Trading goalscorers

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, May 22, 2007.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Cunningham thread is locked but I'd like to address an argument made there. It says the fact that JC has been traded 3 times is evidence coaches don't want him around. Of course it's also evidence that other coaches do want him.

Most of the top scorers in league history have changed teams during their careers. Moreno, Kreis, Razov, Cunningham, Diaz Arce, Lassiter, Ruiz, and basically Donovan have changed teams. Only Twellman of the top scorers has played his whole MLS career with one side. McBride, too if you go down the list that far. Given that proven finishers are a rare commodity, why do they move so much? Maybe teams sell high when they sense a player has passed his peak. Why can't the Crew find a finisher? Did we make a play for JC or did MM veto an offer? If you remember, when McCullers traded Cunningham to Colorado, he seemed to settle for less than full value and had some parting shots too.

2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd just like to say that anyone who thinks that Jeff is a Cancer is dead wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Cunningham — Date of Birth: August 21, 1976

Cancer, The Crab -- June 22 to July 22

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's important to look at the circumstances of the moves...

Moreno: After one mediocre injury-riddled season, was shipped to NY in a salary move. After an even worse injury-riddled season, was shipped back to DC for "future considerations". Injury had a lot to do with both trades, IMO.

Kreis: I think we can throw out the (very!) brief stint with TFC as expansion draft madness. His playing time and production at Dallas had started to fall, and RSL needed some veteran leadership for their first season.

Razov: Need we bother? This is a guy who seemingly only plays well for Bob Bradley, and is a known "locker room cancer" for everybody else. We saw his petulance first-hand here, regardless of whether or not the target was deserving.

Cunningham: Discussed to death.

Diaz Arce: Two good years in DC, a good year in New England, and then three consecutive seasons where he never played more than half of any given season with one team, and was sub-par most of the time. The closest he came to replicating earlier success was 9 goals in 13 games for Tampa Bay in 1999. I can't recall all the specifics of his moves, but I believe a lot of time he was a victim of SI squeezes.

Lassiter: Two good years in Tampa Bay, a blockbuster trade to DC, where his success continued. He was shipped to Miami (can't recall why), who promptly folded. He went to KC, had an unsuccessful season, was traded back to DC, where he was even worse.

Ruiz: Been traded once. Shipped out of LA to make room for Donovan.

Donovan: Never traded, but has played on two MLS teams because of his unique loan arrangement, followed by a brief stint overseas, followed by a sale.

Which has a lot to do with the perception that he's a "locker room cancer".

4. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does the Cunny to TFC mean that the "Fear Jeff" banner will make a comeback this weekend?

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quickly Fid, close this thread, too!

6. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't often visit the forums of other teams but I'm wondering if anyone else around here (Big Soccer) obsesses over a player that has been gone from the team for three years like we obsess over Jeff. :confused:

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Sh!tcago fans still have goo-goo eyes for Ante. Not that we want to be in that sort of group.

8. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's in large part because most other teams have had players to talk about on their teams since then. Maybe this year we'll finally have somebody to makes us forget Cunningham, in Schelotto. But always remember this is the Crew. If anybody can mess up having a Schelotto, well, we know who they are.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I agree with Dave's remarks.

Part of the reason we still talk about Cunningham is the contrast between his continued success after departing and the team's continued stumbling. We traded him for the pick that became Kei Kamara. Kamara can't do as well in reserve matches as Cunningham does in senior side matches. Once upon a time the Crew had an abundance of scorers. In a 3 year stretch we got good production from McBride, John, Washington, Cunningham, and Buddle. Since then, all have departed but none have been replaced.

10. crewken

crewken Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Columbus

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. :p

12. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it does not. I wouldn't bring a banner to support an opposing player, and unfortunately I will not be making it to this game.

13. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    If Jeff was born one day later, he'd be a virgin!

14. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'M the CANCER. Maybe I should stop coming already! ;)

15. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might as well add John Wilmar Perez to that list. He, Cunningham and usually one other rotating hot-forward were an absolute scoring juggernaut one season.

16. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don't worry, JC's ego has already arrived and will gladly take your seat.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....:) don't you mean "and will gladly take your section"....