Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by 2233soccer, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Pitts leading goal scorer last year was a transfer from Albany and they had another forward who was 3rd team all ACC that transferred from Dayton.

2. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In addition to the example that Enzo gave, look at Ava Cook transferring to Michigan State from D2 Grand Valley State in 2021. Cook was the Spartans leading scorer that year in was a good transition year for them. She certainly helped them get more wins. Cook is now with the Red Stars.

Good coaches will know if a player from a “lesser” program can step in and make an impact at a higher level.

3. NewbieSoccerMom

Chicago
    United States
    Nov 4, 2021
    This brings up a question if you don't mind me asking. What are the rules in recruiting when someone is not in the portal as you mentioned Audrey above. And then there is the practical 'rules' how it happens. I know a few people who go into the portal and picked up immediately (i.e. there was a plan in place).

4. SmallSchoolGaffer

May 24, 2021
    People cheat. People tamper.

There should not be recruiting conversations of any kind when someone is not in the portal. But we all know plenty of people that do it.

NewbieSoccerMom repped this.
  5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    There will always be portal kids that get picked up the day they are listed just like verbal commits get announced by recruits on June 16th! And we will all think that's just amazing and wonder how it could've happened...

6. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    With the new rules it’s really risky to take a transfer especially if they’re young. If the quit and stay in school or even if they aren’t eligible you can’t replace their scholarship.

7. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Member

Leeds
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    I think kids and parents may find this out the hard way over the next couple years until the impact of new rules is more well publicized.

sokarcrazy repped this.
  8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  9. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Thought this was interesting from the NCAA. Guidance on the new Transfer rules for 2-Time Transfers was sent around and published. Tweet below.

Important to remember that everyone gets one freebie. This is just for the 2nd transfer. So, the kid better know the 2nd school has their major, and like the coach and their role on the team.

This is an effort to prevent kids from "shopping around" and is a step in the right direction but I think the potential "abuse" or loophole will be around evaluating "physical or mental health or well-being". Who decides this? How would this be documented?

Twitter comments are always kinda funny...

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    2 weeks to more Transfer crazy! Most of the Spring activity has been D2/3 kids and some 5th years of course. There are 2 undergrads from Pitt in there already. I think that's allowed if they were 'let go' by their current school but can't be contacted until May 1st. Waldrum runs his roster like a pro team, or like D1 men's and women's BB right now....some of them have a new team ever year!

I'm curious if there will really be a burst of D1 activity? Budgets and rosters have to be pretty tight but if some dominoes start to fall, it could get interesting even at the top of D1.

The Okla change could become one of those dominoes, esp if they decide to advertise and hire a current D1 HC, or any coach that has D1 recruiting contacts. All their 23s could make themselves available due to the coaching change. The NLI rules allow for that.

But those 2-time transfer rules that were posted above say effective for "2023-24 Championship eligibility". I think that includes anyone seeking to play next year. So, if there was an Okla transfer on their roster now, she would not get the exemption to play right away at a 3rd school even with the coaching change. Her 2nd transfer would be much more difficult.

11. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Players can get on the portal now if they are undergrad if they weren’t on scholarship money at their current school. Doesn’t mean they were cut. So the Pitt players must of not been on scholarship.

12. Lou T

Lou T New Member

miami
    United States
    Jul 25, 2022
    #312 Lou T, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    My money is on a BURST of D1 activity, even near the top of D1.

13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Pitt Update - 2 more young undergraduate transfers in the portal already. This is allowed if their "athletics aid is canceled or not renewed" or by inference, they didn't have any. These are young players, some coming a good distance away from Pitt (one from CA). Pitt had 3 Fall transfers out and now at least 4 for the Spring. This was discussed in the hotseat thread for some reason, but IMHO, not a good way to do business in college sports. So much for playing college soccer at your 'dream school' in the ACC. The new tougher '2nd transfer' rules will apply to these players so they better choose a bit more carefully this time.

Regarding contacts - I can assure you that there are calls and emails flying around and not all of the players are in the portal yet!! That is a no-no and college coaches, club coaches, parents, might want to be careful.

Here is the specific language from the manual if you're curious:

An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution's athletics interests shall not communicate or make contact with the student-athlete of an NCAA Division I [or 2] institution, or any individual associated with the student-athlete (e.g., family member scholastic or nonscholastic coach, advisor), directly or indirectly, without first obtaining authorization through the notification of transfer process.

14. quality minutes

quality minutes New Member

man city
    Spain
    Sep 30, 2022
    Is this allowed? I follow this person on Twitter. I thought this was not encouraged? I know athletes do it, but ,why advertise it?

[​IMG]
    College Soccer Truth ™
    @ImCollegeSoccer
    ·
    Apr 22

Players, The transfer portal starts May 1st through May 15th. It’s a short window to transfer. So if I was you I would reach out to your club coach to have those conversations with college coaches for you since you legally can’t yet. Have a plan. #CSTruth

15. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

I understand the idea of this close to the fall people wanting to back door the process to get a head start but I would guess that college coaches have also done it the other way around too. Someone goes to a big time program and doesn’t play and a mid major coach knows their club coach I would guess they put feelers out about the athletes plans. I would get using an intermediary isn’t allowed but probably hard to prove it’s going on so people do it.

16. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #316 Eddie K, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023

I don't trust much on this feed and it should be college soccer "truth" in quotes. That account is run by several people and at least one doesn't know the rules and has questionable ethics to say the least.

1- we know calls and emails are flying around about transfers in violation of the rules.
    2- I would not recommend that anyone take part. The first sanction or punishment would be to prohibit that player from being recruited by that school.

So if your Dad or club coach is trying to get word to the coach at your top school, that may not be your top school very long. You think rival coaches aren't paying attention to each other? The May 1st date is out there for a reason. If you're a good player, you don't need to cheat as college soccer "truth" and others may suggest.

Remember, if you go play for a coach that cheats in this way, and is dismissive like it's no big deal, then at some point, that lack of ethics and flexible attitude about the rules may come back to affect you personally. Plenty of cliche's out there - 'what comes around, goes around'

quality minutes repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I have a question about pre-window contacts: Suppose I want to find out what a coach’s general attitude is about receiving transfers. Am I free to ask the coach about that? Suppose I am asking on behalf of a player and disclose that but do not provide any information about her? Is the coach free to tell me what his general attitude is about receiving transfers?

18. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I will add that a club coach reached out to a college coach on behalf of a potential transfer player, outside the windows, and it was turned in to compliance.

And yes if a college coach is willing to cheat and or bend the rules to get you, they will certainly do it to you when it may be to your detriment.

A club coach can call a coach and say hey I have a player potentially entering the portal. The college coach’s response should be “ok, when we see her in there we can move forward.” That’s it.

19. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Yes, a coach can speak in general about their feelings on transfers and recruiting, but, let's be honest, about 1% or less (exaggeration, but not by much) of the people in the scenario you mention would take the time to call a coach and not bring up specifics of the player they are repping.

An example would be Nick Saban this weekend after their spring game talking in general about transfers and not ruling out using the portal because his QB's were crappy in the game.

Interestingly, the ND QB (who was recruited to ND by the new Alabama OC) announced yesterday he is going in the portal. It will be very convenient if he ends up at Alabama.

cpthomas repped this.
  20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    5 Oklahoma kids in the portal today. Allowed early because of the coaching change I believe. Will be interesting to see how many ultimately get in. I mentioned earlier, I would advise getting in the portal and having some options until you know what your 2023 coaching staff will look like. Of course, they could know the '23 staff and don't like it?? I don't have any insights on their process.

Let the craziness begin!

21. Lou T

Lou T New Member

miami
    United States
    Jul 25, 2022
    Seems like with the limited info on a players that go into the portal, would be very hard to sort through it. Obvious players reach out to let coaches know they are in portal and interested, but what does the process look like from coaches angle? ....asking for a "friend"

22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    8 OU players now in the portal. Once they are in the portal, that is their "permission to contact" or what used to be called a 'release' and they can then be contacted. Whomever is in charge at OU is going to have some work to do - either recruiting these kids back to the roster or others starting next week.

Getting in the portal is like being listed as "still uncommitted" before one of these big showcases. Coaches can peruse the list and reach out to whomever they want with the usual contact rules in place. Kids can visit, compare offers, etc. much like they did the first time but much smaller time frame of course. It's pretty smart for coaches to have had their meetings around or by May 1 so they know who might be leaving and so what their roster and budget look like. Clearly, some are better than others at preparing and planning for transfers. Some don't care for it at all.

If you read those rules carefully, they apply to the coaches, not to the prospect. So putting an email or voicemail out to the coach before Monday saying "look for me on May 1, I'm interested in your school" I would not consider a violation, especially if they know their forms are done and they will appear on May 1st. Any contact or feedback from the coach before they are in the portal is the violation.

Happy hunting!

23. Lou T

Lou T New Member

miami
    United States
    Jul 25, 2022
    Thanks EK.

24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018

25. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Wow, what a swell guy. A program that has had some good transfers over the years just happens to hear from 10 kids before May 1 and there's even time to give them advice. Any bets on this program having some empty chairs filled?