Tragedy at Furman University

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by FIXXXER, Oct 11, 2002.

1. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Tragedy at Furman University (non soccer)

Gray Griffin, member of Furman Univ. and US Youth national teams was killed in an automobile accident early Friday morning.

This is the news link:
    http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/1714757/detail.html

I post this only so that we can all keep Gray's family, friends, and teammates in our thoughts and prayers. I think this truly hits home for a lot of us and puts life into proper perspective.

2. king eric

king eric New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    SOCON
    Tragedy at Furman

*edit* FIXXXER posted this as well, while I was typing...

I thought many of you might not be aware of this yet--
    Freshman defender Gray Griffin was killed in a car accident last night. Three other players were hurt, as well, though they are recovering.

Read the article at www.furmanpaladins.com

My prayers and thoughts are with Gray's family, the injured players, and with the team.

-king eric

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wow. That is sad news on so many levels. My thoughts are indeed with Gray's family, friends and teammates.

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Re: Tragedy at Furman University (non soccer)

Wow what an absoulute shocker!

Of course my prayers go out to the family, friends and teamates of Gray Griffin. I'm very sad to learn about this tragic accident and the loss of a very bright young man. This is a further example to show us all the fragility of life and how fleeting our time here can be.

I did get the opportunity to see Gray play several times including as recently as last week in the SLU vs Furman match.

5. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Man, they were all just up here playing in St. Louis last weekend. Furman will be in my prayers.

6. comettiger

comettiger Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Terrible Tragedy

Sorry to hear this terrible news. Our prayers will be with the Furman family.

7. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tom, I just realized that this is the same kid who played at SLU during the U-17 Qualifying matches last summer. He was the tall center back, right? I saw two of those games and thought the kid was on his way to being one powerful force for the US back field.

8. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    You are correct. That was him.

This is a terrible loss for his family and the overall US soccer community. :(

9. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts
    That's horrible. Sad news to wake up to. My thoughts go out to his family, team, and teammates.

10. Ocre

Ocre New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    A Prayer

Dear Furman Family:

May The LORD bless you and keep you;
    May The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious unto you;
    May The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace."

11. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
  12. Srod

Srod New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Atlanta
    I have had the pleasure of meeting Gray and his family and they are great people. I'm very close to the Furman soccer community, so this hits very hard.

He was a great kid and there are going to be alot of people hurting and trying to get through this, but Doug and his boys are strong.

They'll get through this, but will definitely need the prayers from everyone out there.

13. The Greensboro Pride family send our thoughts and prayers to the Griffin family and the Furman Soccer family.

14. El Golazo

El Golazo New Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Washington DC
    So sorry to see this. What a shocker to open the Washington Post this morning to be saddened by the news. Really makes you stop in your tracks and cherish the fragile, precious life of the young. My prayers for Gray's family and all persons whose lives he touched, and for the physical and emotional recovery of his friends.