Tradition

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ratdog, Oct 5, 2014.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a picture of the Barnburners at the old Soldier Field earlier today and it got me to thinking about Tradition. It's the first named pillar of "Tradition. Honor. Passion ."

Tradition is the practices we enact as a community that are based on our shared experiences as captured by our collective institutional memory. Hauptman is trying to wipe that memory so he can erase our traditions.

With the exodus of the first few generations of fans now mostly complete, we are in danger of losing our collective memory that serves as the basis for our traditions. That collective memory is made of largely of those moments that crystallize and refine who are as a group - both on and off the field. The on field moments are a matter of historical record. We can go back and watch the old games if we want. But the moments that primarily involve the fans need to be preserved as well because they help define us and provide context for newer fans. It is those moments whose memory we must keep alive. A few random examples:

* Peter Wilt bringing USWNT star Tiffeny Milbrett to a Barnburner tailgate after the famous Women's World Cup in 1999 where we convinced her to try a Chicago-style hot dog (she liked it).

* Switching ends of the field at the USOC game against LA at Naperville.

* Greeting the new white-and-black Sparky with "Sparky took a bath! Sparky took a bath!"

* Chris Costello starting the "We're still in denial" chant at MLS Cup in Columbus in 2001.

* The despair in the Fire fan section of RFK after the final whistle of MLS Cup 2000.

* Joining both teams at the restaurant after games in KC in 1998 and 1999 and watching Roman Kosecki and Piotr Nowak smoke like chimneys.

* The Ultras lighting off flares and smoke bombs at the old Solider Field and then kicking themselves out en masse by just leaving.

* Nate Jaqua as a traffic cone (I still have that cone).

* Raccoons this year.

* Any number of bus trips, legendary tailgate events, tifos, etc.

None of these will appear in any archival footage from the team or league. If we don't share them with each other, they will be forgotten and that would be a shame. So I invite everyone to share their memories and photos in this thread so that our collective memory and our traditions can endure no matter what McMeddler tries to do.

[​IMG]

goldclover, bunge, Jiggly_333 and 5 others repped this.
  2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 ratdog, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    In 2000, English fan Chris Bergin came to visit. This was back when the Soccer America Graffiti board was going strong. MLS fans came in from all over the US for the Fire-DCU game. Chris' team, York City FC, provided him with a banner that he presented to Peter Wilt. After the game, an epic night of partying was enjoyed in River North and I wish I could remember more of it.

At the time, it really solidified in me a feeling that the American soccer fan community was something different from other sports fan communities here and that we really are connected to the bigger global game in ways we couldn't imagine.

upload_2014-10-5_12-29-17.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I always have a strong connection to the games that were played in Naperville. Sure, the Stadium was shit, but the sense of community that was present during those times was amazing.

I owe those old time Barn Burners for literally carrying me from bar to bar because I couldn't stand straight.

bunge, fireman451, skinut and 2 others repped this.
  4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, ordering a beer at Features right before you left for kick-off in hopes that it would be served to you soon after you got back there after the game....

Rulas and HeyFireGO repped this.
  5. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some jackass ;) (he hasn't aged well) with Bob Bradley and Piotr Nowak circa 2007 in the Stadium Club after the Cracovia friendly right before the US won the Gold Cup in 2 days time...

[​IMG]

goldclover, Ke1n, Chris M. and 5 others repped this.
  6. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    goldclover and harrylee773 repped this.
  7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Seriously, not only are you mentally ill and a liar but you know nothing about the history of this team. So STFU.

skinut, loonixxx and xtomx repped this.
  8. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know what our previous jerseys look like, thanks partly to the FO.

9. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You're a piece of shit

skinut, fireman451, xtomx and 4 others repped this.
  10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you know that your Master is trying to destroy our traditions. Either that or you're a liar. Which is it, O Psychologically Damaged One?

skinut and bunge repped this.
  11. danimal60914

danimal60914 Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks primarily to the generosity of @mlsarchives.

12. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rip Van Stinkle :ROFLMAO:

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So, where you in the Stadium Club today, little metal guy?
    If so, congrats. I hope in your excitement you did not soil the pristine carpet.
    Did they let you sit at the "adults'" table, or did you have to sit at the kids' table, with the other impetuous brats?

Or, more likely, did you just steal this picture from twitter?

14. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Chicago Fire Twitter account is a dead give away.

What is the one to the right of the new 3rd? That looks sweet.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How much are they paying you? I wouldn't mind a DP salary to promote the club on BS.

16. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not promoting shit. He is driving me further from this club than I have ever been before. He's bridging the gaps between longing for the past to ambivalence and then from resignation to hatred.

skinut and xtomx repped this.
  17. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on topic. Not my picture but this came from the whole Osorio fiasco:

[​IMG]

ratdog repped this.
  18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    nearly the entire team came down to the hotel bar after MLS Cup 2003 to commiserate with the travelling fans. I confessed to Jesse Marsch that he'd become a much better player than I ever expected. I may have been intoxicated. Due to the class and poise of that team, it's one of my favorite memories despite the pain of the match result.

19. El_Floppo

El_Floppo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 El_Floppo, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Majority of those jersey's are post-Hauptman takeover. Not even a jersey from the inaugural season. So much for tradition.

skinut repped this.
  20. El_Floppo

El_Floppo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction, the 5th jersey from the left might be the keeper's jersey from the first season. Can't tell for sure though.

21. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still want to know about that vertical red and white stripe one.

22. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Someone accidently put an Ajax jersey in there? Well I guess it's the opposite of Ajax actually. Looks like this old Arsenal kit.
    [​IMG]

23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Looks like a circa 1998 FWFK special alternate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ratdog, loonixxx and HeyFireGO repped this.
  24. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't remember carrying anybody anywhere. I do remember pissing on a dude who was sleeping on the corner of Chicago and Washington after the Battery game. Was that you?

And I think your tab is still open at both Features and The Lantern, at least I think it is. I know I keep putting my drinks on your tab, doing so right now.

skinut, loonixxx and HeyFireGO repped this.
  25. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the quote of the 2014 season.

Think the FO would put that on a game ticket next year? Just as a background image or something. Class it up, make it cubist and let Murtaugh put his artistic flare on it so it's wrapped around some obscure Chicago landmark in old Fire colors - red and white.

bunge, Saeyddthe, ratdog and 3 others repped this.