Transfer Rumours 7: Papa Lazarou's Pandemonium Carnival

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by BridgeMonkee, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    hmmmm i guess we dont have much of a choice if we want a proven RW. well castelen had a good holland game, he would be a good potential

2. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

At this point, it doesn't matter who Chelsea want to sign. They'll always have to pay more than what they are worth. As long as RA is the Chelsea owner, other teams will charge more.

3. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wingers? o.k. here's some that come to mind.

Vincente (Valencia)
    Tuncay Sanli (Fenerbahce)
    Stewert Downing (M'boro)
    Ze Roberto (Bayern Munich)
    Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk)
    Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao)
    Christian Wilhelmsson (Anderlecht)
    Sidney Govou (Lyon)

all good players, i think. "chelsea class" players? who knows, but hey, if jurassic can get on the teamsheet...;)

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean Vicente
    How many are:
    1.Right wingers? 2?
    2.Guys wed rather have than SWP? 1? 0?

5. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Pearce said: "The bottom line is we want the going rate for a player of Shaun Wright-Phillips' ability."

Well, he'd better hope thats not what they get ;)

7. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Sky have just stated that the 2 clubs have just agreed a fee.

Are Chelsea planning on buying every player in Christendom?

8. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, I would like to think that is the end of the Essien saga.
    Too many cooks and all that.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    £21M - phewwwwwwwww.

Consider we only paid £12m (?) for Robben.

11. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Essien expects new talks with Chelsea

"I know directors of both clubs are to see each other again in the next few days," said Essien.

"I have the chairman's word that he will do everything to find an agreement with Chelsea as soon as possible."

"I did not take part in the talks. It's up to the two clubs now to agree. I have made my choice. I want to go to Chelsea."

"I have made the directors understand I can no longer stay at Lyon. My decision is firm and definitive."

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Righty-o then.
    Perhaps we'll do a player exchange plus cash?

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, it's a lot of money, that's for sure.

The only thing I WILL say about Wright-Phillips is that his defensive capabilities are very good. All, or most, of the other guys mentioned are out and out wingers. I mean, Robbie and Duffer CAN defend, and they usually try and do a job for us, but it's a more a question of getting into position and 'making the numbers up', running about in a purposeful manner, rather than getting a foot in an actually getting the ball.

This is the problem with comparing players. You can never really say that this guy is better than that guy. You can say 'Oh,' he's better at that particular aspect of the game', but to say one is definitively better than another, that's more difficult.

With some it's pretty obvious, like Frank, but that's mainly because he can both attack and defend. he's got a great shot and his positional play is good as evidenced by the number of shots he gets on target and the number of tackles he makes going the other way but with it's all a bit subjective.

I mean, look at Makalele? When you try and see what he does... well, he obviously makes some good tackles but it's only when you take him out of the side that you really notice the difference.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that JM envisaged him playing in a different position from Wright-Phillips but, nevertheless, he's still ANOTHER midfielder.

It's certainly true that you can't have too many good players but I DO question where the lad's going to fit in.

Actually, thinking about it, you can have too many good players if people upset the camp and stop others playing well by their constant whining and bitching about not getting on the pitch.

15. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I'm beginnning to agree. I say we buy him now, loan him back for another year, and bring him in next summer.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Essien I think is wanted for Europe, Arse and Manure as the third mf when we want a more defensivly capable midfield to shut down and clog the middle third and as a top class backup if Mak or Lamp were to ever have to miss that type of match.

Nobody we have now can offer what Essein, if he brings his form to England, can offer box to box in the event we had to do without Lamp for a match and should be a step up over Tiago in a 3rd mf role.

Though like Cole, SWP can play that 3rd mf spot and has defensive ability he is here to be a winger, and one only need look at how many matches we play and how many have been missed by Robben last year and Duff the last two to see the need and that SWP and J. Cole should both see plebty of time.

17. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    From the team's point of view, the more quality cover we have the better. It all comes down to the attitude of the players. They HAVE to know that they won't be the star at Chelsea. They HAVE to know that they're gonna face competition for their spot. And they HAVE to know that they may not start every game. If they have the right mind set, I'm all for adding these players. Mourinho will find uses for everybody. Remember that we'll be playing FIVE tournaments next year (including WC qualifiers). One would expect that we'll need a bigger, deeper squad than last year.

18. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    True dat, Jose often likes to go 4-4-2 in Europe, especially away.

The arrival of Essien would put a little more pressure on the sometimes under performing Tiago and Jarosik.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I have a feeling, that the only thing seeing a whole lot of pressure from Tiago and Jurassic this coming season, will be their arses :)

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wether we get Essien or not, Id like to see Eidur in his withdrawn role a lot this season playing behind Drogba or Crespo, he links up play so damn well for our attack.

21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That is the one thing that concerns me (for Eidur and Cole) about Essien, for about 90% of our matchs, I would prefer to see an attacking side with Gud or J. Cole in an attacking link mf role but it may be hard to keep Essein out of the lineup if he meets expectations as he will defend and likely position defensivly as JM likes better than those two and he has good attacking skills as well.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    definitely good news on SWP. Hopefully the deal will be sealed shortly. As for Essien, Lyon better make up their minds or else they will look like fools when next year his fee will go down.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    JM delighted with SWP:

""He is one of the best players in England," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

"He is young and he has space for development and he has the qualities that everyone is looking for in a modern footballer, he is quick, he is intelligent, he is creative, he can break by himself and shape the balance of the team.

"With him Joe Cole, Arjen Robben, and Damien Duff we have a fantastic group of wingers to compete to give us the best every other match and with him we will not have the kind of problems like we had last season when Robben was injured and Duff was injured.

"This season with the World Cup in the summer, there will be a lot of friendlies for national teams, and with five competitions we need this balance we have it in every other position, and we didn't have this balance without him so we got him and I am very happy."

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...=Jose+delight+with+Wright&channel=premiership

sounds reasonable and familiar :rolleyes:

24. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    So it's pretty clear that Jose is gonna rotate Robben, Duff, Cole, and SWP for the two winger spots.

What was interesting about our first two friendlies is that Eidur is favored for the attacking midfielder role. Our preferred lineup?:

----------------Cech-----------------
    Ferreira--Terry--Gallas--Del Horno (at least until Bridge is back 100%)
    --------------Makelele---------------
    ------Lampard------Gudjohnsen-----
    ----Duff------Drogba------Robben---

-Crespo & Carlton rotates with Drogba.
    -Joe Cole & SWP rotates with Duff/Robben.
    -Tiago subs Guddy/Lampard.
    -Jarosik subs Makelele.

25. smartbomb

smartbomb Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Here is what I'd like

----------------Cech-----------------
    Ferreira--Terry--Gallas--Del Horno
    -------Makelele----Lampard-----------
    -SWP-----------------------Duff------
    -------Robben------Drogba------------

So Duff starts from the midfield and joins the box as 3rd forward, Robben can return a little to the midfield and create from there.[/QUOTE]