Training Roster Set for HDC Match

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by GLBryan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Re: Latest from training camp

For a guy who responds to a post with "you've obviously never seen Hucles play" - you sure are quick to point out the "cheap shots."

I will continue to poke you with the verbal equivalent of a sharp stick when the occasion (or your level of sanctimony) requires it. If you feel debased, some of your own medicine may be in order. If you feel I am debased, well, I appreciate your concern :rolleyes:

Oh yeah strawman my butt - a full national team coach is responsible for building a player pool that can win the next major event. Tony's player pool (with VERY few additions) was good enough to win the '03 WWC and both subsequent Olys. That's four years out from '99 (his LAST year and the culmination of a preparation cycle). While I don't think Ape managed the player pool well, I don't think you can blame a coach for trying to pick the best team available. BA is doing a great job of expanding the MNT player pool - but not with an eye beyond Germany '06! Why should Tony have been more prescient than that? (and how could he do it?)

2. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

Andy, I respect your opinion and we are watching 2 different players. yes, I have seen ANGELA HUCLES play live many times (WUSA and USWNT)but cant point out anything she did that stood out. i was at the Philly FCT and watched her until she was subbed, I saw nothing to change my opinion. I even watched what she does when the action is not near her. (I don't believe she had many touches in that game, and really the entire team stunk up the joint that night)...

I am willing to change my opinion on players if i see that i have been incorrect. I have changed my opinion on Bivens and I think she is getting so close to NT level, now that she has a good training coach with the Freedom Reserves
    Can you honestly say that she has been an effective player since the WUSA folded? What do you see that she keeps getting called in? Where are you seeing this ?

A national team player should be able to Dominate in the W-League, Fotop, O'Reilly...(Yes, I know they are forwards, and Cat reddick has more goals than Hucles, Racheal Unitt(ENG, DEF) will probable have more in less games - heck Branham(GK) may end up with more

Granted one of hucles games was against the Wildcats,but that still leaves 3 goals for 4 games where she should be dominating the oposition(At least with some assists). i would have liked to see her play this week against the Wildcats but the US players will not be there.

W-League stats games minutes Goals Assists
    18 Hucles, Angela 5 505 3 1 Forward

Wagner at least has high level distribution skills...

Sorry to offend you with using APE, it is just an easier reference than APRIL, It was not meant to be offensive toward the past coach.

I Critisize all players as I see fit... I have my Favorite like everyone, but she plays for the Wildcats and not on the WNT.

3. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

If she is in the running for spot number 20, then why is she getting all these caps?, he is looking at the Defence, why is not bothering to look at other slots and give a cap to someone else.

4. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    All this interest in 2 players is a bit over the top - much like all the fretting over a certain photogenic defender. Ryan is far from setting his roster, there will be lots of time to weed out the non-performers. As for Chastain and Milbrett - Chastain was a no-brainer and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Milbrett fail to make the 2007 squad. Not that I have anything against either of them. Chastain just got old and slow - and 2 more years was not going to make matters any better. Milbrett needs to prove the theory that her biggest problem was April - I don't think it was, but we'll see.

5. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    I don't think April was Milbrett's only problem. I think she was exhausted and burned out as well. The Millie experiment is certainly getting a lot of attention from USSF. She has gotten a lot of coverage on their website. They even have streaming video of 12 of her 100 goals up there. I think that's great but wonder where they were when Lilly scored her 100th.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    FWIW....

LoTheLurker, who lives in El Lay, told me several days ago that the ads in the area promoting Sunday's game prominently feature Millie.

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i think this is absolutely on point. i think hucles and wagner are good players who belong on the team. they both have limitations and i would not start them against teams like germany. but you are absolutely correct in that this is 2005 - it's just early days. if these ladies can't win games for ryan he'll send them home.

sometimes i think that some posters have the impression that coaches keep certain players who can't play because they "like" them. that's nonsense - they like what said players bring to the team that's why they keep them.

admittedly each of us would do differently if we were the coach. hence the interesting discussions here.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The objective is to develop a squad of around 30 regular players in order to have a fit/healthy/in-form 20 ready to go when a major tournament rolls around. I would suggest that both Wagner and Hucles are both on the current top 20, and quite possibly will both be in the top 30 - if not 20 - in 2007. They're both young enough, and they've both shown enough potential to discount them at this stage. Hopefully they both get better - or Ryan is able to identify someone else who is better.

Whether they're on the field or not, it's way too early to tell. I do expect that many of the heretofore regulars will slowly disappear from the squad over the next year.

9. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia

What is it specifically in her game that helps you see why she is being called up?

10. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    To me, Hucles is the kind of player that does not hurt you, but nor does she impact a great deal. She's just a workman. She should be auditioning as a bench player who can come in for spot minutes.

Wagner should still be auditioning to start as long as improvements keep coming. However, if Ryan is unable to nurture her fairly quickly, it is time to move on.

11. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Why not develop a team where every player can start against Germany. Would that not be the goal ? Sorry, It would be nice to see some new faces getting on the roster for some friendlies.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    there is an 11-woman team where every player can start against germany. even if we had an 18-woman roster where you think everyone can start against germany, you'd still have 11 who were clearly starters. so you'd still be saying "i wouldn't start [__??fill in name??__] against germany".

and if you're thinking that we can have a 24-woman roster where every player can start against germany, you're dreaming imho, or at least you severely underestimate the germans. in our best 24-woman roster everyone can be a starter against ukraine, but not against germany or against brazil.

i am seeing new faces on the roster for these friendlies by the way.

13. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    That would be an awesome problem to have. Then we could have agruments about who should be starting as opposed to who should be on the roster.

Agreed. It's nice to see some youngsters out there. I've actually enjoyed watching Wagner in these last two. You definitely can see shades of brillance there. In the Ukraine game she also seemed to be working hard. In the Canada game I remember watching her one minute and thinking "OMG that was awesome!" and then a few minutes later thinking "OMG, Aly really should have been there/covered that/ ..."

What am I missing with Hucles? When I watch I see nothing extraordinary.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Nah-- there'd still be people arguing that so and so didn't belong on the roster... too young, too old, hasn't ever won a starting job, went to unc, didn't go to unc, has been unjustly keeping this other one on the bench... whatever :)

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm going to LA for a weekend of soccer. Galaxy vs. DC United Sat. and WNT vs. Iceland Sunday. I hope to see some of the young new talent get in the game Sunday along with some of the vets. You know, I've been one of those who has hoped that Hucles would prove all those who doubt her wrong. But I wasn't impressed with her myself in Virginia Beach. Her ball handling wasn't impressive, she looked a little slow and may I dare say, seemed a little heavier then before. GLBryan you were at the VB game, what did you see from her?

17. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    Ditto.

18. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I should have said, new faces for the the Mids.... when choosing between Tarp and Hucles, it ain't even close

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Is anyone showing any signs of choosing Hucles over Tarpley?

And at this point--37 caps-- Tarpley is hardly a new face.

20. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Speaking of mids, I'd really like to see Ryan take a look at Logterman. I sure liked what I saw from her against Canada's U19's. The USA lost that one but Logterman never lost a 1-v-1, never coughed up a ball under pressure and never missed a pass. As solid as solid gets.

21. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 Player Roster Announced

Ryan Names 18 Player Roster

Congratulations to Lori Lindsey!

And welcome back, Mac!!!! (although I'm not sure how much playing time she will get with that many forwards...)

22. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info!! :)

23. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Does anyone in Iceland NOT have a surname that ends in 'dottir'?

24. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    Someone on the PTP board suggested that it meant daughter. As in daugter of ...