Trade offer for Pablo

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenie,
    Any idea how serious the Rapids are about making the deal happen? Time frame for the deal getting done?

2. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Trade Brewing in Rapid Land?

[​IMG]

3. tsink

tsink New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    You're dreaming. I doubt NE would trade Noonan for Mastroeni straight up. Mastroeni is a very good player, but certainly doesn't warrant the league's leading goal scorer, another solid starter, and a solid squad player.

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dipsy Selolwane(current leading goalscorer in African WCQ), Sumed Ibrahim, and Chris Armas.

Also, some beef and Polish.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noonan's great, but Pablo brings more to the table that NE needs. You have wonder boy Twellman (who had an off year, but he's still the franchise player in NE) and I know that Noonan had a great year, but I still see him playing 2nd fiddle to Twellman as long as he is in NE. I'm just wondering if he doesn't want out.

Cancela is marginal, only because I'm sure Nicol gets frustrated with his South American/lacksadaisical style of play, even if he does provide moments of brilliance. He also didn't see much playing time towards the end of the season, and it wasn't due to injury. Given Dempsey's emergence, and ability to play the attacking role, combined with Cancela's lack of defensive work, I would suspect he's most definitely on the trading block.

Dorman is solid, but he's probably a reach, given his potential. Brillant is probably more likely of the two.

Then again, we don't even know that it's the Revs that are looking to trade. I think it's safe to assume that it's most definitely not Chivas or RSC. Neither of them have anything we want right now...

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Revs should have to pay extra because BA chooses to call Pablo in? Hell, if I were them, I wouldn't trade Dempsey for Pablo straight-up, much less packaged with 2 other players. However, DC could take Pablo off your hands for Jason Thompson, Eliseo Quintanilla and Dema Kovalenko! :)

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Razov, Buete, Pause for Mastro

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is off the table, Dorman is off the table. There is no way Nicol would let these players go. So any deal regarding NE will not have these players in them.

And I doubt that a deal of Noonan, Cancela, and Dorman for Mastroleni would ever be made, it's just outrageous. Add Chung and a draft pick and maybe a couple of ears will perk up.

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Capone,
    Is that you and your boyfriend?

10. black&blue boy

black&blue boy New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Denver
    I think the Rapids are going to get screwed in this deal. NE doesn't have anyone that they are willing to trade that I would take. They are not going to give away any starters and there bench has no depth. That is why after a few injuries they weren't able to win a game in the regular season. The result will be the Rapids receiving an injury prone Joe Max Moore with two bow-legged subs that will be cut in the pre-season. We can't be that desperate, can we? Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of a wish list than anything else. Honestly, do you think any of the proposed trades on here are remotely even? Most of them are either taking the best that the other team has to offer (like Noonan, Cancela, and Dorman) or other team's supporters chipping in with whatever baggage they would like to unload (a la Razov, Kovalenko, Metros forwards, etc...).

If NE was really considering 3 players, I would say Cancela is definitely in the mix, probably Brillant and after that, your guess is as good as mine. I'm just saying that Noonan would fill the need the Rapids have for a reliable goal scorer. I don't see them giving up Pablo for 3 inconsistent (not to say they don't have potential) players. As Rapids GM, if you are going to trade Pablo, you better get some quality starters out of the deal.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we will. The Rapids have never shown good skills with player moves (except for the Cannon deal).

13. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As another team's GM, I wouldn't give 1 quality starter and two bench players for Mastro. That would be a horrible deal on another teams behalf and the Rapids make out like bandits. Any deal will have to include another player if the Rapids are looking for 3 players.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

We sure kicked ass on aquiring Paz and Bravo and the Valderama/Kotschau deal.

Also, I think Pablo sucks in the midfield unless he's surrounded by extrodinary talent to cover the fact that he can't generate offense.

He's much better suited to the back line when the team is set around him.

15. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    His perfect ball to EJ against Jamaica notwithstanding... right?

I think Pablo's ability to contribute to the offense can't be judged in his time with the Rapids, not given the different positions he's had to play nor the fact that the Rapids weren't exactly capable of finishing even the simplest of opportunities.

As a d-mid his offensive contributions will always be limited, especially because they'll largely be dependent on how well his teammates move off the ball.

16. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's me and yo mama, slut.

17. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, the report said 3 players, so that's the information we have to go with. Unless the Rapids get a starting player out of the deal, they are screwing themselves, so do the math.

For a team in sore need of some defense - Matt Reis is the reason the Revs even made it past the Crew - Mastro would definitely solidify your back line (or defensive midfield, although I think Joseph is pretty good there). Then again, we're just taking shots in the dark here, it's doubtful that the Revs are really the team involved in these talks.

18. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

[​IMG]

19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the worst part is that I own that movie.

20. Rapfan?

Rapfan? New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Colorado
    Hmm Are Counce and Hankinson still in charge????

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Let me ask you this: how's the left side of Colorado's defense at present?

The Magpie

22. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franchino? I'll take Kotschau, not that Franchino is awful, but he's not worth letting Pablo go. Kotschau is solid, although they could probably move him to central defense to cover for Pablo's absence. If I'm Balboa, I'm still not buying.

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    If a team's willing to offer up three players for Mastroeni, then they're a club who wants Pablo badly enough, has enough resources at their disposal to make something of a roster dump in the process, while still being in relatively good shape after the fact.

You do have some question marks on offense, this with Zisi having been out hurt, Spenny having an off-year, and questions as to whether Powell will return. You've also lost Antonio de la Torre and Jeff Stewart, so you give up something in terms of distribution.

I'll offer up this albatross then:

Joe-Max Moore, Jose "Pepe" Cancela, and Felix Brillant. Pepe can start right now, and Brillant can give you speed off the bench (out wide right or left), and JMM would give you a bit more leadership and experience at Forward, something that could be lacking at the moment... and form what I understand both he and Cello are pretty good friends.

Thing is, JMM is carrying a high cap number, and has been injury-prone over the last few seasons. Cancela has one option year on his contract, while Brillant probably isn't going to develop into a true MLS caliber player.

Are y'all willing to give up Pablo for that?

Probably not.

The Magpie

24. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely the other team is the Metros?

25. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    You must have missed the part you quoted me in where I say unless he surrounded by quality talent.

So what I'm saying is ... he's no the guy that is going to create chances with passes or dribbling ... but he'll hit a player that can create chances with runs. Make sense?