Transfer Talk #3: More Forwards, Less Midfielders, No Defenders

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by ilovefotball, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Thiago will no longer be considered as a talent and one for the future in Bayern. He isn’t their youth product so they will demand more from him and will be less tolerant than Barca fans if things don’t go well. Guaranteed Pep will try to give him more playing time so that he can prove he made the right decision in buying Thiago but will the Bayern fans be happy with his decision if Thiago fails to perform better than other midfielders? I think it is a dumb decision from Thiago as he won’t be get more minutes in Bayern then he would have in Barca but to achieve this he has taken more risk and less money as well. Does he really think that he will be playing the important games with Bayern when they already have Schweinstiger, Gotze, Kroos and Muller who are already fan favourites?

This transfer however shows how important it is to have a charismatic coach who can sell his ideas to the players. What the heck did Tito did to convince Thiago to convince? I mean he was in a better position than Pep to convince Thiago to stay with his team. He simply needed to show Thiago that Xavi is aging, and it’s easier to get in the Spanish NT if he plays for Barca than Bayern/ManUtd, the risk involved in changing clubs on the basis of talent alone when so many Barca products have failed to impress recently. I could have done the better job in convincing Thiago to stay if I was in Tito’s place. I think the decision to hire Tito was one of the worst decision Barca has made in recent years. He lacks Carishma, ability to change tactical formations in the game when things are not going well, gives little to no chance to the La Masia talents, and is not in a top physical condition.

We as a club has already seen how quickly can things go wrong with some wrong hiring and wrong president. I just hope history don’t repeat itself and that we begin to realize our shortcomings in every area (president, coach, transfer team) right away. Honestly, there is no one in the management team who looks half decent at Barca right now.

Does anyone else think that the talent from La Masia has dried up recently? This thanks to another dumb ass decision to hire another incompetent manager.

BocaFan, Dhajj, Forzabarca and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    There is no way we are selling Fabregas now, specially not for that amount.

4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why don't they offer 37M for Iniesta if they need a midfielder while they're at it?

5. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with most of ilovefootball:

But I would cut Tito a little bit more slack, his health didn't help the situation any last season..

It may be better to find a replacement for his and barca sake.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    No, especially considering other teams are still trying to scoop un players that came from la Masia.

unclesox repped this.
  7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Manchester are desperate after they lost Thiago. They've been needing an AM for a long time.

8. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    imo ManU is trying the impossible while there is an obvious easier route to go: after Thiago, Barca's quality AMs aren't moving. But with a new coach in Bayern who just brought in another AM, they should try to sign a Bayern midfielder.

9. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Official: Rafinha on loan to Celta de Vigo

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What's that old saying about hindsight and 20/20?
    Tito was Guardiola's right hand man and was appointed at the recommendation of Pep. At the time I thought it was a no-brainer that Tito should be given the opportunity and I feel he should be allowed to continue. He signed a two-year deal and won La Liga at a canter. Letting him see out his contract is the least he should be given.
    The only other names I remember being mentioned in this forum were Bielsa and Luis Enrique. It looks like you didn't comment at the time who you felt should have taken over so I'll ask you now, who do you think should replace Tito?
    And who did you want for president? Most everyone here wanted Rosell.
    I never felt comfortable with Rosell and went on record hoping Augustin Benedito would get elected even though I knew he had a snowball's chance in hell of winning. ;)

inswinger and Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  11. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda funny looking at that old election thread where we were worried that holding on to La Masia talent over getting imported talent would be an issue with Rosell. OK, maybe funny isn't the right word... :thumbsdown:

inswinger repped this.
  12. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Apparently it's €30 million or £25 million .

Things just getting worse by the flamin' day .

13. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think things are getting worse, I mean ManU can offer that if they want and obviously we just insta-turn it down. I don't think Cesc should be an untouchable, but at this point, he practically is that (unless we get stupid money and can be 100% sure of signing a deal with a player who'd be an upgrade from Cesc in that position - tbh, can't see that happening).

Weird offer from ManU anyway. Can't expect them to believe this works, and can't think they think Barca is the club to sign starter-like AMs from now.

14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    It would only be an issue if that kind of bid was actually accepted.

There is no way that Barcelona would agree to that. What is surprising is that Man Utd would even put a lowball offer. It has to be a smokescreen for something else, they can't realistically expect to pry away Cesc.

15. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I meant worse in the sense that the offer may upset or disrupt Cesc / the players / and US....

16. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I dunno. I mean, a low-ball offer on Cesc from ManU is unlikely to do any notable damage to anything, I'd guess.

If there's a reason (other than Thiago to Bayern) to feel pessimistic concerning this transfer period, it's the still-not-solved defence.

17. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Given the general cordial relations between the clubs, I doubt United have any intent to disrupt.

95%, it is just a smokescreen to appease the fans they tried getting someone technical before we end up signing a hack like Fellaini.

19. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The only reason I think Man Utd did this (unless there is some behind-the-scenes message from Cesc) is that it is based on the possibility that everyone at Barça is so unsettled and ready to jump ship and the want to get in first to pick off one of the top targets. Considering Cesc was just vacationing with Messi and at Xavi's wedding and that one of his main rivals for playing time just left, I highly doubt he wants to leave.

Some of the chicken littles on this board need to relax. If we sign a high-quality CB, we are in pretty damn good shape for this coming season on paper.

os_mutante and Gilmango repped this.
  20. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Last I'll say anything about Thiago:
    2 preseasons ago he briefly had the #4 shirt, and he played like he deserved it. Then came Cesc. Thiago took the #11.

This summer Neymar comes, and fans start getting their new jerseys printed with NEYMAR JR. and #11 on the back (also #7). The player himself is presented with no number, but now it looks like he will take the #11.

Maybe this jersey number shuffle was very symbolic to Thiago about how he was seen at the club. Just sayin'.

Also, if Thiago hadn't had a stellar U-21 Euros last month, would this transfer talk have even started? I feel like he had a low-key season, and without that tournament he really wasn't a high-profile enough player to attract attention from the likes of ManU, especially as a "marquee" signing. Then he hit that hat-trick in the Euro final, and he was on all the headlines... :thumbsdown:

Gilmango and evil_allan repped this.
  21. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Good point about the jersey number shuffle. I think there was some psychological element to it. Going to Bayern to be back with Pep despite the crowded midfield just screams it (even though Cesc came during his Pep's time in charge).

I remember Isco getting all the press during the Euro U-21s and then the hat trick by Thiago in the final changed the story over night. That and De Gea signing a ball "see you soon in Manchester" and Man Utd fan boys jizzing over a potential midfielder signing like we jizz over a potential CB signing. It is amazing how much that U-21 midfield got in transfer fees this summer.

Also I read something in the Guardian related to the Cesc offer that said Moyes ended up backing off the Thiago pursuit since he didn't think he'd be tough enough for the Prem.

And I read something in Marca that said that Tito never had faith in Thiago and knew about the 18 million/90 million claus. Implied that Pep did us a favor by taking him off our hands. Funny how these stories get spun...

22. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Thiago Silva has definately closed the doors on a possible move to Barcelona.
    "I plan to honor my contract at PSG"

Also PSG is most likely to get Marquinhos accoriding to some reports. I honestly have no idea who will we get.

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't mean to say we'll sign T. Silva, only that what else could he say? If he stays, he says this. If he is unsure about it, he says this. If he is leaving (but it's not finalized), he says this.

24. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    As you said it's hindsight and I honestly can't answer you who i wanted to be president when Rosell took over. I have no idea how others would have done and I was unaware how Rosell will do at that time as well. It's only when they have taken the seat we can judge and see if they did good job. I personally feel, Rosell could have done better in some areas (by not renewing Eusebios contract, saying more than if you want to leave then tell me to Thiago).

As for the person to replace Tito, this season my best candidate would have been Pelligrini and I also quite like Jose Pekerman. But now since Tito is staying put, I think everyone should give him a sincere chance. If he fails to deliver next season though I think it will be the perfect time to go after Klopp. He is the type of manager I want to see in Barca.

My post was however, intended on what we shouldn't do to go in the situation where we were 10 years back. And it was written in reterospect, that's why i am feeling that Tito's hiring was not good for Barcelona. TBH, I would have said the same thing about Pep if things hadn't worked so perfectly. So basically, I was not trying to say " I told you so" but that we did those things and it went wrong.

.Azulgrana., inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  25. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    @barcastuff: Vilanova: "The idea for the rest of the transfer window is that we sign another centre back and that Dos Santos and Afellay leave on loan."