Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Almost done, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    After posting on another thread it was suggested to create a new one just for this topic. I will summarize my first post. After speaking with a coach, I was informed over 1,800 girls entered the transfer portal just last year with the number growing for this year. This seems to me like it could be a nightmare or a blessing for a coach. Curious for some input.

2. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    Sledhead and Eddie K - I appreciate your early input.

Sledhead repped this.
  3. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not sure who you spoke with but there are only 603 women's soccer players currently on the transfer portal this year (2019/20) and that is from divisions I & II. Last year there were only 907 from divisions I & II women's soccer. That would be about and average of 1.5 per school last year and currently at 1 per school this year

4. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019
    The uncertainty of the transfer portal in my eyes is, if you are receiving substantial academic money or full athletic scholarship. Is risking significant playtime and $ worth it for staff turnover or coaching fit? Coaches interested in you do not have to match your scholarship like for like correct?

5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Some scenarios-
    1. Player not playing much or poor fit for any number of reasons (academic, close to home, etc.) - Gets in the portal to find a better fit, they get recruited again.
    but
    2. Player does well, maybe really well, exceeds expectations - gets into the portal to get recruited and made offers. Can now go back to the first coach and negotiate for a better offer to stay. Players will learn they can use the portal to get leverage. Some coaches will need to be prepared to recruit their better players again. In D1, they can threaten their money but is that smart with a good player that you'd like to stay? In D2, they are voting this weekend to allow players into the portal without losing their award until the end of the year. This will be a requirement and no restrictions on who they can talk to. Only the same year in residency exemptions can be denied the player. That is, they can be required to sit out a year usually at same-conference schools. But that can be appealed.

There are coaches that email nearly every player in the portal that appears to be above their level of program/player. There are coaches now budgeting for the portal so saving money to compete for good kids in the portal. Some coaches will need to budget to keep their current kids with increases who go in the portal and get better offers.

There are LOTS of implications for this new 'secondary' transfer recruiting market. You can argue it's good for the player but will lead to more transfer chaos not less.
    And all right there for everyone to see. You are already hearing things like 'they've always got kids in the portal"

6. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Is the portal available for civilians to view or only college coaches?

cpthomas repped this.
  7. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    I appreciate the stats. I did speak with a D1 coach - must have been off on the numbers. I thought 1,800 sounded high considering that would be about 5 transfers per team! This particular coach had 3 players leave this year. All players that were recruited before his arrival though.

8. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Here are some schools with the higher amount of transfer numbers in the last 2 years in Women's Soccer:

Arizona - 12
    Arizona State - 9
    Creighton - 8
    Eastern Washington - 8
    Georgia State - 10
    Grambling State - 11
    Kansas State - 9
    Louisiana Tech - 23
    Mississippi State - 14
    Rutgers - 8
    St Francis PA - 8
    Kentucky - 8
    Pitt - 12
    South Alabama - 11
    South Florida - 11
    West Virginia - 12

Not sure what the heck is going on at Louisiana Tech. West Virginia always has a high amount of transfers, surprised that kids go there and club coaches aren't concerned that there's a good shot the kids will be spit out and forced out. Surprised Florida State and Florida aren't on here. Florida was notorious for years for bringing in classes of like 13-16 kids, and then cut like half of them and kept the ones that panned out. The somewhat recent new rules of not being able to cut scholarship amounts perhaps changed all of that.

9. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    No, only coaches and staff can see it.

10. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    UCLA football had 63 players on the transfer portal in two years so any kids who are unhappy for whatever reason will just put their names in without giving much thoughts

12. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    At first glance their doesn't seem to be much correlation to athletic success. You have programs like Arizona, Rutgers, WVU, USF who have been successful and programs like Arizona St, Kansas St, UK and Pitt who have been awful.

There doesn't seem to be correlation to length of tenure. You long tenured coaches like Rutgers, USF, WVU and then newer coaches like GSU, MSU, Arizona St.

There have always been transfers. I guess the real question, has the transfer portal affected the number of players who transfer or merely brought it to light in a more public way?

13. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Successful programs will have a high transfer rate due to kids leaving to find a place they will play more. Schools with new coaches also have a high rate as the coach tries to bring in their own players. The list above has some successful programs as mentioned, and also some new hires like Pitt, St Francis PA, and Kentucky.

The one thing that would help lower the transfer rate is allowing D1 schools to have recruits tryout as D2 schools can. It would enable players to see what they’re up against and allow coaches to make more informed decisions without needing to bring in more than they need to cover any errors.

All the focus these days seems to be on full year seasons (especially the men’s side), when the focus should be on fixing the transfer problem. It is unnecessarily the single biggest issue on the Women’s side. The number of transfers in D2 is much lower.

14. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I believe FL was mandated by the university to carry 35 players for title IX purposes up until 6 or 7 years ago so that probably played a role. You would see all these FL kids just going there as walk on with the hopes of convincing the staff they could do it. UCF had that issue when Cromwell was thee, basically had a varsity and JV team.

15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this fact? FSU is another public university in Florida and has never had a large roster.

16. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was told by coaches on both staff's so I am assuming it is a fact. It would not be a state rule but more school by school. They usually do internal title IX reviews to know what they need to do. For example FSU has beach volleyball and that is another female only sport that helps with those numbers for title IX.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  17. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    These numbers are SHOCKING. 10+ is half a roster if you eliminate senior class doesn't count. Why would both Arizona schools be so high and no other PAC 12 teams make the list? At first look of the type of schools listed, most are schools that look better on a t-shirt before you actually get to campus and realize - oops. Anybody have other guesses for the why?

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    it’s available to who the Athletic Director signs off on. Give a million dollars and ask.

19. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I will kick in 1000.00. Are there 999 more out there that want to share the log in credentials?

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Or you cold buy he AD a beer.

Sledhead repped this.
  21. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019
    What is the likelihood of getting a like for like scholarship or better when transferring as a 90 min player in top 25 program to a similar program? I know it's a rare occurrence, but it does happen right? Thoughts?

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Quite possible if a player meets a need at the new school. Better to do your research as to what those needs might be where you want to go. The new coach will want to know why you are leaving. Nobody wants to inherit somebody else’s problem.

if you will go anywhere, the odds go up.

23. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks for feedback, no inherited issue... Discussions have been had about seeking more challenge and better leader to accomplish end goal. Couldn't ask for a better package, but looking for more ferocity in program/player mentality.

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I think the player has to be careful too. Why is the player leaving is an important question but so is, Why does this coach need transfer players? or why do they have money available for transfers?
    The answer to your question about a player being able to 'upgrade' is really, it depends. Typically, coaching changes are the main cause of suddenly available money or you might say, an impending coaching change, that is, a coach that panics and decides to turn over their roster. Or maybe there's an incident or some negativity causing players to leave. Does a player want to transfer into a mess even if the money is good?

I think it would be interesting if there was somehow an "inverse transfer portal". That is, coaches could put up their available roster slots and scholarships and desired positions. So a player looking for a 75% scholarship and is a left sided forward could shop for the best available college. Currently, players looking to transfer never really know what any given coaches available budget is unless there's an obvious public transfer since they can't look at the portal themselves.

For example, you might be able to research who those 12 players that left WVU were (cited in previous post), but you can almost never tell how much money they were on, and so is now suddenly available.

Of course, if the money doesn't matter to the transferring player, you've got tons more options! Just get into the portal and start reaching out to colleges.

Tigmon repped this.
  25. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    My daughter faced same dilemma, stayed and still regrets it to this day. I would bet any starter for a top 25 team would find plenty of places willing to create space for a full scholarship. My DD's coach dumped a kid or two a year to open money for a new player and I would assume the practice is much more extensive today (it has been a few years for us) with current day pressure to win.