Training Strategies

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by Soccertes, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there are many people who select 1 training regiment and they sell those young trainees to purchase players for other positions on their team. I fail to understand how this can work successfully.

Let’s say I do Playmaking training and I play a 352 for league games. I have the following 3 midfield starters for the weekends:

Player A- 28yrs magnificent playmaker
    Player B- 30yrs magnificent playmaker
    Player C- 19yrs outstanding playmaker

Now I start purchasing young 17yr old playmakers (passable, solid). I purchase 3, play them in friendlies for 2 seasons, and then sell them. With that money I maybe buy 2 great defenders (hopefully… is that reasonable 2 defenders that are brilliant or world class, or is it more like only one defender that’s brilliant or world class? I understand it depends on the market and what you sell your players at and how much the others cost, but roughly is that possible?)

Then I do the same thing again I purchase another 3 young 17yr old playmakers (passable, solid), play them in friendlies for 2 seasons, and then sell them. With that money I maybe buy 2 great Forwards. (again, is that reasonable?)

Now my starting midfielders (Players A, B, and C) are 32, 34, and 23 yrs old respectively. Players A & B are going to have to be replaced. How do I go about doing this?

Do I, again, purchase another 3 young 17yr old playmakers (passable, solid), play them in friendlies for 2 seasons, then sell them and try to buy two 23 yr old midfielders? Problem is the drop is midfield skill and level between the 32 yr olds and the 23 yr olds will be huge! My midfield will take a big hit.

So what am I not understanding?

Thanks!

2. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two ways to do it:
    1. "Graduate" trainees into your top squad. If you do this right, and with middies it's easier, you can avoid having any large declines in midfield performance.

2. Bring in skilled 20- or 21-yo players to be your "starter" trainees ahead of your younger trainees.

I've always done option 1. With keepers, I would have a pretty substantial fall-off at that position (typically about a season and a half worth of training) but simultaneously offset it with acquisitions elsewhere on the field. With wingers, the degree of impact of a changeover has been variable.

3. bmalek

bmalek New Member

May 6, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    If you are just going to start training something (say PM in your example) get rid of your current PM's unless they are under 21. Then buy 3-4 17 y/o's, and 2-3 18 or 19 y/o's at a higher skill (18 excellent early in the season, formidable later, 19 formidable at start, higher if later). This way you have 3 good IM's (depending on what division you are in, you may have to deal with losing more often for awhile, or paying more for trainees to compete) and 3 prime trainees. When your starters get to around 22, replace them with your backups (which should be around 20-21 by then), go out and buy 17 y/o's again and spend the rest on other positions.

One of the key things that I should have done but did not is spending less on trainees (after my first purchase of them). I wanted really kick butt trainees (week 1 solids with good secondaries), and it is just not worth it. In the long run it is better to spend 10-50k on a 17 y/o week 1 inadequate with secondaries rather than 2 million on a 17 y/o week 1 solid. Spend the other 1.9 million on other areas you need to improve. When you go to upgrade to other positions, buy 23-25 year olds, but nothing older. This way you upgrade a position and that player can be on your team for 5 or 6 seasons and still be good.

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    You should buy 6 17-18yo solid/excellent trainees, get your butt kicked for a little while and build them up.

You should never have any players playing in trainee positions that are over 21 - as a general rule.

5. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I've been thinking about this lately. I have a 20-y/o outstanding pm with excellent passing. I've had him for a few seasons. I train pm regularly with a few weeks of passing thrown in. The original plan was to sell him at formidable passing, but he's refused to pop there. Should I just sell him when he hits brilliant or wait maybe 2 or 3 seasons for him to be mag/form? I know ageing effects his price and training rate, but I want him when I go back up next season and I'm hoping that formidable passing will make his price skyrocket when he hits it.

6. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are too many exceptions for this to really be worth raising. Outside of keeper and winger (which train too fast), even a high-level V club is likely to need sufficiently skilled players that they need their starters to be 21+.

7. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To really train the high-end Uber(Combo)Wingers, you will have to start them at 20-21, to ensure a high enough PM skill before starting to train their Wing. I am talking about PM levels that are Brilliant and higher.

I agree with with you on what an establish V team will want to train for his A-Team in PM especially.

8. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    That's why I said "As a general rule". It sounds like this guy has a fairly newish team (maybe his 3rd or 4th season), and he should not have any trainees 28 or 30 years old.

He is throwing money away.

9. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but this still doesn’t make sense. I’m going to buy 6 17yr players with passable playmaking. I train 3 during league games and 3 during cup games/friendlies on Playmaking skills. When they turn 19 I keep 3 (Players A,B,C) and sell the other 3 to buy, let’s say, a better Defender and 3 new trainees. Now I train my players for another 2 seasons. My starting players (A,B,C) are now 21 and from what I read on these boards I should sell them. So I will then promote the young guys I’ve been training. But this way my midfield will never improve and be more powerful. Actually in this case my midfield will take a big hit. My midfield will always cap off at Formidable or Magnificent (or whatever it is). Am I understanding this right?

10. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should be able to do 19 and brilliant, I'd think... my star uber-trainee was purchased as a late-19 (now 20) WC PM.

Of course, he's going to be 22, at least, before he's finished training, as I want to get him up to ca. WC/WC.

11. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where my observation comes in -- you will reach a point where you can't afford to turn your MFs over at 21 because at that age, they're only just reaching the skill level you need.

When you do turn them over, you can either promote internally (having trainees on e.g. a six-season cycle) or start over with an externally purchased player who's 19 or 20 and partially trained already.

12. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK I understand what's been said on these boards. I currently have a training strategy that I'm implementing and I want to see how that goes before I try training players and selling them off as suggested above.

Another question: How much does secondary skills effect a player's field worth (not money worth)? Meaning if I train PM and then train Passing, will my inner midfielder's offense increase by much due to the passing skills? Or would it be better to just continue training PM for another season or two rather than waste it on Passing training since PM training will give you more bang for your training time than passing training would? (I hope that made sense).

13. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not many people do long periods of training passing. A lot of debate about how much it's worth.

You usually get more bang for your buck with better strikers and wngers as far as attack ratings go.

But if you've trained your mddies as far as you want, nothing wrong with passing training. I'm considering that at the moment myself.