Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by 2233soccer, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ok.

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    These great college athletes were rewarded with free education and housing. The NCAA used to be amateur athletics. No one is required to participate. I have no issue with an athlete make a little money for promoting a product. That is essentially a job. But, that is not what is going on in the revenue sports, and even one case in women's basketball, where Miami bought the sisters off the Fresno State basketball team, hiding behind this NIL stuff. Boosters are setting up pooled funds just to buy players. A Miami basketball player threatens to leave if he doesn't get more NIL money. This is no longer amateur athletics. And, while you say there is so much money out there to be had, you are talking about a minority of schools. Most mid-majors and lower struggle financially.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it not be more accurate to say that college athletics is what it is because of fans and our tribal instincts?

4. Sophos

Sophos Member

Feb 20, 2020
    1. I have long believed the individual athletes at the collegiate level are not nearly as important to the money generated as people think. I think that alot of the appeal of collegiate athletics is the pagentry and culture of collegiate athletics. I think the schools hold alot of power with their branding if they chose to use it. I also think one of the biggest mistakes the NCAA ever made was making the decisions to market the individuals.
    2. I think it is naive to think that these players getting paid won't effect the the smaller sports. Boosters have a limited amount of money to give. If they choose to give the money directly to the athletes of the sports they care about there is less for the smaller sports. I think this path leads to the cutting of sports, the cutting of scholarships within sports and a eventual future where schools branch up from the NCAA with one of the issues being not wanting to have to fund the minimum number of sports. I think that women's soccer mostly survives this. I think it is a case where the there will be a large chunk of athletes that don't get the same opportunities that they have in the past because of this. You can tell me that is free market. You can tell me that is fair but you can't convince me that what happens with one won't effect the other.
    3. I do believe that the cat is out of the bag and the only solution is to adapt or die. I personally think it's sad because I think collegiate athletics was a unique thing that brought alot of value and visibility to alot of sports that didn't always get the chance, but that is the world and that is life.

SpeakeroftheHouse and ytrs repped this.
  5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

This is completely untrue. College athletics has always been about school pride and school loyalty, first and foremost. Look at all the big state schools: their fans cheer for teams representing the state--and cheer against neighboring state rivals. It's the spirit and, as others have said, the pageantry and the pride. Fans don't go watch Harvard play Yale because of the "great athletes." And the same is true of USC vs. UCLA or Tennessee vs. Florida: Even if there were no star athletes, the games would still be meaningful, still draw big crowds, still elicit state/school passion. Having great/star athletes is just a bonus.

And when I talk about full scholarships worth $200K or more, I'm talking about the revenue student-athletes, because it's they who will get the lion's share of NIL.

Fact is, college sports has been corrupted by its own popularity and marketability as TV entertainment. The non-revenue sports still retain the simple appeal of amateurism, but the revenue sports have been professionalized, and in the process the college/academic ethic has been lost or sublimated to business considerations. Paying student-athletes is more activist nonsense.

SpeakeroftheHouse and ytrs repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think activist nonsense (whatever the poster means by activist) is the issue. The amount of money that has become involved in Division I football and basketball has become outrageous for what were supposed to be extracurricular activities. This includes the value of TV contracts, coach salaries and bonuses, facilities provided to athletes but not other students, uniform sponsorship contracts, etc., etc. A lot of people look at that and say, OK, if that is the road you are going down, then you are not going to get to keep all the money for yourselves. In other words, I think it is a reaction against what has become a massive business that has little to do any more with education (see one-and-done). I do not think it is a reaction for the athletes, which is apparent by the small numbers of them who will gain any significant benefit. Or, in still other words, if we cannot stop you schools, at least we can punish you.

Something that should not be lost sight of, however, especially for women, is that from the gross amount of money generated by the big revenue sports, funding is being provided (as required by Title IX) for other sports.

Soccermom21 repped this.
  7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Serious question. What activists are you talking about?

And, has there ever been a time, when you thought collegiate sports were uniquely amateur? When did the collegiate game begin to get corrupted?

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #208 Cliveworshipper, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    well, maybe.
    The most recent NCAA report on revenue and expenses in NCAA sports showed that all but 24% of D1 football programs made money. The spend such obscene amounts on facilities and coaching salaries that they operate in the red.
    One way they mask this is by putting big expenses such a stadium costs on the books as university capital expenses and not football expenses. Likewise gigantic retirement benefits acrue to the giant salaries in state pension plans which are salary based.
    At many public universities, those capital expenses get shuffled of onto taxpayers.

this article from the International Buisness times outlines just some of this..

https://www.ibtimes.com/college-foo...millions-stadiums-despite-slim-chance-2258669

9. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Largely agree with you and that was what Saban was inferring when he said Texas A & M bought their recruiting class (ironic because I am certain he does the same). The one thing where I might disagree is that the mid majors and lower might be the ones to survive it. Their expenses aren’t as high, nor is their scholarship number and a number of the schools use the other sports to drive enrollment, rather than have the revenue sports pay for them. As long as a program can pay for itself, they’ll be all set. But if roster numbers drop, that program will head to the chopping block.

10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for posting this. I've read this article several times over the years and always forget to bookmark it.

This is the rot in college sports. Not some kid making $500,000 because he's famous. Not kids transferring because 5th year eligibility has wrecked plans. This raises costs for everyone at an institution and it's fundamentally changing the fabric of the college experience.

usoccerbabe repped this.
  11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Schools continuously upgrade their facilities to keep up with everybody else. If they don't do it, they won't get good recruits. The entire sports-entertainment complex in America is responsible for the rot in college sports--not colleges upgrading their facilities. They upgrade to stay competitive and to win, because winning generates good publicity for the school, which stimulates alumni contributions, more admission applications, etc. TV--specifically TV money--is the real rot in college sports. Why do you think the seasons keep getting longer and there is all this talk about expanding the playoffs? More games, more playoffs games, more TV games, more TV money for the schools, more advertising revenue for the networks. I deplore the corruption and greed--which is getting worse and worse--but the upside is that the increased revenues from football/basketball have very much helped to boost the fortunes of non-revenue sports such as soccer, volleyball, swimming, etc.

12. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
  13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    About that time of year again. In that last post, the NCAA policy for D1 is linked. The portal 'window' will open on Nov 8th, the day after NCAA tournament selections. The only D1 players in the portal now are 5th years looking to leave or some randoms that are not on current rosters. Nearly 100 of these.

I assume players can go to their compliance office and put their request in anytime, but I expect the portal will be flooded with transfer kids on 11/7 and that week.

The logic is that coaches and players should not be actively looking and seeking changes during the playing season. Maybe a fairness issue having everyone go at the same time? Will be interesting this year.

14. quality minutes

quality minutes New Member

man city
    Spain
    Sep 30, 2022
    my kid's team has 5 entering the portal. power 5 conference. i always wonder though, why not wait until spring and see how the winter plays out? or do the players have to enter now?

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    The idea is to condense the transfer recruiting activity to 2 'windows' each year at the end of each season/semester. Rather than having kids browsing around and coaches having to check it every week all year long.

Just like many pro leagues have transfer windows. Keeps all the speculation about movement of players from being a big distraction during the season/semester as well.

I like the merit of this change but lets see how the implementation goes.

If I were advising a player - I think waiting to experience a full year at any school is a very good idea, certainly the first year.

16. quality minutes

man city
    Spain
    Sep 30, 2022
    Makes sense. Just seems way more stressful to leave mid season. Ie- moving, weather, holidays, financial aid, scholarships,etc. Some of these players have to know where they are going? I understand no communication, but there is always a way around everything.

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it’s also more stressful to stay instead of leaving.

quality minutes repped this.
  18. Sophos

Sophos Member

Feb 20, 2020
    As, Eddie said there are two windows to enter the transfer portal now. Basically a month in the fall and a month in the spring. (I mainly like this but do think that it's got some serious drawbacks as well)
    To the original question. The main reason to transfer now is because the spring is important and by getting to a new school in January you have months to try put yourself in a good situation for games next year instead of two weeks. It makes sense. I do think that many players are leaving too quickly and early at the first sign of adversity. My thought is always to give it 3 semesters. If you are making a decision to leave after one semester you haven't really given it a chance but after 3 semesters you can really see the writing on the wall for whether it will work out or not. At this point my suggestion would be to go and be someplace in January. Not to wait until the end of the year. That is obviously just a guideline though. There are times and situation to leave a place after a semester and times that you should wait a little longer (Especially during the Covid backup)

NewbieSoccerMom repped this.
  19. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Just because they go in the portal in Nov, it doesn’t mean they need to leave in Jan. Most schools won’t have money available mid year. Depending on the relationship with the coach at the current school, they’ll often let you stay and train with the team through the spring.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible, which is what I said, that some kids do need to leave in January. There isn’t one brush to paint kids with and their situations. Simple as that.

We have no idea who, what, when, where, why, and how kids need/want/etc. end up transferring. And, quite frankly, it isn’t anyone else’s business except theirs and their family’s.

21. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Of course if it’s a bad situation. More often than not, however, it’s simply playing time. The player wants more and the coach is happy to free up the money. In those instances, they can usually stay the year and part on decent terms.

22. quality minutes

man city
    Spain
    Sep 30, 2022
    as a parent of a kid that wants to and is going to transfer, we have no idea of what or how to go about it. i can say that i highly doubt she would be welcome to stay with the team once she announces her transfer. my kid is ok with staying through spring, as it is a player driven personal development season for them, and she can focus on her personal goals. and, we don't necessarily want her scholarship to be cut, as she/we don't want a bill for leaving early. we as parents, don't understand any of this, and it has been an awful situation. we are relieved that it is almost over. we should've seen the writing on the wall from jump, there were so many red flags. we are nervous about the process and when/how to start. her concern is where she will go and the waiting game? 5 girls are leaving, with 1 more on the fence. the complaints from last year brought things down a little this year, and the coach was "warned." in the end, nothing really changes.
    the one positive note, however, is what she does have is experience, and almost 2k minutes from frosh year and this year (soph currently), and was a top 100 player her frosh year. when i read posts about this topic, i can only imagine what that player was going through. a toxic environment is toxic. and it is very real.

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t really know what a toxic environment is anymore. Seems whenever someone has a complaint these days it is because an environment is toxic.

SpeakeroftheHouse and blissett repped this.
  24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Anyone needing actual facts and advice can start with this link. You go to your compliance office and request to transfer. Strongly suggest talking with the coach first but that's not actually required. Read here:
    https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/2/13/want-to-transfer.aspx

In terms of likely outcomes, some of what's being said on this thread is a bit misleading.

If a player enters the Transfer Portal in Nov/Dec, they should expect -

-to lose their roster place on their current team
    -to lose their athletic scholarship funding for the next academic term (Spring)
    -to NOT receive the same level scholarship they have at their current school - athletic or academic. For the Spring, the student should expect no athletic money.

The research published by the NCAA and posted on this thread confirms these likely outcomes Anything else is not the likely outcome, it would be an exception.

Coaches are generally NOT in the habit of keeping players on their roster or on money the next semester, once they enter the portal. OF COURSE there are exceptions but it is the player's (families) obligation to understand the risks and benefits of initiating the transfer process.

ALSO - about "ways around communicating" I would be VERY careful about that, and strongly recommend not doing it. The student has to sign off on a statement they did not have any communications with other staff before entering the portal.
    Existing recruiting rules prohibit communication and contact with a student-athlete enrolled at another NCAA school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the NCAA Transfer Portal. These rules also prohibit the indirect use of third parties contacting individuals on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or no scholastic coach, advisor). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process. A student-athlete’s eligibility can be jeopardized at the school that engaged in impermissible communication.

25. quality minutes

man city
    Spain
    Sep 30, 2022
    thank you!