we're good. Bent and Campbell offer the speed and Jones gives us a finisher than can win some balls in the air. He is never going to be a guy who runs around balls to the wall, but he is effective and from all accounts, EPL defenders hate playing against this guy. I like what those 3 bring, and feel fairly comfortable in their ability when any of them are on the pitch. I wouldn't mind seeing one more solid striker being brought in for cover, as we know, injuries can really set us back!

13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised a move hasn't been made for Belhadj.

14. brianasher

brianasher Member

Sep 22, 2005
    KY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got our Egyptian winger/wing-back (sorry his name is tough haha).

Lost our captain Lorik Cana. Did a job for us, but that definitely gives Riveros a chance to start now.

I'd love to see a guy like Michael Bradley come in and run the midfield. He is better going forward than Catts, and not nearly as likely to chase people around and get out of position as Catts sometimes does. I think together, they could be a great central midfield pairing.

15. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ireland/Wright-Phillips would be 2 great pickups.

16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Gosling.