Transfer Rumors 6: When will all this silliness stop?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    If I remember right, and I could be wrong, I thought they were both on around £85K to £90K per week, Duff being in the £70K bracket.

Like I said, if Gerrard walks in on even the same, heaven forbid more, there'll be problems.

Now, I don't foresee these problem being made public, at least not at first anyway, but if anybody doesn't think the players won't be saying something behind the scenes, they're being a tad naive.

It would be best all around if he went to Spain.

2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I tend to agree with you though I go back and forth on a Gerrard move. Capable of brillance but a bit too inconsistent press minded and injury prone to perhaps be worth all the fuss. Regardless of salary, Cole won't be happy to see his arrival, I imagine.

It would be fine if we just added a wing and a striker but if JM insists on a box to box cmf, if possible Ballack would be my first choice. Second would be stand pat at mf, and work Obi into the Cole -Tiago-Smertin-occassionally Gud third mf rotatation.
    Third would be Gerrard, if we are going to pay near 30 milllion for Essein might as well go for Gerrard. Fourth Essein this year, though since still not a great area of need would'nt hurt to wait a year for Essein, if he is smart enough not to extend his Lyon contract he has the right to leave for I think around 17 million next summer.

3. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    It looks like the Gerrard story is in every single paper. Apparently he has had a bust-up with Benitez during training.

I'm sure Chelsea will be linked to him, but I think he'll end up at Madrid. They still need to sign a galactico this year and Lamps isn't budging. ;)

4. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    And more importantly, we dont want to give Chelsea that much player...

5. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    hehehehe :)

6. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    I thought JT and Frank both got improved deals in the last 12 months that took them over the £100k per week level. I'm not sure I agree with giving Benitez that much money for someoneas injury-prone as Gerrard, but it seems JM is set on adding someone for that 3rd MF role. If the choice is between £25 mil to land Essien, £30-35 mil to land Gerrard, and £??? mil for Ballack - I'd still go for Gerrard.

7. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :eek:

Nope:mad: Gerrard has been trying to break away from Liverpool for a long time now.

It would be great to have a 3-man midfield of Makalele-Lampard-Gerrard
    always thought that it would be good and my opinion hasn't changed. Don't worry about giving Liverpool 20 million quid, still cheaper than Essien would be.

8. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep. I think the price will be closer to £20 million*. Not that it matters. Gerrard doesn't want to play for Raffa. Who cares what they spend the money on? A bunch of talented holidaying Spainish misfits. Liverpool without Gerrard will be lucky to finish in the top six.

* Note: We will not be in a bidding war with Real Madrid right? Sign Owen (make Gerrard even happier), let Real have Robinho. Bob's your aunties live-in-lover.

9. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So they get a little more than Crespo now eh? :mad:

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Nah, let a deal be struck between Madrid and Chelsea to allow them free bidding for Gerrard and a deal for Owen for us, make Lyon sweat it out that perhaps we won't go for Essien by giving them a last offer with the hint that we'll not be back because of the availability of Gerrard....any bobs yer Uncle mate.

Simple.

Gerrard coming to Chelsea on such a big contract will cause major upset in the dressing room.
    Plus, thats far too much money to give Liverpool.
    At the moment they're scouring the market for players in the £8M to £10m range, where good players are no doubt, but not many (if any) that will reverse a clubs fortune in one season.

Who knows, if we give them that much money, perhaps they'll land Essien!!

Let him bugger off to Spain.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, they did, but I thought it took them to £90K per week.

I very well could be wrong, but, my point is having a player come straight in on competitive wages would be a real downer for most.
    Terry and Lampard earned their wages at Chelsea over the years.
    Duff and Makelele make less, not to mention Robben, Gallas and Ferriera.

I just don't see it as a good "team" move....imho.

12. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seriously, how much do you think he'll cost?
    Reminder: Owen had one year left on his contract and went for 8 million. Two years left? 16-20 million methinks, cheaper than Essien (would you rather we sign a Ghanain?).

Liverpool will lose their heart and soul if they sell Gerrard and no rebuilding could save them. Giving pool money? Don't worry about it. Go to the Liverpool boards and you can smell the despair of the fans. 30 million quid won't help them replace Gerrard or rebuild.

Salary disruption? Nope. Just do not see it as a massive problem.

After losing Parker, bringing in another English lad would be awesome. Anf by bringing in Gerrard it'll make the signing of his mate Owen easier ;)

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Sky News have said that contract reports have broke down and will not be started.

Much as I'd like to see him come, £30M plus silly money.

Then again, SWP, Owen and Gerrrad in over the Summer would be nice I suppose.

In the bigger picture, all other teams would be better off if Gerrard actually stayed with Liverpool, imho.
    He's continually crocked, may not play well alongside Lampard as they are quite similar in many aspects of their game and will prevent a massive injection of money to Liverpools transfer budget.

A budget that must be sorted out very soon as any players that will take part in this seasons European competitions must be registered quite soon.
    Certainly before next Wednesday when the open up with TNS.

Plus, they must make a decision on Gerrrad himself before then, because, if he plays, his transfer value will drop considerably by being cup tied.

It shall get rather interesting I suppose and I would think a rather quick decision, one way or the other, will be coming.

14. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    Benitez is now insisting that he wants Gerrard to stay in his side for years to come,even be the next manager or the clubs scout if he wants to....

you get the feeling though all isnt well,when the first thing out of his mouth on the t.v. interveiw was along the lines of "three times i tryed to sign stevie last season,and three times he told me he wanted to wait"

benitez on gerrard situation.

15. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Is there any reason to sign both SWP and Gerrard...?
    I personally prefer SWP, i think, but if bringing in Gerrard means that Owen wil come easier....then i have to agree.
    I also dont see it being a huge problem that he would be payed as much as Lampard and Terry, because i assume, from the things they say and how they carry themselves, that they understand that gerrard is a world class player, just like them. If it was anyone but Terry and Frank, i could see some trouble developing, but i think they are too big and mature (although both are quite young) to throw a fuss about it.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, SWP is an attacking winger, we really need at least one more, with the injury rate of wingers and our prefered 4-3-3 system.

Though a box to box cmf is less a need, JM clearly wants one and in the event the indestructable Lamps and Mak were ever in the shop for chip repair, it would to good to have a world class one around. I think JM still may prefer Essein though and all this Gerrard talk may help close that deal.

From the Italian Media:

Parma says us and the two milan clubs very much in the hunt for Gilardano with a 25 million asking price;

(which I prefer over)

Crespo to Juve as part of a Trez deal;

The italian big 3 are all ears, and hope to hijack Gerrard.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/news.html

17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From Parma's sporting director:

"Cinquini also admitted speaking with Inter about Gilardino, but he expects Chelsea to be the favourites to capture the Italian.

"I've heard from Moratti on more than one occasion," revealed Cinquini.

"I think Milan are always interested but there might be a blitz from another side, not necessarily an Italian one.

"Chelsea, for example, seem to be not satisfied with Drogba's season. Chelsea need a goalscorer."

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...d=&title=Gilardino+can+go&channel=premiership

18. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Owen, Gila and Drogba.
    Yum.

19. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    Maybe if you're making a fantasy team. But at Chelsea, one or two of those will have to sit. I doubt Jose is targeting more than one striker.

We're supposed to be adding 3 new players, and we've already bought one, so we have two attacking players left to buy. Considering all the Essien talk, I'm presuming Jose wants one 2-way CM, and one striker/winger.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Just got back from ly little getaway and what is new? Nothing, more rumours, no signings. I really did something would be sealed this weekend. Well, so it continues.

21. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I still think we should forget about the two-way midfielder and go after a striker AND a winger.

22. Native

Native New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    I cringe at the thought of Trezeguet playing here :mad:

23. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :confused: :( :mad:

Trez at Chelsea would be a huge mistake.

24. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Vieri to sign with Milan?
    Crespo to join his telepathic buddy at Inter?

Gila to Inter or Milan?

Sheva or Adriano to Chelsea? ;)

Gerrard to Chelsea - 20 million quid well spent.
    Could there be a better 3-man midfield than Makalele-Gerrard-Lampard?
    Best midfield on the planet.
    Who cares how much the hubcaps get.